• View Details
Get extra R 840 off
USE CODE: APR30

explain moment of inertia of hollow  cone

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Amrit pal

7837-833_7662_120px-Moment_of_inertia_cone.svg.png

consider this hollow cone ,now cut a ring of thickness dx at a distance x from the origin ,

so radius of the ring will be  r'=xtanΘ         where Θ is the half angel of cone

so moment of inertia of this ring is  dI =dm r'2

dm =[ M/πrL ]2πr'dL  where L is slant hight

=[2M/rL]r'dx/cosΘ

so dI =[2M/rL]r'3dx/cosΘ

=tan3Θ/cosΘ [2M/rL]x3dx

=tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I =oh tan3Θ [2M/rh]x3dx

I=mr2/2

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

6 years ago

The problem can also be solved like this:- AS we are calculating the moment of inertia along the vertical axis, i guess we can actually bring down all the circular rings forming the cone to the base level so that we get a circular disk and the moment of inertia of a circular disk is (MR^2)/2. I want to know if i am right...

I also want to know the moment of inertia of the cone along one of its base diameters. How do i do it??(i got the answer as (3MR^3)/4L.... i am not too sure about it)

Thank You!

Revanth.C 

4 years ago

how to find monent of inertia of solide cone?

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

A train moves from rest with a uniform acceleration ‘a’. Assuming s=total distance covered in the undirectional motion of train,its total time of journey and maximum speed are(respectively) ...

actually some data is missing. the question is: A TRAIN MOVES FROM REST WITH A UNIFORM ACCELERATION ‘a’. ATTAINING A MAXIMUM SPEED V IT STARTS MOVING WITH UNIFORM RETARDATION ‘a’. ASSUMING...

harsh anurag 9 months ago
Using 2 light cords a bob is held in equilibrium at A. The horizontal cord is cut and the bob is allowed to swing as a pendulum. Calculate the ratio of the tension of the supporting cord in ...

Finally. See in the first case when the cord has no been cut, and the bob is in equilibrium, therefore, T a cos = mg (equilibium in vertical direction ) and T a sin = F ( equilibirum in...

Neeti 9 months ago

Well that is a weird physics teacher. Do one thing, post the question again, you may have to wait for some time , you’ll hopefully get another answer from another tutor :) I’ll try this...

Neeti 9 months ago

I’m sure you’ll somehow get it from the equations i derived. Because there’s no other way to solve it i guess. sorry i couldn’t get the answer, it just needs to be simplied.

Neeti 9 months ago
best books for iit

Check the link for JEE reference books http://www.askiitians.com/important-books-iit-jee.aspx
  img
Avinash 9 months ago
In the circuit shown in figure the switch is closed at t=0.the current I^3,as soon as switch is closed is ???Plzz give full solution steps

here we use some terminology... t=0 - means the time just before the switch is closed/opend depending on the previous position. t=0 + means the time just after the switch is closed/opend...

vinodh kumar 6 months ago

At time=0 when capacitor has no charge on it,it behaves as an ordinary conductor. so the circuit reduces to a mere bunch of resistors and a battery. now net current in the circuit at t=0 is ...

Mehul Rawat 6 months ago
what is the magnetism?

A magnetic field is generated when electric charge carriers such as electrons move through space or within an electrical conductor. The geometric shapes of the magnetic flux lines produced...

KARTHIK 7 months ago

Magnetism is a class of physical phenomena that are mediated by magnetic fields. Electric currents and the magnetic moments of elementary particles give rise to a magnetic field, which acts ...

SHANMUKESHWAR 7 months ago

J Magnetism is one aspect of the combined electromagnetic force. It refers to physical phenomena arising from the force caused by magnets, objects that produce fields that attract or repel...

KARTHIK 7 months ago
what are the of Uses of Polaroid

some of the uses of the Polaroid have been illustrated over here pl. check out all of them 1. Polaroids are used in the laboratory to produce and analyse plane polarised light. 2. they are...

Gman Namg 10 months ago

*polaroids are used to eliminate the head light glare in motor cars. *Polaroids are used in the laboratory to produce and analyse plane polarised light. *Polaroids are widely used as...

diva 10 months ago

Polaroids are used in sun glasses. reduces the intensity and the glare Polarized light is used in photo elastic stress analysis. Polarized light is useful to determine size and shape of...

rahul 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 780 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 840 off