There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

5 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

4 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

when constant force is applied on a body,what will be its initial velocity?
Actually initial velocity does not depend on the force applied. Initial velocity depends on the state of the body (i.e, rest or motion) before the force is applied. If the body is initially ...
CH Adithya Sai 4 months ago
two bodies A and B made of the same material have the moment of inertia in the ratio Ia:Ib= 16:18. The ratio of the masses Ma:Mb is given by
Hello.We have to find Moment of inertia of point particle as shape is not mentioned.For a point particle, I = mr 2 By formula we can see that I (Moment of inertia) is directly proportional...
Amogh Gajare 14 days ago
Find the Va-Vb for given circuit in steady state. Plzz answer in explained way
you can find the answer at the following attachment.
vinodh kumar one month ago
Triple Point
The pressure and temperature at which the three states (liquid, solid and gas) of a substance exist is known as triple point. Pressure and temperatures of triple point of water are 610.13...
DURGARAM 2 months ago
ans with full soln
Initially there is (5+1) kg on the surface and 2kg is hanging when the rope moves 2m there is 5kg on the surface and (2+1)kg is hanging . from here you can get the initial and final...
Sid 4 months ago
Aakash 4 months ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
To Win!!!
Click Here for details