DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is isomerism

Isomerismis the phenomenon whereby certain compounds, with the same molecular formula, exist in different forms owing to their different organisations of atoms. The concept of isomerism...
  img
Avinash 4 days ago

ISOMERS – Molecules having same molecular formula but differs in their structure. Ex : C 2 H 5 – OH, CH 3 – O – CH 3 have same molecular formula. please approve my answer

A M S ARUN KRISHNA 3 days ago
how to decide the directing nature of a group in a benzene ring or do i have to learn them all.?? please provide me with the list if i have to learn them.

You’ll have to learn them. No other way. Applying any other trick wouldn’t be a sure shot way. It’s better to learn it up. Practice lots of question and it’ll get embedded in your mind....

Neeti yesterday

Generally for Benzene ring substituents or functional groups. resonance is more dominant hence that’s the list i’ve mentioned. If you have any other doubt, feel free to ask :)

Neeti yesterday
In the following hypothetical reaction A + 3B   2C + D, initial moles of A is twice that of B. If at equilibrium moles of B and C are equal, % of B reacted is (A) 10% (B) 20% (C)...

A + 3B ----- 2C + D initially 1 1 0 0 let x moles of B be consumed at equillibrium equilli 1-x 1-3x 2x x given 1-3x=2x x=1/5 it means 3/5 moles are consumed which means 60 % Herre B is the...

Havishma Haranath 8 months ago

A + 3B ----- 2C + D initially 1 1 0 0 let x moles of B be consumed at equillibrium equilli 1-x 1-3x 2x x given 1-3x=2x x=1/5 it means 3/5 moles are consumed which means 60 % Herre B is the...

why are triple bonded compounds linear in shape eg:N2O,explain in detail pls

In the Lewis structure of these molecules, the central atom(s) bonds with only two other atoms and has no unshared electrons. Only two electron clouds emerge from that central atom. For...
  img
Avinash 6 days ago
need info on bragg’s x-ray crystallography

Bragg's Law refers to the simple equation: nλ = 2d sin Θ derived by the English physicists Sir W.H. Bragg and his son Sir W.L. Bragg in 1913 to explain why the cleavage faces of crystals...

Shashwat Tripathi 11 days ago
expalin optical nisomerism and its types with neat and clean figure?

An enantiomer (optical isomer) is one of two stereoisomers that are mirror images of each other that are non-superposable (not identical), much as one's left and right hands are the same...
  img
Raheema Javed 8 months ago

Stereomers are the compound having the same formula but they differ in configuration,the arrangement of atom in space.The two type of stereoisomer are:- (1)geometrical (2)optical OPTICAL...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 10 months ago
View all Questions »