Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Give Classification of lipids

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Based on their chemical composition, lipids are classified as follows:

(A) Simple lipids (homo lipids): Simple lipids are alcohol esters of fatty acids which include,

1. Neutral fats (glycerides): Also known as triglcerides, these are triesters of fatty acids and glycerol.

2. Waxes: These are esters of fatty acids with long chain monohydroxy alcohols.

These have higher melting points than neutral fats.

(B) Compound lipids (heterolipids): Lipids with additional groups are called compound lipids. These include:

1. Phospholipids (phosphatids): These contain additional groups e.g., a phosphoric acid, nitrogen containing bases and other substituents.

2. Glycolipids: These are esters of fatty acids with carbohydrates, and may contain nitrogen but no phosphorus.

(C) Derived lipids: These are the substances derived from simple and compound lipids by hydrolisis. These include fatty acids, fatty alcohols, mono and digglycerides, steroids, terpenes and carotenoids.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Thermal stability of ionic compounds why is more than covalent
I ionic compound, the ions are attached to each other by strong electostatic bond between the +ve and -ve ions. They are arranged in a crysrtal lattice where lattice energy is very high. But...
Shaswata Biswas one month ago
which is better for organic chemistry is it solomons and fryhle or ranjeet shahi???
@ chandrasekhar solomons are better as it explains each and every concept more precisely , specially the mechanism , u can use that for mechanism . but ranjeet shahi explains the concept in ...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
solomons is the best organic chemistry fo jee . you can lean out side knowledge through it.and also you can be the one who can think brroad on reading it
bharath 2 months ago
why p mitrophenol is major product than o nitrophenol ?
@ yogesh in the case of para nitrophenol , the interaction between the molecules are stronger due to intermolecular hydrogen bonding . and results in more stability and majority also . on...
Umakant biswal one month ago
why water has specific heat capacity? Explain
Water's high heat capacity is a property caused by hydrogen bonding among water molecules. When heat is absorbed, hydrogen bonds are broken and water molecules can move freely. When the...
Gajula Sandeep 2 months ago
Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
The mass ofa nonvolatile solute of malar mass 40g/mol that should be dissolved in114g of octane to lower its vapour 20% is.........
For immiscible mixtures, the relation in pre partial pressures and mole fractioon is: Pa’/Pb’ = na/nb 0.2P/P = na/(114/114) na = 0.2 moles of solute. Mass of the solute = 0.2 * 40 => 8...
2017 years ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn