There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Resolution of Racemic Mixtures

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

when an optically active compound is synthesized, the product formed is found to be an optically inactive racemic miture containing equal proportions of both d and l forms. The process of separation of a recemic mixture into d and l forms is called resolution.

The main difficulty in a process of resolution is that d and l forms have identical physical and chemical properties, so they cannot be separated by ordinary methods. However, the following methods can be used for this purpose.

(i)Mechanical separation:- if the d and l forms of a substance exits in well defined crystalline forms, the separation can be done by hand picking with the help of magnifying lens and a pair of tweezers. For example, the d and l forms of sodium ammonium tartarate can be separated by this method. The method has very limited application and applies to only few crystalline constituents having different shape.

(ii) Biochemical separation:- in this method, the resolution is done by the use of micro organisms. When certain bacteria or moulds are added to a solution of a racemic mixture, they decompose one of the optically active forms more rapidly than the other. For example, when the mould, racemic ammonium tartarate, the mould completely decomposes the d form white l form is left practically unaffected. The main drawback of the method is that half of the material is destroyed during resolution. The process is very slow and only small amounts of the materials can be separated.

(iii) chemical separation:- this is probably the best method of resolution. The racemic mixture is made to combine with another optically active compound and the resulting solubility in various solvents. By fractional crystallization from a suitable solven, they can be separated. For example, the racemic mixture of lactic acid is allowed to combine with the optically active base (-) strachnine or (+) brucine.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

i have not prepare that well for cbse or iit please give advice for how can i complete my subjects and get good grades.
@ shivam donot get frustrated , there are enough time left for cbse board exam to prepare . now , what u have to do s below 1- read out the ncert only , and solve exercise and intext...
Umakant biswal one month ago
What are analgesics and food preservatives.........?
Analgesics are drugs that reduce or totally abolish pain without causing disturbances of nervous system. There are two types of analgesics i. Narcotic analgesics E.g.: Morphine ii....
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
Analgesis is defined as the drugs that reduce or abolish pain without causing impairment of conciousness,mental confusion,incoordinationor paralysis or some other disturbances of nervous...
somprasad 3 months ago
An analgesic or painkiller is any member of the group of drugs used to achieve analgesia , relief from pain. Analgesic drugs act in various ways on the peripheral and central nervous...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Is vicinal dihalide more stable than normal than other halides and dihalide?
Yes, i think so as single carbon atom attache with more than one halide is a advantage. it leads as a strong base and could lead to an elimination reaction easily.
Vikas TU one month ago
Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 11 days ago
Beryllium and aluminum exhibit many similarities, but the two elements differ in
Dear student The 2 elements differ in various physical properties like mass,density,specific heat capacity,electronegativity etc.
Bhavya one month ago
the explanation of extraction of gold from cell phones and who invented about this method?
Just 41 mobile phones — that’s all it takes to get 1 gram of gold. While this may seem like a mundane fact to the average reader, the significance is clear for those looking to profit from...
Lakshit one month ago
@ PRAVEENA There are 0.034 grams of gold in each cell phone , according to the U.S. Geological Survey. That's the equivalent of 0.001 troy ounces, worth about $1.82 at today's prices. There ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn