Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

how is a pi bond formed? i kno it is becoz of sideways overlapping of the atomic orbital. but my question is how will it look in 3d... where can i get a pic of this??????? 

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear shreyas,

A Pi bond is formed by the lateral or side ways or parallel overlapping of P-orbital of the atoms which are already bonded by a sigma bond and their axes are coplanar. This type of overlap generates two types of molecular orbitals:
(a) Pi-bonding molecular orbital (p-orbital)
(b) Pi-antibonding molecular orbital (p*-orbital)

A pi-bonding orbital has two regions of electron density below and above the nodal plane.The electron contained in it are called pi-bonding electrons which form the pi bond. It is not linearly symmetrical with respect to the bond axis, rather it has a nodal plane.

Pi-bonds are weaker than sigma bonds.
In Pi-bonds, electron density lies in the regions above and below the nuclei.
Compounds having pi bonds are more reactive.
Pi bond is formed when two atoms already bonded by a sigma bond.

You can find a beautiful pic of pi bond formation in NCERT book.....

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

what are the total formulaes of atomic structure in bohr atumicc model
@ harshith your query are not clear , i guess u want to know about the formula related to the bohrs model of atom , if i am correct then below are the explanation and i am enlisting all the ...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
mvr=nh/2pi Kq 1 q 2 /r 2 =mv 2 /r Energy of electron=-13.6*Z 2 /n 2 eV Radius=0.529*n 2 /z A Velocity of electron=2.18*10 6 Z/n Rvolutions per sec =v/2r(pi) Time for one revolution=2r(pi)/v ...
Mudit 2 months ago
The total mass of 1 mole of electrons is ?(Mass of 1electron=9.1*1o-28g)
MASS OF I MOLE ELECTRON=MASS OF 6.022X10 23 ELECTRONS Mass of 1electron=9.1*1o-28g hence mass of 6.022X10 23 ELECTRONS = 9.1*1o-28gx 6.022X10 23
bhavika 3 months ago
25 ml of solution of Ba(OH) 2 on titration with 1M – solution of hydrochloric acid gave a titre value of 3.5 ml the molarity of Ba(OH) 2 solution was
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
@ debashis i think u can surely recall the formula that is M1V1/N1=M2V2/N2 so, by applying the value from the question we will get N1=1,V1=25, M2=1,V2=3.5,N2=2 the answer turns out to be...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@umakant. Your answer is right.But N being the weight/eq weight,Is it not N1=2 & N2=1 ? The mole ratio of acid to base is 2:1.
Anjitha 3 months ago
I have the honour to state that I have faced some problem with those question below: 1.which compound dissolves in water:alkene,alkyne,alkane,benzene. 2.why C 6 H 5 OH is more acidic than...
@ emon i am answering the 2 nd part of your question . c6h5oh is more acidic due to resonance stabilised phenoxide ion . on the other hand in the case of ch3oh neither ethanol nor ethoxide...
Umakant biswal one month ago
S8 Molecule does not reacts with chemical reacts but Sulphour atom reacts chemical reactions why
S8 is a molecule . S is an atom , s8 just happens to be one of the molecule sulpher can form out of 8 sulpher atom . this means that it will not always be written as s8 in a chemical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
S8 is present in crown shaped form which makes the molecule stable and innert in nature. The innert nature is due to high electron density, which repells the other electrons and thus it...
KAUSTABH PAL one month ago
plsssss tell hybridisation structure of BF3...... and angle , and plsss tell did we get that.
sp2 should be its hybridization. and geometry should be Trignol Planer. and angle should be 120 degree.
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn