Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

A sample of hard water contains 96 ppm of SO4 2- and 183 pppm of HCO3- and Ca 2+ as the only cation.How many moles of CaO will be required to remove HCO3-from 1000 kg of this water?If this water is treated with the amount of CaO calculated above,what will be the concentration (inppm) of residual Ca 2+ ions in one litre of the treated water are completely exchanged with hydrogen ions,what will be the pH ?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

In 106 g(= 1000 kg) of the given hard water, we have amount of SO4 2– ions = 96 g
amount of HCO3 – ions = 183 g
So amount of SO4 2– ions = 96 g mol  = 1 mol
and amount of HCO3 – ions = 61 g mol
 = 3 mol
These ions are present as CaSO4 and Ca(HCO3)2.
Hence, amount of Ca2+ ions =  2.5 mol
The addition of CaO causes the following reactions:
CaO + Ca(HCO3)2 → 2CaCO3 + H2O
1.5 mol of CaO will be required for the removal of 1.5 mol of Ca(HCO3)2 in form of CaCO3. In the treated water, only CaSO4 is present now.
Thus, 1 mol of Ca2+ ions will be present in 106 g of water. Hence, its concentration will be 40 ppm.

Molarity of Ca2+ ions in the treated water will be 10–3 mol l–1. If the Ca2+ ions are exchanged by H+ ions then,
Molartiy of H+ in the treated water = 2 × 10–3 M
Thus, pH = – log(2 × 10–3) = 2.7

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
What is the hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 and in N(SIH3)3
Dear student Hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 will be sp3 whereas in N(SiH3)3 will be sp2 due to back bonding.
Bhavya one month ago
How can we compare the dipole moment of CCl4 and CH2Cl2
@ apoorv in the case of ccl4 , they have tetrahedral shape and they are symmetric , so, they have dipole moment as 0 . in ch2cl2 the polarity vectors of two H atoms add up to cl atoms but...
Umakant biswal 29 days ago
Thermal stability of ionic compounds why is more than covalent
I ionic compound, the ions are attached to each other by strong electostatic bond between the +ve and -ve ions. They are arranged in a crysrtal lattice where lattice energy is very high. But...
Shaswata Biswas 29 days ago
What is solubility product ?? On what factors it depends .
@ simran Solubility product ( Ksp ) is a equilibrium constant in a chemical reaction in which a ionic solid dissociates into yield its ion in the solution . general formula for the...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Liquation of which gaseous substance will arise as a result of momentum imbalance in electronic distribution? (1) Ammonia (g) (2) Carbon dioxide (g) (3) Na+(g) Cl–(g) (4) Xenon (gas)
But bro! the answer is not that.... Answer given is Xe...and I feel the question is taking about London dispersive forces, hence the answer may be Xe...
Giri sripathi 21 days ago
(3) option. Na+ (g) Cl- (g) as only this compounnd is inic in nature. Rest are covalent ones like NH3 , Xe(g) and CO2.
Vikas TU 21 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn