Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 520 off

sir help me to solve these problems.write the compounds in decreasing order of their co-valent character.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

The proportion of covalent character in an ionic bond is decided by polarisability of the metal cation as well as the electronegativity of both elements involved in bonding. Polarisability is further decided by the density of positive charge on the metal cation. For instance, NaF is a very stable ionic compound. Na(+) bears only 1 unit of positive charge and sodium is of low electronegativity. Thus Na(+) shows negligible tendency to attract electrons. For F(-), fluorine has a very high electronegativity to keep electrons around itself. Thus, it is presumable that electron cloud in NaF is not so distorted and it has a very large proportion of ionic character. Another opposite example is AlCl3, a considered-covalent compound. This is because Al(3+) bears 3 units of positive charge and shows strong tendency to distort the electron cloud, thus the covalent character in Al-Cl bond dramatically increases and predominates.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Current 10 amp passed througj cuso4 for 32min 10 sec.if 896ml oxy liberated at stp calculate efficiency of cell
from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = 0.896/22.4 = 0.04 efficiency = (0.1-0.04)/0.1 * 100 => 60%
Vikas TU one month ago
Nmm thanks buddy.a small mistake valency factor n=4.because 2h2o gives o2 + 4h^+ +4eso the moles=.05 nd the answer is 80%
Pulkit Khandelwal one month ago
What is hydroxial ppt?.................................................
It is defined as the number of milligrams of potassium hydroxide required to neutralize the acetic acid taken up on acetylation of one gram of a chemical substance that contains free...
Surbhi Sobti yesterday
Hydroxide Precipitation of Metals. The most common used method to remove soluble metal ions from solution is to precipitate the ion as a metal hydroxide . ... At a pH of 8.0 nickel has a...
Umakant biswal yesterday
Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
Why Hydrogen Sulphide precipitates Zinc Chloride in neutral medium & not in acidic medium.
@ gagandeep kindly see the below reaction zncl2 + hc = 2hcl + zns then its a double displacement reaction . as its a double displacement reaction , it cannot have suitable condition in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
why cynide are use during preparation of benzoin from bezaldehyde
Dear student Cyanide is used in benzoin condensation as :- 1.It is a very good nucleophile 2.It is also a very good leaving group.
Bhavya one month ago
What do you mean by orbital dipole moment due to lone pair?
the dipole moment is actually affected by the presence of a lone pair of electron because the electrons on the central atom can cause shielding effect as the inner orbital electrons does...
Umakant biswal yesterday
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 520 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn