Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Taxies leave station X for station Y every 10 min. Simultaneously, a taxi also leave station Y for station X every 10 min. The taxies move at the same constant speedand go from X to Y or...

this is not the correct answer

Ashutosh Garg 21 days ago

can u give the solution also

Ashutosh Garg 21 days ago

Shubham Singh 21 days ago
A solid brass cylinder and a solid wooden cylinder have the same radius and mass, the wooden cylinder being longer. You release them together at the top of an incline. Which will beat the...

Assume that the axis about which the cylinders rotates passes through its center of mass and runs parallel to its length. If M is the mass of the cylinder, L is its length and R the...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 15 days ago

In the first both will reach at same time since they have same moment of inertia. In the second case brass rod will be the first to reach bottom. Acceleration on incline plane can be...

erra akhil 15 days ago
Dear Sir, I am trying to answer the question from kaustubh Nayyar, but unable to paste an image related to the answer. I keep getting this message “There is some problem while doing the...

If you are facing this issue then logout and then again login. After this try to post the answer. It will work this time around....
  img
Aziz Alam 6 months ago

Thank you very much sir.

Mallikarjun Maram 6 months ago
Difference between solenoid and inductor ?

inductors are devices use to control electric flow in otyer words it resists change in electric current and are used to store magnetic energy whereas solenoid describes an inductor woujd in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one year ago
In stationary waves a) Energy is uniformly distributed b) Energy is maximum at nodes and minimum at anti nodes c) Energy is minimum at nodes and maximum at anti nodes d) Alternating maxima...

C

one year ago

c) Energy is minimum at nodes and maximum at anti nodes

G.Rajashekar one year ago

Maximum at antinode minimum at node

srinu kummari one year ago
what wouuuuuuuld be the electric field due to Spherical Shell (gaussian )

similarly assume a sphere to be a gaussian surface and then solve the question by the formula E*A= total charge /epsilon naught the answer would be sigma/epsilon

akshat 17 days ago
View all Questions »