X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
chapter 9 q. no.59 in second equation there is an external friction force but we apply conservation of momentum how it is possible PLESE HELP

which book? Could you attach a photo of your doubt?

Neeti 5 days ago

Yes Yes i know that. i read a few articles and they state that DURING the collision, (while the collision is happening) , the time interval is very short. the collision happens very quickly ...

Neeti 5 days ago

Yeah it says that the collision is perfectly elastic so we’re supposed to conserve momentum but frictional force is there. have you tried the question by applying conservation of momentum?...

Neeti 5 days ago
two trains each having a same speed of 30km/hr, are headed at each other on the same track. a bird that can fly at 60km/hr flies off one train when they are 60km apart and heads directly...

Apply the concept of relative velocity(let say keeping one train at rest) for the first round the moving train will going to move with 60 km/hr and bird will going to move with 30 km/hr and...
  img
Piyush 3 days ago
In Young’s experiment be performed with two slits in water instead of in air: (a) The fringes will be smaller in number (b) The fringes will be broader (c) The fringes will be narrower (d)...

Option C as refractive index of water comes to account. ( wavelength decreases . ) Hit approve if u got even a little help by my answer :) Thanks .

Drake 3 months ago
Which radiation in sunlight causes heating affect? (a) ultraviolet (b) infra-red (c) visible light (d) all of these

All of these. Heating effect depends upon absorption of any type of light . If you are able to absorb a particular type of light then that type of light has a heating effect for you.
  img
Aziz Alam 3 months ago

Thank you sir

noogler 3 months ago
WE KNOW THAT LIKE POLES REPULCE ,UNLIKE POLES ATTRACT BUT IN CASE OF EARTH AND MAGNETIC COMPASS,’‘ HOW DO NORTH POLE OF MAGNETIC COMPASS ATTRACT TO NORTH POLE OF EARTH’‘?DOES IT SEEMS TO BE ...

This is because the geographical North pole is the magnetic South pole of earth. And the vice versa is also true. Hence the North pole of the compass gets attracted towards the Geographical ...

Shaily Bhatt 3 months ago
View all Questions »