explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

4 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

4 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
A cart loaded with sand moves along horizontal road under action of a constant force 5N .In the process sand spills through a hole in the bottom at rate R=0.5kg/s .Find acceleration of the...

Dear student, F = d (mv) / dt = (dm/dt) v + m (dv/dt) F, dm/dt , v at t=10 s is given. Calculate dv/dt from this equation. Good luck in your studies and study hard and achieve heights of...
  img
Shobhit Varshney one month ago
A non-uniform rod AB has mass M and length 2L, The mass per unit the length of the rod is mx at a point of the rod distant x from A. find the moment of inertia of the rod about an axis...

Consider a small element dx. x distance away from point A. mass of small element = (Mx)*dx Moment of inertia, dI = (Mx)*dx*x 2 Integrating both sides I = M( ∫ x 3 dx) limit 0 to 2L I = M[x 4...

Aakash 2 months ago
Plz Tell The Graph of Attached Question

Hi, option A is correct. Find equation of v in terms of x. then use, a = dv/dt = (dv/dx).(dx/dt) and find a in terms of x....
  img
Shobhit Varshney 9 days ago
Please Explain The Huygens Principle?????

Huygens principle can be stated as follows: 1.Every point on a wavefront is a source of secondary disturbance that propagates as light waves. 2.The secondary disturbance propagates in all...

sumeet 9 months ago

Oops! You are a college student. I thought you are in 12th grade.

sumeet 9 months ago
. A whistling train approaches a junction. An observer standing at junction observes the frequency to be 2.2 KHz and 1.8 KHz of the approaching and the receding train respectively. Find the...

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question Let the speed of the train be v T While the train is approaching Let v be the actual frequency of the whistle. Then V = v v S / v S - v...
  img
Jitender Pal 4 months ago
power of a cell

Power of bulb P = 4.5 V Voltage in bulb = 1.5 V Current in the bulb i will be equla to 2E / 9 2E /9 = P / V E = 9P/2V E = 9*4.5/2*1.5 E = 13.5 V Regards Nirmal Singh Askiitians Faculty
  img
Nirmal Singh. 2 months ago
View all Questions »