Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

can u plz explain me the born haebers cycle and how it is used to calculate lattice enthalpies??? i am not able to apply it??

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear ocean,

Based on Hess's law Born and Haber in 1919 developed a simplified and cyclic method to correlate lattice energies of ionic crystals to other thermodynamic data. For example, the net energy changes during the formation of sodium chloride from metallic sodium and chlorine gas can be represented by DHf·

formation of sodium chloride

The overall process is thought to take place in following intermediate steps:

Intermediate steps

(i) Metallic sodium into gaseous sodium atom

The energy required per mole of sodium is 'enthalpy of sublimation' which is represented by (Hs). This step is energy consuming process.

conversion of  metallic sodium into gaseous sodium atom

(ii) Dissociation of chlorine molecule into chlorine atoms

The energy required per mole of chlorine is 'enthalpy of dissociation' represented by (d)

Dissociation of chlorine molecule

(iii) Gaseous sodium atom into gaseous cation

The energy required in this process is called Ionization energy (IE).

conversion of gaseous sodium atom into gaseous cation

(iv) Gaseous chlorine atom into gaseous anion

This step involves the release of energy referred as Electron Affinity (EA).

conversion of gaseous chlorine atom into gaseous anion

(v) Combination of oppositely charged gaseous ions to form solid crystal

This involves the release of energy referred as lattice energy (U).

The various energy changes in different steps are as shown:

born haber cycle for  sodium chloride

Born Haber Cycle for NaCl

The sum of the energy changes taking place during various steps is equal to DHf i.e., heat of formation of NaCl(s) according to Hess' Law.

heat of formation of sodium chloride using hess law

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

N factor for potassium ferro cyanide in acidic medium
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
n factor is the no of electron transfer for single atom or the oxidation state of central atom . in the complex K4{FE(CN)6} 4(1) +X +6(-1) =0 X-2 =0 SO, X= +2 SO, HERE its n factor is +2 in ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
The dye acriflavine,when dissolved in water has its maximum fluorescence emission at 5080 angstorm . the number of fluorescence quanta is on the average 53% of the number of quanta absorbed...
ALERT Using the wave length of maximum absorption and emission ,what % of energy is emitted as fluorescence? This line is not matching with given datas...... Please recheck the question and...
Adil Khan 3 months ago
@ richa The questions are incomplete , Kindly recheck the question and post it again . REASON- maximum light absorption should be mentioned The energy of a photon is inversely proportional...
I have a many books for physics H C Verma class12,ABC physics class12,ncert physics class12,and rudiments physics mcq and i am also taken a tution of physics then i am confused how i study...
@ manish What u need to understand is that , every book explains the same concept , every author have diffrent approach to explain the same concept . so, by that i can say first of all...
look brother dont get scared by seeing all thoose books.just leave all the rubbish biooks except hc verma ad ncert .never leave them.all your friends will be dong that and this books.just...
sunny 3 months ago
How to remember all the reactions and the reagents and catalysts simultaneously?
@ vamshi practice is the only thing that can save you in organic chemistry , frst of all when u are reading from ncert , underline all reagents and reactions as well as the catalyst...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Liquation of which gaseous substance will arise as a result of momentum imbalance in electronic distribution? (1) Ammonia (g) (2) Carbon dioxide (g) (3) Na+(g) Cl–(g) (4) Xenon (gas)
But bro! the answer is not that.... Answer given is Xe...and I feel the question is taking about London dispersive forces, hence the answer may be Xe...
Giri sripathi 26 days ago
(3) option. Na+ (g) Cl- (g) as only this compounnd is inic in nature. Rest are covalent ones like NH3 , Xe(g) and CO2.
Vikas TU 26 days ago
What are biodegradable and non-biodegradable detergents?
Biodegradable detergents: Cleansing agents or detergents which are decomposed by microbes are called biodegradable detergents. Their molecules have less branching. Non-biodegradable...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
1. Biodegradable Detergents are those detergents which can be degraded or decomposed by microorganisms present in water.such detergents have straight chain of hydrocarbons in the...
somprasad 3 months ago
1.Biodegradable dete rgents :Detergents having straight hydrocarbon chains are easily degraded(decomposed) by microorganisms .e.g.sodium lauryl sulphate. 2.Non-biodegradable detergents...
xavier 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn