There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Anomalous Behavior of Nitrogen

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Anomalous Behavior of Nitrogen:- Nitrogen, the first member of group 15, differs from others group members because of :-

i)             Small size of N atom.

ii)           High value of electronegativity of N atom and high ionization energy.

iii)          Absence of d-orbitals in the valency shell.

iv)          Tendency of form multipole bonds.

The properties in which nitrogen differs from other members of 15 groups are listed below.

i)             Nitrogen is gas while others members are solids.

ii)           Nitrogen molecule is diatomic while other elements from teratomic molecules such as p4, As4 and Sb4.

iii)          The catenation property is more pronounced in nitrogen.

iv)          Nitrogen forms five oxides of monomeric nature. Others can form at the most three types of oxides, X4O6, X4O10 of dimeric nature. N2O4 exists in dimeric from and is diamagnetic.

v)           Hydride of nitrogen is stable while the hydrides of other elements are not stable and acts as reducing agent. Hydrogen bonding is present in ammonia but not present in other hydrides.

vi)          Expect NF3, the halides of nitrogen are unstable and explosive. The halides of other elements are stable. Unlike P, as and Sb, nitrogen does not form pentahalides.

vii)        Nitrogen can form trinegative ion N3-. This tendency is less in P but absent in other elements.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

how an oxygen satisfies their valency in superoxide by sharing of ½ – ½ electrons ?
Oxidative stress is an imbalance, in biological cells in particular, between the state of two chemical processes: formation of ‘reactive oxygen species’(ROS), more generally ‘reactive...
dolly bhatia one month ago
a photon of 300nm is absorbed by a gas and then re emitts two reemitted photon has a wavelength of 500nm.calculate energy of other photon
@ roohinaya i am giving you the correct approach to solve this question . energy absorbed for photon = hc / lambda (1 ) = hc / 300 * 10 ^ -9 energy reemitted out for phtoton = hc / lambda...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
CO2 has the same geometry as: 1. HgCl2 2.NO2 3. SnCl4 4. C2H2
@ amisha option no 4 will turns out to be the correct option . so, C2H2 will be the answer here . in co2 the structure is linear and in c2h2 also the structure are linear , in co2 the bond...
Umakant biswal one month ago
C2H2 Because both the compounds have linear geometry due to SP hybridization.In NO2 due to 1 electron it has neither bent nor linear geometry.
Himanshu one month ago
why hydrolysis test for anilido group must be postponed when an aromatic amino group is detected
I think it is because of bulky group that is the aromatic group attached the anilido group which might hinder the process of hydrolysis
Biswajit dash 28 days ago
What is the hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 and in N(SIH3)3
Dear student Hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 will be sp3 whereas in N(SiH3)3 will be sp2 due to back bonding.
Bhavya one month ago
I m started late but still coverd 4 chapter in chemeestry but 5 and 6 (states of mater and thermodinimics) my sa1 is exactly after 11days both of them have 30. Marks withage out of 70 what...
@ mayank i think 11 days are sufficient to complete that two chapters . states of matter will take max 4-5 days and rest 6 days are easy to do with thermodynamics as far as school exam...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn