There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

3 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

please solve the problems in below attachments

option 4?

Neeti one month ago
is angular displacement vector or scalar

i have mentioned the answer in those terms only where

Nikhil Upadhyay 11 days ago

infinitesimal angular displacemnt=small angle finite angular dislacement =big angle now you can corelate that when small angle is made the angular displacement is vector as it can be add (...

Nikhil Upadhyay 10 days ago

In case of finite angular displacement it is not a true vector as it does not follow vector addition .Whereas infinitesimal angular displacement can be added due to small angular changes.

Nikhil Upadhyay 12 days ago
I want ans with full soln.

In this case the 100kg body will move downwards and 50kg body will move upwards. The equation for the 100kg body is: mgsin37 – T = ma, here m = 100 And for the 50kg body, the equation will...

Neeti one month ago

Hello Ananya, Please type the question completely and not in the form of image else it will not be useful for those students who will be searching question of this type on google. However,...

Forum Team one month ago
if the total energy of the first excited state of hydrogen atom is taken to be zero then the potential energy of the ground state of the hydrogen atom will be?( Ionisation energy of ground...

Please look into the solution.
  img
Aziz Alam 6 months ago

i don’t get the point sir. and also this is not the answer of the question.

Kunal Goel 6 months ago
ans with full soln

Initially there is (5+1) kg on the surface and 2kg is hanging when the rope moves 2m there is 5kg on the surface and (2+1)kg is hanging . from here you can get the initial and final...

Sid one month ago

Aakash one month ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details