There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A bar magnet of magnetic moment 2A-m2 is kept such that its north pole faces the earth's geographical east and its west faces the geographical west. If the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field is 20 microtesla, find the position of neutral point.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Hinan,

Bh= (μ0/4π)*M*(3cos2 θ -1)/l3

B is the magnetic field, in teslas, at any point in space that isn't at the origin. It is equal to the sum of two field components,

BX the magnetic field component which is aligned with the x axis and

Br the magnetic field component which is in a radial direction.

x is the distance, on axis, from the dipole to the field measurement point, in meters.

l is the distance from the dipole to the field measurement point, in meters.

q is angle between the dipole axis, and the position vector of the field measurement point.

Given that horizontal component of the field is 20 micro tesla and we know the dip of the earths magnetic field as 11.50 thus tan 11.50 = Bearth horizontal/Bearth vertical

• ð Bearth vertical = 98.303 micro tesla

• ð And the neutral point will be observed on the axis of the dipole which implies θ = 0 and thus

20*10^-6 tesla =  10^-7 * 2*2/ l3

• ð L = 0.271 m

• Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
    Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
    are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

• All the best  !!!

• Regards,

• Askiitians Experts

• Adapa Bharath

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Magnetism

What is the importance of Oersted’s experiment explain me...thanks in advance
According to Oersted’s experiment the magnetic field is associated with electric current flowing in a conductor. He also noted that the alignment of magnetic needle is tangential to a...
KALYAN 10 months ago
a charged particle enters in a uniform magnetic field with velocity vector at an angle of 30 o with the magnetic field .the pitch of the helical path followed by the particle is L the...
First do the velocity components in x and y direcn. respectively. that are vcos30 and vsin30 m/s. Now to cover the circular path motion, it uses the vertical velocity that is vsin30. Hence...
Vikas TU 17 days ago
ans given as tan-1(3/2) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
krishna priya 16 days ago
What is Biot Sarvat law explain it???????????????????????????????????????????????????
Dear Kumar A cyclotron accelerates a charged particle beam using a high frequency alternating voltage which is applied between two hollow "D"-shaped sheet metal electrodes called "dees"...
Prabhakar ch 9 months ago
Biot Sarvat law: Biot Sarvat law gives us the means to calculate the field of an arbitary current distribution. The ontribution dB to the magnetic field Bfrom a length ds of a current I is...
A recording disc rotates steadily at 45 revolutions/min on a table. When a small mass 0.02 kg is dropped gently on the disc at a distance of 0.04 m from its axis and stucks to the disc, the...
From angular momentum conservation, I1 w1 = I2 w2 we get, (I)*45 = [(I) + 0.02*0.04*0.04]*36 Solving for I we get, 45I – 36I = 1.152 x 10^-3 I = 1.28 x 10^-3where I is the moment of inertia ...
2017 years ago
Hi Gaurang, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
4 days ago
when earthed a body has zero potential?what does that mean?...does it have a potential at a point not in contact with it
When a body is earthened the charge on the shell flows back to the earth or if the +q is there, a charge of-q flows from the earth thereby neutralising the charge to zero. By potential...
mayank one year ago
When a body is
Sapna Agarwal one year ago
I want to know that how to solve complicated questions of physics?
@ anup nothing is complicaTED in physics as far as i knows . if u will read with besic concept and your concept will be crystal clear in that case the thing will be easy ., frst of all...
Umakant biswal 29 days ago
questions in physics are not at all complicated ur thinking and perception on physics is complicated... if u change that u can solve anything... all the best for ur change
prathyusha manda 29 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Magnetism

Ask Experts