There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

which of the following statements is/are correct and why?

(a)the coeficient of static friction may be equal to the coeficient of kinetic friction
(b)the value of coeficient of friction, s can'be greater than one
(c)the value of friction is always costant under moderate conditions
(d)if the surface is rough,the value of static friction can't be zero

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

dear sanket sit

all answer r correct

Occasionally it is maintained that µ is always < 1, but this is not true.a tire on concrete may have a coefficient of friction of 1.7.

The coefficient of friction is an empirical measurement – it has to be measured experimentally, and cannot be found through calculations. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher effective values. Most dry materials in combination have friction coefficient values between 0.3 and 0.6. Values outside this range are rarer, but teflon, for example, can have a coefficient as low as 0.04

The coefficient of kinetic friction is  usually less than the coefficient of static friction for the same materials. In fact, Richard Feynman reports that "with dry metals it is very hard to show any difference." Finally, new models are beginning to show how kinetic friction can be greater than static friction.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A recording disc rotates steadily at 45 revolutions/min on a table. When a small mass 0.02 kg is dropped gently on the disc at a distance of 0.04 m from its axis and stucks to the disc, the...
From angular momentum conservation, I1 w1 = I2 w2 we get, (I)*45 = [(I) + 0.02*0.04*0.04]*36 Solving for I we get, 45I – 36I = 1.152 x 10^-3 I = 1.28 x 10^-3where I is the moment of inertia ...
2017 years ago
Hi Gaurang, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
19 hours ago
In the figure (check attachement) the reading of the spring balance will be (take g=10m/s2): A) 60 kg f. B)5 kg f. C) 60 N. D) 60 kg f.
May I know what is the correct answer to this question. So as to help myself in studies.Hope You reply as soon as possible.
Mudit 2 months ago
Weight isin downward direction(mg).It can be resolved into two components mgcos30 and mg sin30. mgsin30 is down the inclined plane.The reading of spring balance =mgsin30 =10*0.5*g = 5kg f...
Mudit 2 months ago
In figure block 1 is one fourth of length l of block 2of mass also one fourth. No friction exist betweenblock 2 and surface on which it rests. Coefficient offriction is µk between 1 and 2....
For the block 3 , let a be its accelaration . so net forces acting on it are 1) its weight downward 2) tension T in the string upward , equating this we have mg-T = ma -------(1) for bock 1 ...
faizan 6 days ago
Please tell me how to find the net resistance in this case.please see pic.
It would only be solved after applyinh KVL in loop 3-3-3 ohm resistances and loop 3-4-5 resistances. Or U can also tryy with KCl. As wheat stone bridge consditions doesn't satifies here.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
@ ashutosh its not a wheatstone bridge combination . so, we need to take series and parallel combination here . 3 ohm and 4 ohm are in series , and anathor 3 ohm and 5 ohm they are also in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
What is the gauss law in magnetism.............. there any relation with gauss law in electrostatics..
According to gauss law the surface integral of magnetic field while moving on a surface enclosing a magnet is zero is ∫b.D's=0 as magnetic field and electric field are related to each other ...
Arun 10 months ago
A cyclotron is used to obtain 2 MeV protons. If the frequency is 5MHz and potential is 20KV. The magnetic field necessary for resonance is
@ sridhar u can use the following formula to get the right answer ., f = bq / 2m pie no need of potential and proton energy . by solving u will get 2vmev = ½ m v square u will get v from...
Umakant biswal 2 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts