There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

What is the relation between circular motion and SHM?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The connection between uniform circular motion and SHM

It might seem like we've started a topic that is completely unrelated to what we've done previously; however, there is a close connection between circular motion and simple harmonic motion. Consider an object experiencing uniform circular motion, such as a mass sitting on the edge of a rotating turntable. This is two-dimensional motion, and the x and y position of the object at any time can be found by applying the equations:

The motion is uniform circular motion, meaning that the angular velocity is constant, and the angular displacement is related to the angular velocity by the equation:

Plugging this in to the x and y positions makes it clear that these are the equations giving the coordinates of the object at any point in time, assuming the object was at the position x = r on the x-axis at time = 0:

How does this relate to simple harmonic motion? An object experiencing simple harmonic motion is traveling in one dimension, and its one-dimensional motion is given by an equation of the form

The amplitude is simply the maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium position.

So, in other words, the same equation applies to the position of an object experiencing simple harmonic motion and one dimension of the position of an object experiencing uniform circular motion. Note that the  in the SHM displacement equation is known as the angular frequency. It is related to the frequency (f) of the motion, and inversely related to the period (T):

The frequency is how many oscillations there are per second, having units of hertz (Hz); the period is how long it takes to make one oscillation.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A fighter pilot dives his plane towards the ground at 230m/s^2. He pulls out the dive on vertical circle. What is minimum radius og circle so that normal force exerted in the pilot by his...
Oops , sorry I didnt see it was a vertical circle so I didnt take into account the weight of the pilot himself. We have to keep in mind that the pilot will also exert force Mg on the seat...
Manas Shukla one month ago
We have to equal the centripetal acceleration = 3g Since the reaction on the pilot seat = centripetal acceleration for the pilot So R = 1763.33 m
But the answer is given 2700m ???? ?????? ???? ??????????.............................................
Vaibhavi one month ago
mathematicallly what is the recoil velocity of a gun.derive it plz
@ yusuf below i am explaining the recoil velocity of the gun derivation , suppose m1 is the mass of the bullet m2 = mass of the gun . v1 = velocity of the bullet v2 = velocity of recoil of...
2017 years ago
Question is based on cross product. it is attached.
no the question is how do we know, for example calculate torque. F=2i+3j and r=4i. so is it F cross r or r cross F and how do we decide which is correct. According to the question they used ...
Naveen Shankar one month ago
while writing in vector form you will see it has FsSin@ (where @=theta angle). so while using i vector or j vector or k vector the whole sign changes so -that is the significance of writing ...
dipika kumari Sahoo one month ago
Torque is always r x F and never F x r . If the answer in your book is given for F x r then it is wrong. The example u gave torque should be -12k
sir, i have a doubt .In the concept of electric field “test your knowledge” 5 th question.How the electric field is not effected?
@ uday can please come back and repost the full ques ?? or else u can attach a image of the ques also in which u have doubt , so, that we can help u as soon as possible to clear your doubt...
Umakant biswal 25 days ago
WELL plz send the full answer soon . so that i or someone else can help u . waiting for ur question send the attachment
prateek 3 days ago
A horse has to pull harder during the start of the motion than later. Explain?
dear hanuma, Static friction is more than kinetic friction. Hence the horse has to pull the cart harder during start of the cart.
SAI SARDAR 2 months ago
Does a solenoid have to be made of copper? If not then what other metals can be used?
@ aaryan its not nessasary that a solenoid have to be made up of copper , it can be made up of solid steel , soft iron etc , these two metals u can use to make solenoids . only the property ...
Umakant biswal 19 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts