How to calculate the covalency of a compound

[AlCl(H2O)5]?2

Grade:11

3 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Valency is the combining capacity of an atom. It is equal to the number of electrons the atom loses, or gains or shares when it combines with one or more atoms.

Depending on whether the atom loses, gains or shares electrons, the valency may be positive or negative or neutral respectively.

Example: Valency of sodium is + 1, because it can lose one electron. It is represented as Na+. Valency of oxygen may be - 2 if it accepts 2 electrons i.e., O2-.

If two or more atoms combine by sharing electrons i.e., not losing or gaining electrons, then the valency numbers are neither positive nor negative. In the case of carbon dioxide, carbon and oxygen atoms, do not, lose or gain electrons, and their valencies are 4 and 2 respectively.

Certain atoms exhibit different kinds of valencies. This is because such elements can loose more than one electron from their outer most shell depending on the available conditions. When such atoms exhibit variable valency, the name of the atom with the lower valency ends as -ous, and the one with the higher valency, ends as -ic.

Lower Valency Higher Valency
Cuprous Cu+ Cupric Cu++
Ferrous Fe++ Ferric Fe+++
Plumbous Pb++ Plumbic Pb++++
Mercurous Hg+ Mercuric Hg++
Aurous Au+ Auric Au+++

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

vijesh jayan
49 Points
13 years ago

OK

NOW I UNDERSTOOD

THNX BUDDY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sanjay Bansal
13 Points
3 years ago
In this compound i.e. [AlCl(H20)5]^-2 ; covalency of Al is 6 not 2 because it is forming bonds with 6 legends i.e. 5 H20 molecules and 1 Cl ion

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free