explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

4 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

2 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
If 2 particles are neither approaching nor receding away from each other then their relative velocity is 0.why is this statement false?

Dear student, The particles may either be at rest or moving in different directions then you cant claculate the velocity unless you take the individual components into acc. Regards Sumit
  img
Sumit Majumdar one month ago
At time =0s the particle starts moving alopng x – axis. If its kinetic energy uniformly with time T , the net force acting on it must be prorportional to T^1/2 constant T 1/squareroot T

The Right question is this – – – -At time =0s the particle starts moving alopng x – axis. If its kinetic energy uniformly with time T , the net force acting on it...
  img
Nirmal Singh. one month ago
horizontally. The second car is travelling with a velocity v2 in the same direction. The hail stones are falling vertically. Both the drivers observe that the hail stones rebound vertically...

Your question is not clear and seems to be incomplete. Please recheck your question and post it again so that I can provide you the meaningful answer. Thanks
  img
Apoorva Arora one month ago
A parallel beam of monochromatic light with a power of 3W incident normallly on a perfectly absorbing surface.Find the force exerted by the light beam on the surface.

POWER=FORCE * VELOCITY FORCE=POWER/VELOCITY =3/(SPEED OF LIGHT =10^(-8) NEWTON Thanks & regards Mukesh Sharma Ask iiTians Faculty M.sc, Jiwaji university , Gwalior Normal 0 false false...
  img
Mukesh Sharma 7 months ago
how can i get the notes of Heat & Thermodynamics

Some of the good books for Heat and Thermodynamics: Engineering Thermodynamics PK Nag Heat and Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics publisher(S.Chand)--Dr. N. Subramaniam P.S Hemne A...
  img
Vasantha Kumari 4 months ago
A tuning fork of frequency 328 hz is moved towards a wal at a speed of 2 m/s .an observer standing on the same side as the fork hears two sounds one directly from the fork and the other...

The apparent frequency observed of the sound directly coming from the tuning fork , f1=v/(v-Us) f, As the source is moving away from the observer Us will be negative. f1= 330/(330 + 2) 328 =...
  img
Ashish Kumar 7 months ago
View all Questions »