Please explain Werner's Coordination theoy in detail?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Werner's Coordination Theory

Several theories were proposed to explain the observed properties of Co(III) ammines and of other similar compounds like Pt(IV) ammines which had been prepared by then. It was only in 1893, that Werner presented a theory known as Werner's coordination theory which could explain all the observed properties of complex compounds. Important postulates of this theory are:

Most elements exhibit two types of valencies:

(a) Primary valency

This corresponds to the oxidation state of the metal ion. This is also called principal, ionisable or ionic valency. It is satisfied by negativeions and its attachment with the central metal ion is shown by dotetd lines.

(b) Secondary valency

It is also termed as coordination number of the central metal ion. It is non-ionic or non-ionisable. this is satisfied by either negative ions or neutral molecules. TThe ligands, which satisfy the coordination nuber are directly to the metal atom or ion and are shown by thick lines.

Every element tends to satisfy both its primary and secondary valencies. In order to meet this requirement a negative ion may often show a dual behaviour.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
As i am currently studying in 12th i want a perfect book for organic that covers all the topic of jee.. i am confused within two books whether i go for R.K Gupta OR MAESTRO Solomon and...

Solomon and Fryhle is good one beside this O.P.Agarwal,Morrison and Boyd, can also be considered. Thanks & Regards Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

it will be better if you go with both the books...... keep r k gupta as a problem solving book and solomon and fryhle as a theory book. As far my knowledge there is no book which is both...

James Macmillan 2 months ago
what is eletronegativity?

Electronegativity is the tandency of atom to attract the shared pair of electron towards itself. Decreasing order of electronegttivity is given below- F > N > Cl > Br > I > S...

arvind rathore one year ago

It is the tendency of an atom or ion that is participating in either ionic or covalent bond formation to attract the shared pair of electron towards itself.

Akshay Amol Revankar one year ago

Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract electrons more towards itself. It is calculated in Pauling scale.

Chilukuri Sai Kartik one year ago
what do u mean by degree of unsaturation?

Unsaturation is “not saturated” which means not an aliphatic bon if you’re talking about the unsaturated bond. It refers to double or triple bond ( please not this only related to only...

Genius 2 months ago

Edit : *bond in first line O.O

Genius 2 months ago

i donot know

abhi 2 months ago
The molarity of Cl- ion in an aqueous solution which was (w/V) 2% NaCl , 4% CaCl2 and 6% NH4Cl will be 0.342 0.721 1.12 2.18

w/v percentage means weight of solute in gm in 100ml of solute 2%NaCl has mole of Cl- =2/58.5 similarly 4% will have 2*4/111 6% nh4cl =6/53.5 total mole in 100 ml=2/58.5 +4/111 +6/53.5 in 1...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 days ago
Which book is good for revising INORGANIC CHEMISTRY for IIT?

o.p tondon books and in askiitans website books are there to download . thank u

chevvakula tulasi 3 months ago

what about ncert? should that be followed as well?

Samrat 3 months ago
which of the following is corroded faster? iron pole in sea water or iron pole on the beach?

due to property of passivityn iron pole on the beach is fastly corroded than in sea water. thanks and regards sunil kr askIItian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago

DUE TO HIGH SALT CONCENTRATION IRON POLE IN SEA WATER CORRODED FASTER

KOTHAPELLY NAVEEN 4 months ago

iron pole in sea water because of high salt concentration

KOTHAPELLY NAVEEN 4 months ago
View all Questions »