what is the role of Hg in the clemmensons reduction of carbonyl compounds??????????

what is the role of Hg in the clemmensons reduction of carbonyl compounds??????????

Grade:12

5 Answers

Priyanka Chahal
12 Points
6 years ago
Hey! It is not only Hg ..n instead of it is mixture of Hg with metal .. see here with Zn so we call it Zn Amalgham ! And in the Clemmensen, addition of acid protonates the ketone, and electrons from the Zn(Hg) are delivered to the carbon; the new hydrogens come from the acid, while the oxygen is eventually expelled as water.
Abc
47 Points
6 years ago
the basic question is why we use Zn amalgam and not Zn only????????????hope you understand my question
Priyanka Chahal
12 Points
6 years ago
Plz read the whole answer 😕.. I already give your question`s answer that here Zn(Hg) is for providing electron to ketone which are protonated by acids ! Thanks .. u also have to understand my answer
Abc
47 Points
6 years ago
can we use Zn only because Zn is a metal and should be able to provide electrons.why then we require AMALGAM form of Zinc.
Priyanka Chahal
12 Points
6 years ago
Amalgamated zinc is a powerful reducing agent, with a standard redox potential of −0.76 V. The amalgam does not have a passive layer so it is a more effective reducing agent than zinc metal. While zinc form many layers of oxide on it ! Now it may help You 👍👏

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free