what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Why is the IUPAC name of the following organic compound is 1,5dimethylcyclopentene and not 2,3dimethylcyclopentene

to give nomencleture of cyclo compound. you must strat numbering from the group with higher priority..then further numbering should continue with orthi,meta and para positions from right...

mohit one month ago

Please find the attachment

Shivam Maheshwari 3 months ago
WHY ARE COVALENT COMPOUNDS POOR CONDUCTORS?

COVALENT COMPOUNDS POOR CONDUCTORS because they do not contain any ions in solution state. The conductivity is due presence of ions in solution/ molten state. But covelent compounds do not...
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

Covalent(AKA molecular) bonds are between two or more non-metals (which are poor conductors), where the valence electron shells of all the substances involved are filled completely, and...

Nikhil Gaddam one month ago
I’m very weak in organic part...revision track started in our college.. i have holidays...how should i start my preparation?? please tell me some tips...

yes definetely you should start your preparation.First of all ,you should be starting with NCERT and have good command over it.Then you should read MORISSON and BOYD and slove each and every...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 18 days ago
Why is the hybridisationof SO 3 2- sp2 ?? pls explain with steps of hybridisation

draw the structure count sigma bonds count lone pairs add sigma bond and lone pair this will give you hybridisation

vedant chavan one month ago
Write the postulates of Bohr’s Model for atom.(Write formulae given by him also)

Various postulates of Bohr’s atomic model are: 1. In an atom, the electrons revolve around the nucleus in certain definite circular paths called orbits, or shells. 2. Each shell or...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
how i can calculate the value of n in empirical formula when i have 119cc of volume & one gram of the compound?

Dear student, Can you elaborate on the question please. Its not clear as to what is the thing that is given and what is required to be found. Regards Sumit
  img
Sumit Majumdar 3 months ago
View all Questions »