There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off

a block of mass 2 kg is pushed against a rough vertical wall with a force of 40N,coeff of static friction=0.5..another horizontal force of 15N,is applied on block in a direction parellel to wall.will the block move?if yes, in which direction?if no,find frictional force exerted by wall on block.

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear Tushar

max static friction force that can be exerted by wall on block is =0.5*40 =20 N

since applied horizontal force 15 N is less than max static force so block will not move

so friction force exerted by wall on block is =15 N

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
 If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE  & AIEEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

There are 2 forces parallel to wall,one vertical due to gravitation(20 N) and another horizontal force of 15 N.Now friction will oppose both of them so we shoudnt ignore gravitation force in calculation of friction.Force due to gravitation was there before exerting horizontal force of 15 N so friction in vertical direction is 20 N.Now as we apply horizontal force of 15 N there will be no friction opposing it so block will move in that direction.This is one fo my approach.

Another one(it may be vague) is that we can distribute max. friction in both directions proportion to the forces exerted in those directions.But i am nt sure abt this method.

plz clarify my doubts. 

6 years ago

If we assume that block is at a height from the ground then we should include gravitation force also  in calculation of friction.There are 2 forces in perpendicular direction.One weight of 20 N and another horizontal force of 15 N.Before exertion of 15 N force weight waas there so friction of 20 N will be there to balance the weight.Now as we apply horizontal force of 15 N there will be no friction to balance as it max friction itself is 20 N which is balancing the weight.So block will move in the direction of horizontal  force with acceleration of 7.5 m/sec2.

plz clear my doubts.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A very broad elevator is going vertically up with constant acceleration of 2 m/s2 . At instant when its velocity is 4 m/sa ball is projected from the floor of the lift with a speed of 4 m/s ...
Net acceleration = g + a = > 12 m/s^2 Time of flight = 2usintheta /12 = > 2*4/sin30/12 = 1/3 seconds.
Vikas TU 13 days ago
Refer to the figure. All the surfaces are frictionless. The strings are massless and inextensible. The ratio of tensions T1 and T2 is: a)1 : 5 , b) 5 : 1, c) 1 : 1, d) 6 : 1 (answer), e)1 : ...
Let the acceleration of the system be a. Considering the 2kg and 10kg masses and writing the equation of motion for them, we have: For 10kg mass: (1) For 2kg mass: (2) Substituting eqn(2)...
Raman Mishra one month ago
The applied force is not mentioned...we cant solve without it...there is a short cut method for this type of problems....I cant use it unless u give the numerical value of the force which is...
Soham Chowdhury one month ago
But the force was not given with the question. There was no numerical value, just ‘F’. I’d be happy if you gave me the shortcut, though.
Grace Mathew one month ago
what is banking of road ? why is important for us?and wat is friction in the banking of road?
the phenomenon of raising the outer edge of the curved road above the inner edge is to provide the nessasary centripetal force to the veichle to take a safer turn in the curved road is...
Umakant biswal 23 days ago
friction defined as the resistance force offered by surface of contact acting in the direction opposite to the motion.and the banking road is the curved road where we take safe turn at the...
Y MANJUNADH 23 days ago
EXPERTS PLZ HELP ME Is the moment of inertia of disc and ring are (mr 2 )/2 and mr 2 respectively?? and if yes how can the moment of inetial of ring greater than that of disc ??
Yes, its true. The moment of inertia of a disc and a ring about an axis perpendicular to their plane are and resspectively. Here you have to notice in both the cases we are taking the mass...
Shaswata Biswas one month ago
See the moment of inertia is proportional to r 2, for same mass ,as the mass is concentrated more farther from the ring it will have greater moment of inertia.
Piyush Behera 12 days ago
How to make strong electromagnet?
the material of the core should be soft iron
SAIMANIKANTA one year ago
the material of the core should be soft iron . An electromagnet is a type of magnet in which the magnetic field is produced by an electric current. The magnetic field disappears when the...
SAI SANDY 10 months ago
Dear Kajal, If you want to make a strong electro magnet the material of core should be iron cupper and the core consists of large number of circles.
SAI SARDAR 10 months ago
Explain in which cases Power will become Negative in Physics and also in Chemistry?
Dear student The question is not clear...can you please tell in which regard are you asking the poer to be negative?
Bhavya one month ago
Energy is Negative of a system when that system is isolated from any other system and there is no any other +ve or -ve enery in or out the System to make it +ve.This energy is dangerous as...
Kuldeep Pal one month ago
@ ramya actually its just the magnitude of work done in unit time . and REMEMBER 1 THING – POWER CANNOT BE -VE . its actually a modulus , so, power can never be -ve . HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts