Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

1.Why lone pair-lone pair repulsions are more than bond pair-bond pair repulsions?

2.Why the bond pair electrons not repel each other and if they do so why they make bond?

3.The orbitals are negatively charged due to the presence of electrons in them then how can two orbitals make hybrid?I mean that the hybrid forming orbitals have same charge so they should repel each other and the hybrid shouldn't be formed.

Please answer these questions and please tell me why I can't see anybody's reply on my questions?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear nitin,

Following are the reasons:

An 'electron cloud' may be a single, double or triple bond, or a lone pair of electrons . A lone pair of electrons is a non-bonding pair of electrons .'electron clouds' are negatively charged since the electrons are negatively charged, so electron clouds repel one another and try to get as far away from each other as possible . lone pairs of electrons exert a greater repelling effect than bonding pairs do . lone pair-bonding pair repulsion is greater than bonding pair-bonding pair repulsion and lone pair-lone pair repulsion > lone pair-bonding pair repulsion > bonding pair-bonding pair repulsion.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
the electron affinity of chlorine is 3.9ev how much energy in KCAl is released when 2g of chlorine is completely converted to cl- ion in gaseous state
write the eqn. Cl2 + 2e- ----------->>> 2Cl- 2/71 moles would give 2/71*2 = > 1/71 moles. For 2 elctrons, Energy = 3.9 * 2 /71 = >0.109 eV. = 0.109 * 1.6022 * 10^-22 = 0.17676 * 10^-22...
Vikas TU 28 days ago
find n; log(17/11)=(1-n)log(35/54) i know u can do it with calculators tell me the correct steps. thanks
Dear Priyesh, Sharing personal information and contact details is strictly not allowed on this forum. Please make sure that you must follow forum guidelines else your account will be...
Forum Team 2 months ago
Contact me on WhatsApp for answer. Dont forget to approve view ucckcbzdlgkdkgjzkgkxjblvhxlbgvphhxvhxjuzvcfxkbuxjbixhvkxxkchzivjzvxhckcgclvyxohuzyfi
priyesh dixit 2 months ago
Explain why a sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond.
sigma bond is formed due to head on head overlapping of s orbitals. so ,they form stronger bonds as compared to pi bond which is formed due to parallel overlapping and gets easily broken...
ankit saurav 9 days ago
Is vicinal dihalide more stable than normal than other halides and dihalide?
Yes, i think so as single carbon atom attache with more than one halide is a advantage. it leads as a strong base and could lead to an elimination reaction easily.
Vikas TU one month ago
What is the difference between and Benzene structures?
Dear student The first structure given by you is canonical structure whereas the second one is resonance hybrid structure.
Bhavya 2 months ago
Both the structures are same . Resonance in actual takes place in benzene like this as canonical form. And therfore the pi bonds chnges with past pace that the structure appears as circle...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn