Please explain Werner's Coordination theoy in detail?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Werner's Coordination Theory

Several theories were proposed to explain the observed properties of Co(III) ammines and of other similar compounds like Pt(IV) ammines which had been prepared by then. It was only in 1893, that Werner presented a theory known as Werner's coordination theory which could explain all the observed properties of complex compounds. Important postulates of this theory are:

Most elements exhibit two types of valencies:

(a) Primary valency

This corresponds to the oxidation state of the metal ion. This is also called principal, ionisable or ionic valency. It is satisfied by negativeions and its attachment with the central metal ion is shown by dotetd lines.

(b) Secondary valency

It is also termed as coordination number of the central metal ion. It is non-ionic or non-ionisable. this is satisfied by either negative ions or neutral molecules. TThe ligands, which satisfy the coordination nuber are directly to the metal atom or ion and are shown by thick lines.

Every element tends to satisfy both its primary and secondary valencies. In order to meet this requirement a negative ion may often show a dual behaviour.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
which is best for organic chemistry:morrison and boyd or OP tandon or LG wade

LG wade.......................but go for KS verma for ahead of it

aishwary rastogi 2 months ago

l

aishwary rastogi 2 months ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

If you will follow the steps you will get the answer. General Steps Step 1:Try to balance the atoms in the equation by inspection, that is, by the standard technique for balancing non-redox...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
what is the difference between amyl and active amyl

img
Harishwar one month ago
In actinides why neodymium possess high paramagnetism than other others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
why do electrolytes increase the surface tension of a liquid?

Electrolytes increase the ion concentration in the liquids,. Now we have more number of ions due to which there is strong interaction or attraction between the other constituents of the...
  img
Aziz Alam 28 days ago
In Thomson experiment the electron is deflected downwards when only magnetic fied is applied (This deflection need to be left or right side). Why this happens? . But there is a logic/reason...

motion of achrged particle in presence of magnetic field If a positively charged particle moves with an initial uniform velocity in a direction perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, B,...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 11 days ago

I can’t understand wich cicle you mean ? & Can you give the writings in the image as written becz I cant able to read from this image . and can you tll me how to post image when Im...

Vineeth 11 days ago
View all Questions »