Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: CART20

what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

I’m getting confused in deciding the stability order. Please help me.

see the question is for a carbanion. a carbanion has negative charge and is a reaction intermidiate. we know that NO2 shows very strong -R effect, i.e pulls the electrons towards itself...

Neeti 10 months ago

see the question is for a carbanion. a carbanion has negative charge and is a reaction intermidiate. we know that NO2 shows very strong -R effect, i.e pulls the electrons towards itself...

SHAIK HAFEEZUL KAREEM 2 months ago

find the bond order of compound more the bond order, more stable is compound

Vaibhav Gupta 10 months ago
why we need to read ORGANIC CHEMISTRY? and what is the use of it in our daily life? give a perfect answer?

Hello Dheeraj you want knowledge study organic chemistry. it is very useful to you. all the best for your bright future

Gaddam Chethan 5 months ago

My dear friend in our earth mostly all living things consists of carbon compounds thats why we read about organic chemistry in medison students analysis our body means they analysis organic ...

Prabhakar ch 5 months ago

dear friend in our earth mostly all living things consists of carbon compounds thats why we read about organic chemistry in medison students analysis our body means they analysis organic...

NAGOORVALI 5 months ago
Ra­dium atomic number

Ra­dium atomic number 88

RAKESH CHINDAM 9 months ago

KARTHIK 8 months ago

Gavvala Ganesh 9 months ago
Calculate the time taken by light to travel Avogadro number of years ?

No it is 9.4 x 10 15 x Avogadro number/ 3 x 10 8

Carmel Emmanuel 9 months ago

Time=Distance/Speed n a * 9.4*10 15 /3*10 8

Carmel Emmanuel 9 months ago

is it 19*10 30 ?

Esha 9 months ago
What is free radical isomerism?and explain it your own words???????????

Gowri sankar, Free radical isomerism is the combining of monomers which is in the form of free radical .

SAI SARDAR 4 months ago

hellow gowrishankar A free radical is any atom or molecule that has a single unpaired electron in an outer shell. While a few free radicals such as melanin are not chemically reactive, most...

raj kumar 4 months ago

IN CHEMISTRY FREE RADICAL ISOMERISM IS NOT THERE FREE RADICAL POLYMERISATION IS THERE THAT`S WHY YOU HAVE TO ASK QUESTION CORRECTLY FREE RADICAL POLYMERISATION IS THE ONE TYPE OF ADDITION...

RAMCHANDRARAO 4 months ago
Tell me difference between molecularity and order and definations

Dear Prabhakar, Molecularity is the sum of molecules of reactants in a chamical reaction.And Order is the sum of powers of reactant in a rate equation.

SAI SARDAR 5 months ago

molecularity:-it is number of reacting species undergoing simultaneous collision order:-it is sum of powers of the concentration terms in the rate law expression

Gaddam Chethan 5 months ago

molecularity is the sum of number molecules of various reactants that takes part in a chemical reaction as represented by a balanced chemical reaction is called molecularity.the sum of...

raj kumar 4 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off
USE CODE: int40

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: CART20

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts