ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Cannizaro reaction is not given by Chloral HCHO 2-methylpropanal p-methoxybenzaldehyde The answers are 1,2 I have doubt in 3,4. Generally aldehydes without alphe hydrogen give cannizaro...

Dear student canninzaro reaction is given by only those aldehydes in which alpha-hydrogen is absent.So formaldehyde(HCHO),chloral(CCl3CHO) and p-methoxy benzaldehyde all will give this...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago

Canninzaro reaction is the characteristic of those aldehydes which do not contain alpha-hydrogen.Thus formaldehyde(HCHO),chloral(CC3CHO) and p-methoxybenzaldehyde will show this reaction as...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

But CCl 3 CHO does not undergo cannizaro reaction. CCl3CHO +OH - = CHCl 3 . But not cannizaro products. The answers are chloral and p-methoxybenzaldehyde. How can 2-methyl propanal ( alpha-H...

Himaja 5 months ago
how to read organic chemistry and please tell how to remember organic chemistry

Organic chemistry is simplest part of chemistry, but most of the students will find it very difficult because they do not understand basics . If one understands basics then it is very easy...
  img
Ramreddy 7 months ago

See, first of all you must have a good knowledge of all the reagents i.e what is the effect of those reagents and in what conditions they react and what products are formed. then you just...
  img
Suraj Prasad 7 months ago

there is a bokk SN SANYAL which contains reactions, rearrangements and reagents i.e the complete organic chemistry organic chemistry is very scoring so u must have deep knowledge about it...

ng29 23 days ago
compare the stability of the following compounds, (i) (a) ph-ch2(free radical) (b)(ch3)3c(free radical) (c)ch3-ch(free radical)-ch3 (d)ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) (ii)(a) ch2=ch(free radical)...

ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) is an allyl i mistook it for vinyl. allyls are more reactive than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyls are less reactive. ch2=ch(free radical) is a...

sufi digital 6 months ago

actually i meant allyls are more stable than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyl is less stable. allyls are stabalised by resonance but vinyls are not. by mistake i wrote...

sufi digital 6 months ago

and for the second question,answer is ph-ch2(free radical)> ch3-ch2(free radical)>ch2=ch(free radical)>ph(free radical)> ch(triple bond)c(free radical)

vineet chatterjee 6 months ago
CO2 is a gas,while silica is a solid.Explain....?

Hi student Gaseous state occurs when there are weaker bonds in between the molecules as compare to the solids where strong bonds are present . Same case is there in case of CO 2 and SiO 2....
  img
Anjali Ahuja 6 months ago

Co2 is a gas because of its symmetrical shape and it is without polarity whereas SiO2 has different types of bond .it can easily form network bonds and in other words the bonds are polar in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
how can calculate the ionic product of water (Kw),at given temperature?

At 25 degree celcius it will be 1.01×10 -14 M 2

Susmithasri 2 months ago

at 25 degree celsius it will always be 10 -14

Tony Abraham 2 months ago
Can chemical reactions happen at 0 degrees Kelvin? If so, how slowly would they occur?

Exactly 0K is an unattainable temperature. Temperatures can approach absolute zero but not be absolute zero. One of the ways to study very fast reactions is to cool them down to a few...

vikas yadav 2 months ago

Also, zero kelvin is absolute zero, complete cessation of all movement (including sub-atomic particles) No electron movement = no chemical reaction. at all.

vikas yadav 2 months ago
View all Questions »