Most favourable conditions for ionic bonding are-a) low charge on ions ,large cations ,small anionsb) low charge on ions, large cations,large anionsc)high charge on ions, small cations,large anionsD)high charge on ions,large cations ,small anions

Most favourable conditions for ionic bonding are-a) low charge on ions ,large cations ,small anionsb) low charge on ions, large cations,large anionsc)high charge on ions, small cations,large anionsD)high charge on ions,large cations ,small anions

Grade:12

3 Answers

aman jain
36 Points
7 years ago
according to me,its C. because the less is the size of cation is directly proportional to polarisation and polarisibility is directly pro. to covalent character. so the size of cation should be small.....
Mohit Dhaka
46 Points
7 years ago
Here we need to find the most favourable conditions for ionic bond not for polarisation or covalent bonding.for ionic bond polarisation should be less and lattice energy should be high. Lattice energy is max when both cation and anion are of equal size and for charge it is max when high charge is present.But high charge also leads to polarisation .this is my doubt which I thought might be cleared here
Sanvi B
13 Points
4 years ago
accordingly the answer should be  (a)low charge on ion,large cation and small anion ;BECAUSE low charge give stability and we know that elements form compounds to atain stability also for the formation of ionic bond EGE and IE should be low and hence large cation and small anion respectively
hope you understand...............

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free