Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A cart loaded with sand moves along horizontal road under action of a constant force 5N .In the process sand spills through a hole in the bottom at rate R=0.5kg/s .Find acceleration of the...

Dear student, F = d (mv) / dt = (dm/dt) v + m (dv/dt) F, dm/dt , v at t=10 s is given. Calculate dv/dt from this equation. Good luck in your studies and study hard and achieve heights of...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 5 months ago
what is optimum velocity

Dear student, Please elaborate on the question. Optimum velocity is the velocity with which the body should be moving so that it can attain all the processes. For example there is optimum...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 6 months ago

what is the meaning of deformation in ellastic collision

jatinjha 6 months ago
Question is attached in the pic.. {DOP 1 pg 7.71 Q119}

Dear Student, Equation for rise in capillary tube is given by T = surface tension, ρ = density of the liquid r = radius of curvature of meniscus g = acceleration due to gravity θ = angle of...

Mallikarjun Maram 3 months ago
In a photoelectric experiment set up, photons of energy 5 eV falls on the cathode having work function 3 eV. (a) If the saturation current is i A­ = 4μA for intensity 10 -5 W / m 2 , then...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question a = Initial Uranium atom (a – x ) = Uranium toms left (a – x ) = a (1 / 2) n and n = t / t 1/2 = 1.5 x 10 9 / 4.5 x 10 9 =...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 8 months ago
A flint glass prism and a crown glass prism are to be combined in such a way that the deviation of the mean ray is zero. The refractive index of flint and crown glasses for the mean ray are...

Sol. Given that, Refractive index of flint glass = μ base f = 1.620 Refractive index of crown glass = μ basec = 1.518 Refracting angle of flint prism = A base f = 6.0° For zero net deviation...
  img
Deepak Patra 8 months ago

1. Given that, Refractive index of flint glass = μ base f = 1.620 Refractive index of crown glass = μ basec = 1.518 Refracting angle of flint prism = A base f = 6.0° For zero net deviation...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 8 months ago
a potentiometer consist of a wire of lenght 4m and internal resistance 10ohm. if connected to a cell of emf 3v the potential gradient across the wire

By internal resistance, we guess you mean the resistance of the wire. We will assume the cell has zero internal resistance. Then potential gradient across the wire is 3V/4m = 0.75 V/m.
  img
Sandeep Pathak 6 months ago
View all Questions »