There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A pulley is attatched to one arm of a balance and a string passed around it carries two masses m1 and m2. The pulley is provided with a clamp due to which m1 and m2 do not move.On removing the clamp, m1 and m2 starts moving. Show that the change in counter mass to be made to restore the balance is  (m1-m2)2 / (m1+m2)

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

case 1: when system is no in motion

mass on LHS = mass on RHS = M1 +M2

case 2: when system is in motion

tension(T) in the string connecting two masses M1 & M2 on solving the eqns:

1) M1-T=M1*a (a= accelaration of M1& M2)

2) T-M2 =M2*a
on dividing these eqns

v get: T= 2 (M1*M2)/M1+M2

now tension in string connecting the pulley & balance wud b:
(tension on both the side of the pulley)

mass on for balance RHS = 2T=4*(M1*M2)/M1+M2

now change in mass on RHS = (M1+M2)- 4*(M1*M2)/M1+M2

={(M1-M2)^2}/ M1+M2

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

a body is projected vertically up with a velocity 60m/s, the % of its initial ke converted into pe after 3 seconds?
at 3 seconds , h = 60*3 – 0.5g*9 = > 135 meter. P.E. = mgh = >1350m K.E = 0.5m*3600 = > 1800m % = 1350m/1800m * 100 => 75%
Vikas TU 6 days ago
Question is based on cross product. it is attached.
no the question is how do we know, for example calculate torque. F=2i+3j and r=4i. so is it F cross r or r cross F and how do we decide which is correct. According to the question they used ...
Naveen Shankar one month ago
while writing in vector form you will see it has FsSin@ (where @=theta angle). so while using i vector or j vector or k vector the whole sign changes so -that is the significance of writing ...
dipika kumari Sahoo one month ago
Torque is always r x F and never F x r . If the answer in your book is given for F x r then it is wrong. The example u gave torque should be -12k
Manas Shukla one month ago
Sir,The final velocity of a particle falling freely under gravity is given by V^2-u^2=2gx where x is the distance covered. If V=18kmph g=1000cms^-2 x=120cm the u = ms^-1
Just put all the values simply to get the value of u. Therefore, V^2 – u^2 = 2*g*x (18 * 1000 * 100/60*60)^2 = u^2 + 2*1000*120 u^2 = 250000 – 240000 u^2 = 10,000 u = 100 cm/s
Vikas TU 7 days ago
sir i cant get the feel in the topic it just like i am doing pls help me
You will have to develop the interest in the subject. Start reading books.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
first you will interest in that topic and concentrate and study you will succesfull
AJITH one year ago
You will have to develop the interest in the subject. Start reading books
pa1 one year ago
Which magazine is best for jee mains aspirants please tell me. Thank you in advance
@ afzal there are many magazines by mtg and arihant and all of them are actually usefull to the aspirants . i am naming some of the magazines that i referred for my prep . 1- SPECTRUM...
Umakant biswal one month ago
How to determine which direction of current is taken positive and which is negative in amperes circuital law
To determine which is positive and which is negative you should use the right hand thumb rule.the direction of thumb gives positive directions.
H AGGARWAL 9 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts