explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

4 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A cubical vessel of height 1 m is full of water. What is the amount of work done in pumping water out of the vessel ? (Take g = 10 ms –2 )

5000 J is the answer

cr007 6 days ago

10 4 J first draw the diagram then u must know work done = -change in potential energy then work done=mgh mass=density*vol. (1000kg/m 3 ) 1000*1=1000kg h=1m substitute the values to get 10 4

Manish Ranjan 7 days ago
Question is attached in the pic.. {DOP 1 pg 7.72 Q34}

Terminal velocity is proportional to r 2 . Hence Given, that m 1 = m and m 2 = 64m This implies Hence v 2 = 16v 1 = 16V

Mallikarjun Maram 2 months ago
How to find tension in a pulley block system when there are two men held on both the opposite sides of the rope and have different acc and climbing up the rope ?

Dear student, To solve this question, a few things need to be known: Is the string massless or it has mass of its own. Is the string extensible. The tension in the string would depend on the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 5 months ago
Assume that the de Broglie wave associated with an electron can form a standing wave between the atoms arranged in a one dimensional array with nodes at each of the atomic sites. It is found...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question As nodes are formed at each of the atomic sites, hence 2Å = n (λ / 2) …(1) [ ∵ Distance between successive nodes =...
  img
Navjyot Kalra 7 months ago
The speed of light in still water is c/u where u is the refractive index of the water. What is the speed of light in a stream of water flowing at a steady speed of v relative to the observer...

This is Fizeau Experiment. The speed of light gets changed when the medium is moving(except vacuum). This is properly explained in Special Theory of Relativity, Albert Einstein. If you want...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
What is interference ?

Hello Student, Two waves must have the two contributing crests and the two troughs arriving at the same time. For destructive interference, a crest from one wave and a trough from the other...
  img
Arun Kumar 7 months ago
View all Questions »