Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

all the halogens ixist in gaseous state at room temperature. then why not iodine and bromine?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Deeksha,

It basically has to do with the mass and dispersion forces. Iodine has the most mass and the most electrons, so it has the strongest dispersion forces and so is able to exist as a solid.Bromine exists as liquid while Other halogens exist in the liquid state.

Bromine is the only non metallic element that is a liquid at room temp , and one of only two elements on the periodic table that are liquids at room temperature (Mercury is the other).

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

how to derive gay lussac`s law of pressure and temperature relationship
pressure is directly prop to temp at constant volume. so here v is const and no of moles is p= a constant * T …........ P/T = a CONST
2017 years ago
two elements have electronegativities 1.2 and 3 then hte bond formed between them is 1.Ionic 2.Polar Covalent 3.Coordinate 4.Mettalic I think the ans is Polar Covalent since for an ionic...
An can element X with to the electronic configuration 1S2 2s2 2p6 3s2 would be expected to form the chlorine with formula
2017 years ago
Give Faraday’s First and second laws of electrolysis?
First Law: It states that “The amount of substance liberated, deposited (or) dissolved at an electrode during the electrolysis of an electrolyte is directly proportional to the quantity of...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ karna Faraday's 1st Law of Electrolysis - "The mass of a substance altered at an electrode during electrolysis is directly proportional to the quantity of electricity transferred at that...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
2 moles of an ideal gas at 2 atm and 25 C are compressed isothermally to one third of its volume by an external pressure of 6 atm. calculate q, w and del u
At isothermmal del U = 0 . W = nRTln(Vf/Vi) = > -2R*298*ln(V/3V) => 57.75 JOULE. U = Q + W As U = 0 Q = -57.75 Joule.
Vikas TU 12 days ago
Sir, when it comes to organic chemo we have many equations. I wanted to know if ncert organic chemistry can get me a rank in aiims/neet.
@ sakshi organic chemistry have many equations , but if you have done it clearly in class 11 th , then it will not be difficult for you for sure . so , for that at least do reaction...
Umakant biswal one month ago
i have not prepare that well for cbse or iit please give advice for how can i complete my subjects and get good grades.
@ shivam donot get frustrated , there are enough time left for cbse board exam to prepare . now , what u have to do s below 1- read out the ncert only , and solve exercise and intext...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn