Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

I'm having problems to decide whether a substance is acidic or basic(organic and inorganic both)and lewis principle

7 years ago

Answers : (3)

Definitions for Acids and Bases

An  ACID is a compound that forms ions in solution and whose formula starts with “H”, and a  BASE is a compound that forms ions in solution and whose formula ends with “OH”.

The following properties can be used to help identify an acid or a base.

A substance is an ACID if it

(a) conducts electricity when dissolved in water, and

(b) reacts with a base, and

(c) turns litmus paper RED*, and

(d) reacts with magnesium or zinc to produce hydrogen gas, and

(e) tastes sour.

A substance is a BASE if it

(a) conducts electricity when dissolved in water, and

(b) reacts with an acid, and

(c) turns litmus paper BLUE*, and

(d) feels slippery, and

(e) tastes bitter.

A substance that is neither an acid nor a base is said to be a NEUTRAL substance.

NOTE :  There are only three types of solutions: acidic, neutral and basic. There is only one neutral

solution. However, there is a wide range of acidic solutions, from highly acidic to very slightly acidic. (A

“very slightly acidic” solution is almost neutral.) Similarly, there is a wide range of basic solutions, from

highly basic to very slightly basic. (A “very slightly basic” solution is almost neutral.)

7 years ago
										Lewis base is a substance that has lone pair of electrons which it is capable of donating to others...

Acid is vice versa..
7 years ago
Hi Bhavin,

A substance will be acid if it is capable of giving H+ ions.

Ex-H2SO4, HCl, HNO3. These all have H+ ions which they can give in water. So they are acids (Arrhenius Concept).

Besides, there are some more compounds which can be called as acids. For example, AlCl3, BF3. The reason is an acid is also a substance which can accept lone pair of electron through a dative bond. You can see in BF3, octet of Boron is not complete. So it is in hunt for a pair of electrons. This is why it is an acid (Lewis Concept).

Similarly, if a substance has OH– ions, it is a base. Or if it can donate lone pair of electrons through a dative bond, we call it a base. For example, H3. It has a lone pair of electron on nitrogen atom which it can donate. This is the Lewis definition.

Acid-Base Reaction

H3N:                            -->           BF3

Lewis base                                  Lewis acid

(since it is donating a                  (since it is accepting

Lone pair of electron).                  a lone pair of electron).
7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Sir in the question in the attachment in the D part answer is given as benzylbenzene and in E part it is given as benzene . can you justify the answers ?
Sir what about the D part of the question?......................................................................................
Aditya Dev one month ago
Resonance energy is directly proportional the stability of compunds. hence in last option Benzene is more stable as due to aromaticity that is: 4n + 2 elctrons govening.
Vikas TU one month ago
Write differences between double salt and common salt.
Double salts are formed by mixture of two normal or simple salts obtained through crystallization. for example-dolomite. Common salt is the common name of NaCl and isan example of normal...
Mudit 2 months ago
Sir, when it comes to organic chemo we have many equations. I wanted to know if ncert organic chemistry can get me a rank in aiims/neet.
@ sakshi organic chemistry have many equations , but if you have done it clearly in class 11 th , then it will not be difficult for you for sure . so , for that at least do reaction...
Umakant biswal one month ago
KI is soluble in alcohol KCl is not soluble in alcohol .explain why?
Cl has more electronegativity then I,so Cl tightly bonded with K than I.When KI approches to alcohol it will breakes K-I bond and form HCl,for KCl due to more electronegativity it is not...
2017 years ago
KI HAVE considerable covalent charecter due to polarisation , polarisation means distortion of electron cloud of anion by cation , it increase with increase in the atomic size . as cl ion...
-3 hours ago
Why isn`t size of indium lesser than that of gallium becoz of shielding effect ?
The simple reason is: Due to d- block elements contraction. and radii of 4d series and 5d series is almost equal due to lanthanide contraction.
Vikas TU 8 days ago
i need sone tips to prepare for higher exams. like, we should prioritise theories or numericals? for example, i m currently preparing mole concept
Hii I can help you with some books if you need that. Study from these books and topics will easy to you. Reference Books for Engineering Entrance Exam Chemistry NCERT Chemistry text books of...
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
@ NAVYA kindly mention you are preparing for engg or medical entraance exams , so, that i can help u suitably . if u are focusing more on medical entrances then u need to solve problem in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn