3-Bromo pentan2-one shows very large rates of Sn-2 substitution rate in comparison to 2-bromo butane. Why ???

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Because of -M (withdrawing) effect of ketone group, 3-Bromo Pentan-2-one has high partial positive charge on the carbon attatched to bromine, due to which neucleophile will have high tendency to attack, before bromine can leave, hence SN2 reaction takes place..........

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is meant by carbogen

Carbogen is a mixture of CO2 and Oxygen gas from 1.5% to 50% CO 2

Akhil Satheesh one month ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta 16 days ago
What is norborene?

Dear student, Norbornene is a bridged cyclic hydrocarbon. It is a white solid and has a pungent sour odor. The molecule consists of a cyclohexene ring with a methylene bridge existing...
  img
Sumit Majumdar one month ago
If a peice of iron gains 10% of its weight due to partial rusting into Fe2O3 the percentage of total iron that has rusted is 23 13 23.3 25.67

4Fe + 3O2----2Fe2O3 let the weight of fe conveerted to fe2o3 be x gm initian total weight be 100gm now weight gain=110gm mole of fe conveerted to fe2o3=4x/56 mole of fe2o3=x/56*2 weight of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
Monoclinic sulphur releases 20 j of energy when 5 gm of sulphur is completely combusted.Heat of combustion of triclinic sulphur is 80 kj per mole.Find out heat of allotropization from...

S(monoclinic) +O2-------- SO2 5 g releases 20j therefore 32 g will release 4*32=128j S(triclinic)- + O2------SO2 + 80kj S(MONOCLINIC)-----S(TRICLINIC) heat of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
Which book is preffered for completing jee inorganic and organic in less time.

there are a lots of books in the market but i recommend the following which is shortcut and more than enough (1)jee inorganic-op tandon (2)jee organic-arihant+morrison and boyd most...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 21 days ago
View all Questions »