FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Structure of diborane

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Structure of diborane

In view of the trivalency of boron, we would expect it to from a simple hydride, BH3. However, H3 is not known. This is due to the fact that hydrogen atom in BH3 has no electron to from p?- p? back bonding. Thus back boron possesses incomplete octet and HN3 is dimerised to form B2H6 molecule with covalent and three centre bond. The simplest boron hydride is diborane, B2H6.

Electrons are required for the formation of conventional covalent bond structure whereas in diborane, three are only 12 valence electrons, three from each boron atoms. Thus B2H6 is an electron drficient compound. The geometry of B2H6 can therefore be explained as follows.

The four terminal hydrogen atoms and two boron atoms lie in one plane. Above and below this plane, there are two bridging hydrogen atoms. Each boron atom forms four bonds even though it has only three electrons. The terminal B-H bonds are regular bonds but the bridge B-H bonds are different. Each bridge hydrogen is bonded to the two boron atoms only by sharing of two electrons. Such covalent bond is called three centre electron pair bond or a multi centre bond or banana bond.

The positive charge on the two H nuclei suffers strong electrostatic repulsion due to close proximity of the bridged H atoms. In order to minimize this repulsion, the orbitals of bridged H atoms are bent away from each other in the middle.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what are oxygenated ions?

dimethyl ether and oxygen

badugu omkar one month ago

dimethyl ether and oxygen

badugu omkar one month ago
SIR CAN I KNOW WHICH BOOK IS BEST FOR INORGANIC CHEMISTRY FOR JEE(MAIN & ADVANCED)? IS J.D LEE OR OP TANDON GOOD ENOUGH?

for inorganic chemistry you can refer balaji publications inorganic chemistry book

kasula vineeth 8 months ago
primitive vectors and primitive cell volume for a bcc lattice.

Dear student, A Bravais lattice is defined as an infinite array of discrete points generated by a set of discrete translation vectors given by: Here n i are integers and a i are known as the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 8 months ago
Don’t the electrons in an electron pair repel each other?

Hello Student Yes the electron pairs respell each other. The repulsion among the electron pairs determine the geometry of any molecule. The order of repulsion is Bond Pair – Bond Pair...
  img
Gaurav 23 days ago

No I meant two electrons paired together ...dont they repel each other?

Satviki Sanjay Pathak 13 days ago
why axial bonds are shorter than equatorial bond in iron penta carbonyl?

Iron pentacarbonyl,Fe(CO) 5 is an molecule of transition metal with non-spherical d-subshell.It has trigonal bipyramidal geometry, having axial bonds which are shorter than equatorial bond...
  img
Aarti Gupta 7 months ago
Q . FOR THE REACTION :- CaCO 3 (s) ------------ ------------> CaO (s) + CO 2 (g), K p = 1.16 atm AT 800 0 C . IF 20.0 g OF CaCO 3 WERE KEPT IN A 10 L CONTAINER AND HEATED UP TO 800 0 C ,...

CaCO3(s)------------------------> CaO (s) + CO2(g) 20g.....................................0g...........0g........(initially) Kp=P CO2 =1.16atm(as the solids are notincluded in the...
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

thanks....

bharat makkar 5 months ago
View all Questions »