• View Details
Get extra R 560 off
USE CODE: JEE20

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

4 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

2 blocks of equal mass ‘m‘ are tied together through a light string. one blocks is pulled along the line joining them with a constant force ‘F’. Find the tension in the string joining them.

Net acceleration = F/2m Also, from F.B.D. of 1 block, where block is moving with acceleration F/2m while being pulled by F and T, the net acceleration is a resultantant of the action of...

Anjan 3 months ago
Question attached in the image. ...Solution required please

Given that, Friction force acting on the block is given by Hence net force is given by Acceleration of the block is then . Then from , you may find that at t = 2 sec. velocity of the block...

Mallikarjun Maram 3 months ago
what is resonance

resonance is a way of describing delocalized electrons within certain molecules or polyatomic ions where the bonding cannot be expressed by one single Lewis formula. prove the law of...

L GOUSE BASHA 5 months ago

prove the law of conservation of energy for a variable conservative force. a planet moving around the sun is a good illuustration of the law of conservation of energy. explain. the...

R.GANGARAJU 5 months ago

Dear Kalyan, Resonance deffinetion is the increase in amplitude of oscillation of an electric or mechanical system exposed to a periodic force whose frequency is equal or very close to the...

SAI SARDAR one month ago
what is Brewster’s law

when unpolarised light is incident on trasparent surface,at a particular angle of incidence called Brewster angle i p , the reflected light wave is totally polarised and is perpendicular to ...

noogler 7 months ago

a statement in optics: when unpolarized light of given wavelength is incident upon the surface of a transparent substance it experiences maximum plane polarization at the angle of incidence ...

rahul 7 months ago

approve if usefull!!!!!

noogler 7 months ago
sir can you tell me what are the important formulaes in this chapter which will appear in aipmt

Dear Student, You also please mention the name of the chapter. Thanks.
  img
Vijay Mukati 3 months ago
question in the ATTACHMENT

No, the direction of the current will be same from AB.
  img
Vijay Mukati 7 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off
USE CODE: JEE20

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off