Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A body of mass m is accelerated uniformly from rest to a speed v in a time t.The instantaneous power deliverd to body as a function of time , is given by

Dear student, We can find the acceleration produced by the mass as given by: Hence, the instantaneous value of power would be given by: Regards Sumit
  img
Sumit Majumdar 8 months ago
if the pulley is not massless, why is the tension in the string the same throughout??

if the two tentions are same then there will not be a net torque to rotate the pulley.then the whole system will not move.thats why the tention in both side of a pulley are different.

Tony Abraham 2 months ago

sorry i messed up. the ques is y not the same throughout??

Ankit kr Giri 2 months ago
Question is attached in the pic.. {DOP 1 pg 7.72 Q34}

Terminal velocity is proportional to r 2 . Hence Given, that m 1 = m and m 2 = 64m This implies Hence v 2 = 16v 1 = 16V

Mallikarjun Maram 5 months ago
A coil inductance 8.44 mH and resistance 6 O is connected to a. 12 V battery. The current in the coil is 1.0 A at approximately the time

Hi Thanks & Regards, Arun Kumar, Btech,IIT Delhi, Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 10 months ago
2 mole of ideal monatomic gas at temperature T mixed with another 4 moles ideal monatomic gas at temperature 2 T . Then temperature of mixture

n Cv dT= n1 cv T1 + n2 cv T2 T` = n1T1 + n2T2 / n T`= 2T+8T / 6 T` = 5T/3

neeraj agarwal one year ago
what is dot product

let two vectors, (x1i+x2j+x3k) and(y1i+y2j+y3k) , there dot product is x1y1+x2y2+x3y3 example: (1i+2j+3k) , (2i+2j+4k) has dot product 2+2*2+3*4=18 Sher Mohammad B.Tech, IIT Delhi
  img
Sher Mohammad one year ago

In mathematics, the dot product, or scalar product (or sometimes inner product in the context of Euclidean space), is an algebraic operation that takes two equal-length sequences of numbers...

raju one year ago

A · B = |A| * |B| * cos(T) A · B = 1 * 1 * cos(T) A · B = cos(T) In this case, the dot product is equal to the cosine of the angle between the vectors.

Indu one year ago
View all Questions »