Sir, I have a query? Can you tell me which is the direction of static friction acting on us when we do run over a treadmill when a) we are at rest with respect to ground b) we are accelerating with respect to ground either in forward or in backward direction of our run.

Sir,

I have a query?

Can you tell me which is the direction of static friction acting on us when we do run over a treadmill when

a) we are at rest with respect to ground

b) we are accelerating with respect to ground either in forward or in backward direction of our run.

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear siddharth,

Static friction is the friction experienced when we try to move a stationary body on a surface, without actually causing any relative motion between the body and the surface which it is on.

It can be defined as the force of friction which exactly balances the applied force during the stationary state of the body.

Static frictional force is a self-adjusting force. i.e., the static friction will always be equal and opposite to the force applied.

static friction

Consider the figure, R is the reaction force due to the weight W. fr is the friction and F the external force. F = -fr when no motion occurs.

Laws of static friction

• The maximum force of static friction is independent of the area of contact.
  • The maximum force of static friction is proportional to the normal force i.e., if the normal force increases, the maximum external force that the body can withstand without moving, also increases.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free