FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Structure of diborane

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Structure of diborane

In view of the trivalency of boron, we would expect it to from a simple hydride, BH3. However, H3 is not known. This is due to the fact that hydrogen atom in BH3 has no electron to from p?- p? back bonding. Thus back boron possesses incomplete octet and HN3 is dimerised to form B2H6 molecule with covalent and three centre bond. The simplest boron hydride is diborane, B2H6.

Electrons are required for the formation of conventional covalent bond structure whereas in diborane, three are only 12 valence electrons, three from each boron atoms. Thus B2H6 is an electron drficient compound. The geometry of B2H6 can therefore be explained as follows.

The four terminal hydrogen atoms and two boron atoms lie in one plane. Above and below this plane, there are two bridging hydrogen atoms. Each boron atom forms four bonds even though it has only three electrons. The terminal B-H bonds are regular bonds but the bridge B-H bonds are different. Each bridge hydrogen is bonded to the two boron atoms only by sharing of two electrons. Such covalent bond is called three centre electron pair bond or a multi centre bond or banana bond.

The positive charge on the two H nuclei suffers strong electrostatic repulsion due to close proximity of the bridged H atoms. In order to minimize this repulsion, the orbitals of bridged H atoms are bent away from each other in the middle.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir, What is the best book for Inorganic Chemistry?

i think J D Lee

Abhishek Singh one month ago

op tandan

Rajeev kushwaha one month ago
how can we make a plastic which is less harmful to environment

plastics can be made less harmful through:- (1) by using less harmful recycled plastics :- Choosing products made with recycled plastic helps curb landfill waste and encourages further...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
why there is ahydride gap in 7 th 8 th and 9 th groups of d block

Hydrogen combine with many element forming hydride in which its oxidation state is -1. The 7th8thand 9thgroup of d and f block donot form any hydrides with hydrogen because these elememt...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
which is more reactive toward electrophilic aromatic substitution: Ph-OH or Ph-OR and why....

--OR group has +R effect and _I effect..Thus for electrophilic aromatic substitution Ph-OH is more reactive because of greater _I effect of OH as compared to OR..

Bhubesh one month ago

Ph-OR , because it -R also has some +I effect.

daksh one month ago
urgent plz.... why titration of K 2 Cr 2 O 7 is done using Mohr salt but not only ferrous sulphate..

Mohr’s salt which is Ferrous ammonium sulphate [FeSO4(NH4)2SO4.6H2O] is a stable double salt in which FeSO4 being its active constituent. Acidic potassium dichromate,K2Cr2O7 solution...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Rashmi Rai 2 months ago
Why Acetaldehyde is more soluble than Formaldehyde in water !

There is no H-bonding in both Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde. So solubility depends on the vanderwaals forces of attractions which are proportional to molecular weight of compounds. Since MW...
  img
Ramreddy 5 months ago

@ramreddy sir , but then why Propanal is less soluble than Ethanal ? Also, in most of the texts we found that solublitity is inversely prop. to Hydrophobic(Alkyl) Part Conc. …

Navdeep Kumar 5 months ago
View all Questions »