There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

If a spring is dropped from a height and while it is in mid air a mass 'm' is kept on it.Is the weight of the mass an external force on the spring

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi JITIN

Hope doing well in your studies.

For a freely falling bodies case If our weight of

the mass which you put more than the Weight of the spring it will reach the

earth quickly compare to the light weight.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you can to get fast answers.

Regards Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Dear Jitin,

As you know gravitational force on any object is given as , F = mg , so it seems that the heavier mass i.e. the block of mass m that you kept is going to be pulled with strong force than the light spring. But the point is what accelarations do both the masses have, depending on that we can say which one is going faster.

consider spring having mass , m1,

force on it is, F1 = m1Xg => accelaration of the spring downwards = F1/m1 = m1Xg/m1 = g (which doesn't depend on mass of spring)

now consider block of mass m which you kept on the spring,

force on it by the earth = mg, => accelaration of the block downwards = F/m = mg/m = g which is same as the above,

so, both spring and block have same accelaration = g, hence they do not exert any force on each other, hence weight of the mass on spring is zero

this implies that all freely falling bodies have same accelaration which doesn't depend on the mass of the respective bodies.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best STUDENT NAME !!!

Askiitians Experts

Rohith Gandhi, IIT Kgp

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

a smooth rod of length kept inside a trolly at an angle theeta .whst should be the acceleration a of
Saurabh Kumar 2 months ago
@ eswar your question seems incomplete , so, kindly retype the question and post it again . we cannot find out the acceleration if we knows tye angle of inclination and there will be more...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
A car makes a displacement of 100 3m towards east and then 200m towards north. Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant the question ….and the formula we know is ...root of sum and squares of the vectors.. so we get root of 1003 2 +200 2 ...the answer is around root of 1006409 =1003 so thts the...
Gautham Lankapalli 3 months ago
From given data we consider the magnitude of the car eqal to the root of the 1003 2 +200 2 then direction equal to teete = tan - (200/1003)
a bullet of mass 100 gram moving with 20 m/s strikes a wooden plank and penetrates upto 20 cm calculate the resistance offered by the wooden plank
Resistance offered- F=ma ,where m=100g=0.1kg accl n is to be determined. v 2 =u 2 +as as bullet is stopped after 20 cm in plank v=0 ,u=20m/s ,s=20cm=0.2m On substituting 0 2 =20 2 +2a*0.2...
Paras Verma 3 months ago
I made a mistake v 2 =u 2 +2as though i wonder how did i manage to substitute properly Anyhow apologies for the mistake
Paras Verma 3 months ago
a resistance of 60 ohm is immersed in 42kg of water.a current of 7A is passed through it.the rise in temperature of water per minute is
@ m gayathri i am giving you the proper approach to solve this question . heat transfered to water is i^2Rt = 7^2 * 60 * 60 this is equal to m s delta theta. m is mass of water specific...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
what is the frequency range of sky wave propagation?
The frequency range of sky wave propagation is 30 to 40 MHz. Hope you understand my answer . ALL THE BEST........
Adarsh 2 months ago
I want to know that how to solve complicated questions of physics?
@ anup nothing is complicaTED in physics as far as i knows . if u will read with besic concept and your concept will be crystal clear in that case the thing will be easy ., frst of all...
Umakant biswal 25 days ago
questions in physics are not at all complicated ur thinking and perception on physics is complicated... if u change that u can solve anything... all the best for ur change
prathyusha manda 25 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts