explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

4 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A cylindrical vessel open at the top is 20 cm high and 10 cm in diameter. A circular hole of crosssectional area 1 cm 2 is cut at the centre of the bottom of the vessel. Water flows from a...

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; } At steady state the flow through the hole = incoming flow. ie., Av = 10 4 cm 3 /s = 10 -2 m 3 /s A = 1 x 10 -4 m 2 , and v = Substituting the...

Mallikarjun Maram 2 days ago

Dear Student, please check the data provided in the problem. To get the answer 5 cm, you need to have incoming flow to be 10 2 cm 3 /sec not 10 4 cm 3 /sec.

Mallikarjun Maram yesterday

Actually this is a question from D C Pandey mechanics part-2 (understanding physics series) there may be a printing mistake in the book

himaja yesterday
plz answer..I could not understand the question...& if possible plz answer with diagram..i could not understand the situation described in the question properly......it’s a check point...

Please have a look into the solution of your problem.
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago

Thanks a lot @Aziz Alam

Priyanka 2 months ago
A ball is thrown vertically upwards from the ground. If T1 and T2 are the respective time taken in going and coming down and the air resistance is ignored then , which of the following...

According to me its , 2 nd option, T2>T1

Yugabrat Gogoi 2 months ago

3 rd option is the answer

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 2 months ago

Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago
A large chain is hanging from yhe rear side of petrol supply tanker. What is its purpose?

The chain is supposed to get rid of any static electricity that builds up within the vehicle by directing it from the frame and tanks and into the ground or road. Preventing the buildup of...
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago
what is the potential difference between the centres of two rings separated by a distance of 1m?

Hi for this you have to assume either ring's centre as origin then calculate potential of each ring at that point. Thanks & Regards, Arun Kumar, Btech,IIT Delhi, Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 5 months ago

Where a is distance between the centres of rings. Here a=1m.
  img
Arun Kumar 5 months ago
I want to know how to solve this question (ans- (2),(3)) If E and B denote electric and magnetic fields in a frame S and E’ and B ’ in another frame S’ moving with respect to S at a velocity...

This question is based on varying electtromagnetic field, try to get the concept from the concept i am giving here....
  img
Saurabh Kumar 24 days ago
View all Questions »