Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

A 2:1 mixture by volume of SO2 and O2 at an initial pressure of 15atm is allowed to reach equilibirum at 250°C.

2SO2(g) + O2(g) <-> 2SO3(g)

The equilibirum pressure was found to be 11atm.

(i) Calculate the partial pressure of each gas at equilibrium.

How to do this question???

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

SO2 and O2 are in 2:1 ratio by volume and total pressure is 15 atm. So, Pressure of SO2 is 15 x (2/3) = 10 atm; Pressure of O2 is 15 x (1/3) = 5 atm

2 X moles of SO2 combines with X moles of O2 to form 2X moles of SO3. So, the total decrease in number of moles is X.

From the given data, X is (15-11) = 4

At equilibrium, partial pressure of SO2 is 10-2X= 10 – 8 = 2 atm

At equilibrium, partial pressure of O2 is 5-X= 5 – 4 = 1 atm

At equilibrium, partial pressure of SO3 is 2X= 8 atm

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

two elements have electronegativities 1.2 and 3 then hte bond formed between them is 1.Ionic 2.Polar Covalent 3.Coordinate 4.Mettalic I think the ans is Polar Covalent since for an ionic...
An can element X with to the electronic configuration 1S2 2s2 2p6 3s2 would be expected to form the chlorine with formula
2017 years ago
calculate the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is allowed to enter into an evacuated bulb of 50 litres...
the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is: W = -P(change in volume) = -1 * (50 – 5) = -1 * 45 = -45 Joules.
Vikas TU 29 days ago
why nature favours crystalline solids ? what is meant by anisotropic and isotropic character of solids ?
Because it forms the crystal lattice which can extends in all directions. Isotrophics are those which has all the properties same in all the respective directions Anistropics are those...
Vikas TU one month ago
Can`t understand how to name compounds in IUPAC and common names, and how are they attached to compounds??
@ pallavi KIndly be specific , as there are so much groups in alkanes which can be attached , else u can just post a pic of organic compound and i can give u the full explanation on how...
Umakant biswal one month ago
the dipole moment of hydrogen chloride with bond distance 127 pm is 1.03D.the % of ionic character of its bond is
We know the dipole formulae that is: Dipole Moment = charge x distance D = 1.602 x 10^-19 x 127 x 10^-12 x 1/(3.36 x 10^-30) = 6 pm ( approx.) ionic charcter % = > 1/6 * 100 => 16.66 %
Vikas TU 9 days ago
Which of the following is not true for PCl 5 (a)Its three P-Cl bond lenghts are equal (b)It involves sp 3 d hybridization. (c)It has regular geometry. (d)Its shape is trigonal bipyramidal....
@ mudit i am sorry , all the four statement are actually correct , so, none of them will be false . in the frst statement it state that – 3 of the bonds are equal – thats true ,. three...
THe answwer given in book is ©.I think it is incorrect but want to make it sure so waiting for more answers.
Mudit one month ago
@ mudit option no a turns out to be the correct answer , as in pcl5 , all the bonds are not equal while 3 of them are equal and the rest 2 p-cl bonds are actually greater than these 3 . and ...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn