what is the stability of aryl carbocations?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear rishi,

If the carbon having positive charge is part of a benzene ring, the carbocation is an aryl carbocation.

aryl carbocations do not have resonance stabilisation because their p electron clouds are perpendicular to the vacant p orbital of the carbocation.

Electronegativity is a tendency of electron attraction.  So the stability of a cation is influenced by the electronegativity of the atom bearing the positive charge.  The more electronegative the atom,  less stable the cation.  A vinylic carbocation carrying the positive charge on an sp carbon is more electronegative than an sp2 carbon of an alkyl carbocation.  Therefore, a primary vinylic carbocation is less stable than a primary alkyl carbocation. Similar reasoning explains why an aryl carbocation is less stable than a typical secondary alkyl carbocation. Because of their reduced stability, vinyl and aryl carbocations are not discussed often.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
W allylic and benzylic carbanions are said to have sp2 hybridsation?why?

Allylic and benzylic cabanions are said to have sp2 hybridization because they lone pairs present on carbon involve in delocalization(Resonance). However delocalization is effective if it...
  img
Ramreddy 13 days ago
I’m very weak in organic part...revision track started in our college.. i have holidays...how should i start my preparation?? please tell me some tips...

yes definetely you should start your preparation.First of all ,you should be starting with NCERT and have good command over it.Then you should read MORISSON and BOYD and slove each and every...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
The value of e/m of an electron was measured by which scientist ?

J.J Thomson was the first scientist to measure the charge by mass...
  img
Naveen Kumar 10 days ago
Show how [S 2 O 8 2- ]t = 0.33 – [SO 4 2- ] / 2

Is this question complete …............please elaborate...
  img
Naveen Kumar 11 days ago
Sir , I cant visulize this image and understand it can you explain?

The above figure can be understand in terms of Molecular orbital theory .According to this theory the electrons are not assigned to individual bonds between atoms, but are treated as moving...
  img
Aarti Gupta 20 days ago

Thanks for your deep answer , I have more doubt from your answer i belive you will help me to get me out of it. They are Why 2P y is not participating ihere? In the statment “ . Can only PI...

Vineeth 19 days ago
primitive vectors and primitive cell volume for a bcc lattice.

Dear student, A Bravais lattice is defined as an infinite array of discrete points generated by a set of discrete translation vectors given by: Here n i are integers and a i are known as the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 3 months ago
View all Questions »