explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

4 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A Body of mass m accelarates uniformly from rest to a speed Vo in time To. The work done on the body till any time t is 1/2mVo^2(T^2/To^2) 1/2mVo^2(To/T) mVo^2(T/To) mVo^2(T/To)^3 And please...

Calculate for the power, which is a function of force and velocity, Since, Power, P = F .v = (ma)v From th relations v = u + at = a t (u = 0) So, P = m a 2 t = m (v 2 /T 2 )t Good...
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago

Thank you very much...but the answer in the bansal book provided by askiitians has the answer as a0 1/2mv^2t^2/T^2..

Swagat Bordoloi one month ago
a heavy uniform straight rod is suspended from apont by two strings of the same length as the rod attached to its ends.if one string is cut prove that the initial angular acceleration of the...

Dear student, Find out the tension in the string and draw the FBD of the rod and the string just after the string is cut. Find out the unbalanced forces and find the accelerations, Good luck...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 2 months ago

sir i tried to do it as mentioned by you before posting this question on this forum but still could not succeed by equation mg-t=ma and mgl/2=ml2/3alpha and a=l/2alpha with this t=mg/4 and...

arun gupta 2 months ago
Question is attached in the pic.. {DOP 1 pg 7.71 Q119}

Dear Student, Equation for rise in capillary tube is given by T = surface tension, ρ = density of the liquid r = radius of curvature of meniscus g = acceleration due to gravity θ = angle of...

Mallikarjun Maram 2 days ago
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE The work functions for metals A, B and C are respectively 1.92 eV, 2.0 eV and 5 eV. According to Einsteins equation, the metals which will emit...

So, only metals having work function less than 3eV can emit photoelectrons for the incident radiation of wavelength 4100 Å.
  img
Aditi Chauhan 11 months ago

(a) 100 g will become 25 g in two half lives so it is 3200 years.
  img
Aditi Chauhan 11 months ago

we know that E=hc/lambda now from given data 1eV=1-6*10^-19 J. now find E value(which will be 3eV) and those having (A,B,C) energy greater than E will show. Answer is (c) A and B only.

Madhukar Thalore 11 months ago
The focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece of a telescope are 60cm and 5 cm respectively. Find its magnifying power i) for normal adjustment and ii) when the image is formed at near...

1) by using magnifying power of normal adjastment =f0/-fe =-60/5 = -12 2)for near point m=fo/fe(1+fe/D) = -14.4

G.Rajashekar one year ago

By using the formula -25S''/f.f

Gangadher one year ago
explain E =mc 2

It is one of the famous expressions given by Einstein. It is called as Mass-Energy equivalence.This is the mathematical expression for the theory given by Einstein.IN his theory, he said...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
View all Questions »