Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off

what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Does Paula Bruice Yurkanis Organic chemistry book contains extra stuff which is not necessary for JEE?
Yes, actually, this book is for analytical organic chemistry, which is also used for industrial chemical engg branch. I would like to suggest you to go for either Solomen or Morrison and...
Saurabh Kumar 3 months ago
@ siddhi Yes , they are actually higher than the level of JEE advanced exam . for jee u can refer to the 1- ncert 2- o.p tandon / morrision boyd . (any one ) 3- reaction mechanism in...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
What is conjugation and how to find it in an compound and all other information related to conjugation? and What is conjugated compound?
Conjugation is the terms which has been defined to understand the concept of Resonance. That simply reveals the displacement of the pi-pi bonds from one location to another location, and...
Vikas TU one month ago
Please, explain the answer of the above question,how the basisity affected by Nitrogen & how i can solve these typevof ques, i want to know concept behind these types of ques.
Remember: Basicity is alwas first check by the hybridization of the Nitrogen atom group. Basicity increases in the following order: sp3 > sp2 > sp. Therfore I AND IV options have N atom sp3 ...
Vikas TU 25 days ago
Please explain more if 1 & 4 both are sp3 hybridised then why 4 has more badicity than 1 and how to decide between other two option.
Er Manish Kumar 25 days ago
The no. of electrons present in 100ml of 0.1N solution of orthophosphoric acid??
Dear student Electrons In 1 molecule of H3PO4 = 50 Thus 1 mole contains = 50 * NA electrons (NA = Avogadro’s Number) Moles of acid in question = N*V = 100*0.1 = 10*10^-3 equivalents...
Bhavya one month ago
the hybridization of phosphorus in PCl 5 (in solid state ) is 1)sp 3 2)sp 3 d 2 3)sp 3 d 4)both 1 and 2
@ krishna option no 3 turns out to be the correct option , here , the orbitals are filled by electrons of five cl atom . there are 5 p-cl sigma bond , three in one plane and make an angle...
Umakant biswal 13 days ago
Ans. is 3) sp3d There are 5 sigma bonds and no loan pair of electron...
Ankur Saha 13 days ago
does it show ionic charecter in solid state?----
krishna priya 11 days ago
no of geometrical and optical isomers of the compound [co(NH3)2Cl2(en)]+
This is M(AA)a 2 b 2 type compund.I have 3 G.I out of which two are trans which can’t show optical isomerism (O.I) While cis form show O.I hence occur in d & l pair Thus,3G.I & 2 O.I but...
Pranav Dabhade 7 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn