Kindly help me out in the 49 th question, the answer given to be is the 1 st option. but i dont understand why it is not the 3rd one

Kindly help me out in the 49th question,
the answer given to be is the 1st option.
but i dont understand why it is not the 3rd one

Question Image
Grade:12

6 Answers

Khimraj
3007 Points
7 years ago
Stability of carbon free radicals is as 3°>2°>1°. So correct option is 3.Hope it clears. If u have doubts then please clearify. And if u like my answer then please approve answer
cool matrix
80 Points
7 years ago
See the empty p orbital of carbocation is in conjugation with pi bond resulting in better overlap. This decreases its energy which inturn inceases its stability. in option 3 its stable due to hyperconjugation but resonance is a bigger factor due to delocalisation of electrons. Hope u got else be free to ask doubts and pl approve if u like.
megha
10 Points
7 years ago
thank you,yes free radical stability order is 3>2>1...according to this the 3rd option seemed right to me too
but however the answer given to be is the 1st option.
does double ond have any play in free radical stability?
Khimraj
3007 Points
7 years ago
Sorry for correction as the resonance effect is more stable and so 1 and 2 are more stable than 3 and 4. And also equivalent resonating structure are more stable than other resonating structure. So 1 is most stable.Hope it clears. If u have doubts then please clearify. And if u like my answer then please approve answer
megha
10 Points
7 years ago
thank you,so resonance effect is more stonger than the hyperconjugation making it more stable, can you please explain about equivalent structures and how to determine them?
Khimraj
3007 Points
7 years ago
Equivalent resonating structure means all are exactly same.Hope it clears. If u have doubts then please clearify. And if u like my answer then please approve answer

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free