Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Elevation of boiling point and depression in freezing point are proportional to molality, but Osmotic pressure is proportional to Molarity. Why they show difference in terms of concentration terms, though all the three  are colligative properties?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

To answer this question, we need togo back to the definations.

molality-it is the amount of solute present per unit mass of the solvent present in a solution.

molarity-it is the amount of solute present per unit volume of the solvent present in a solution.

from the defination we can see that with change in temperature, the volume, not the mass of a solvent changes. hence, molarity changes, not molalaity. hence in the concepts involving change in temperature, like elevation in boiling point, etc it is wise to use molality as it does not changes with temperature.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

The no. of orientation in a shell of orbit no. 5 is
The number of orientation level is described my m values . So find it now by using it . But your question is no clear of what is 5 , so I have given you the concept , find it . HIt approve...
Drake 28 days ago
can you please explain me detail that Is milk of magnesia a suspension or it is a colloidal solution?
@ sai milk of magnesia is called as magnesio hydroxide , , and anything which contains suspended particles in it , we define that as suspension , " so, it is a suspension of mh (oh) 2 in...
Umakant biswal 28 days ago
Milk of magnesia is a suspension in water in a colloid there are small particles floating in the solution showing colloidal effect but in case of milk of magnesia or paint there is a...
Biswajit dash 28 days ago
The phosphate of a certain metal M is M3 (PO4)2. The correct formula of metal sulphate would be??? Please explain the answer and thank you in advance.
the metal will be from II(A) Group i.e can be Be,Mg,Ca Etc. since, M 2+ PO 4 3- By cross multiplication we get this formula.
2017 years ago
Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
Which Reference Book Is best for Organic Chemistry for 1 st year
Arihant organic chemistry or u can use study materials of akash or allen they provide excellent basics
Biswajit dash one month ago
@ anirudh if u have 2 year left for jee , then go with organic chemistry by morrision and boyd . but at first make sure , u did ncert properly , as they have a good explanation in mechanism ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
state kohlrausch law of independent migration of ions? write one of its application
This principle is known as Kohlrausch's law of independent migration , which states that in the limit of infinite dilution, Each ionic species makes a contribution to the conductivity of...
Umakant biswal 15 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn