I am an aspirant of iit and appeared for the jee this year. The controversies in the papers aside, I managed an all India rank of 8000 much less than the number of seats available, 9506. However I was offered no seat in the first round of admissions, although I was open to all streams and had filled each and every option available in the online counseling procedure. An article in the Times of India by Hemali Chhapia on 30th of June gave some insight. About 1400 O.B.C. students have been allotted seats without a relaxation in their marks, i.e. they have been considered as general category students. Then again there is reservation for O.B.C. students and the S.C. and S.T. students which is half the number of total seats available. As a result these students not only occupy reserved seats but also the general seats. The general category which is performing better is suffering. The following steps clarify this. Step 1- a candidate of the reserved category gets a good rank and opts for a lower preferred branch. Step 2- he/she gets the seat without using the advantage of relaxation of marks and occupies a general seat. Step 3- a reserved seat is then vacant for another reserved category candidate who might have scored much less and can use the reservation to get through. As a result a better scoring general category student is left with a meager amount of seats. If so many seats are reserved for backward castes and tribes their seat allotment should be dealt separately without interfering with general category seats, or if they are performing so well its time that we reduce the reservation.

I am an aspirant of iit and appeared for the jee this year. The controversies in the papers aside, I managed an all India rank of 8000 much less than the number of seats available, 9506. However I was offered no seat in the first round of admissions, although I was open to all streams and had filled each and every option available in the online counseling procedure.
An article in the Times of India by Hemali Chhapia on 30th of June gave some insight.
About 1400 O.B.C. students have been allotted seats without a relaxation in their marks, i.e. they have been considered as general category students. Then again there is reservation for O.B.C. students and the S.C. and S.T. students which is half the number of total seats available. As a result these students not only occupy reserved seats but also the general seats. The general category which is performing better is suffering. The following steps clarify this.

Step 1- a candidate of the reserved category gets a good rank and opts for a lower preferred branch.
Step 2- he/she gets the seat without using the advantage of relaxation of marks and occupies a general seat.
Step 3- a reserved seat is then vacant for another reserved category candidate who might have scored much less and can use the reservation to get through.

As a result a better scoring general category student is left with a meager amount of seats.
If so many seats are reserved for backward castes and tribes their seat allotment should be dealt separately without interfering with general category seats, or if they are performing so well its time that we reduce the reservation.

Grade:

1 Answers

ramesh g
41 Points
13 years ago

You right in your views but that is the system now. Even in OBC , the non creamy layer only will get the reservation benifit. You may loose on the choices but sure to get a seat in second allotment.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free