FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Structure of diborane

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Structure of diborane

In view of the trivalency of boron, we would expect it to from a simple hydride, BH3. However, H3 is not known. This is due to the fact that hydrogen atom in BH3 has no electron to from p?- p? back bonding. Thus back boron possesses incomplete octet and HN3 is dimerised to form B2H6 molecule with covalent and three centre bond. The simplest boron hydride is diborane, B2H6.

Electrons are required for the formation of conventional covalent bond structure whereas in diborane, three are only 12 valence electrons, three from each boron atoms. Thus B2H6 is an electron drficient compound. The geometry of B2H6 can therefore be explained as follows.

The four terminal hydrogen atoms and two boron atoms lie in one plane. Above and below this plane, there are two bridging hydrogen atoms. Each boron atom forms four bonds even though it has only three electrons. The terminal B-H bonds are regular bonds but the bridge B-H bonds are different. Each bridge hydrogen is bonded to the two boron atoms only by sharing of two electrons. Such covalent bond is called three centre electron pair bond or a multi centre bond or banana bond.

The positive charge on the two H nuclei suffers strong electrostatic repulsion due to close proximity of the bridged H atoms. In order to minimize this repulsion, the orbitals of bridged H atoms are bent away from each other in the middle.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I in case of CF3I has a partial charge of +1 and in case of CH3I has a partial charge of -1. Why? I know it is related to electronegativity but please explain!

IN case of CF3I it dissociates as CF3- and I+ the charge on iodine is +1 whereas CH3I dissociates as CH3+ and I- the charge in case of I- is -1.see as the electronegativity of flourine is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
sir please tell me a shotcut to get hybridisation in complex compounds.

Hybridisation of a molecule or an ion can be predicted by making use of the following formula. Number of Hybrid orbitals (H)=n =1/2[group no central atom +no of atoms attached to central...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
suggest me a jee Advanced book for inorganic chemistry please or tell wether i should buy a “cengage inorganic” or a “ Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main/Advanced ” plz.

you should buy concise inorganic chemistry if u like to read in novel like style.

Pranshu 5 days ago

i think u should prefer pradeep objective and it is best book bcoz it is very selective and contains all the topics that are in jee advanced syllabi also contains quesyions for practice u...

ng29 7 days ago
the no of octahedral sites per sphere in fcc structure. is

For FCC, Z = 4 Number of octahedral voids = Number of atoms per unit cell = z = 4
  img
Pankaj 9 days ago

img
Pankaj 9 days ago
Why are tertiary alcohol more reactive to haloacids than secondary and primary

Dear student the order of stability of carbocation is – tertiary > secondary > primary This is due to the fact that greater the number of alkyl gorups on the carbon carrying +ive...
  img
Aarti Gupta 11 days ago

Dear student inductive effect is of two types- 1) --I effect which is also known as e- withdrawing effect and 2).+I effct which is also known as e- releasing effect. Alkyl groups show +I...
  img
Aarti Gupta 15 days ago

Alcohols are the class of organic compounds which have -OH as the functional group. Reaction of alcohols with haloacids like HCl,HBr and HI involves the cleavage of C--OH bond of...
  img
Aarti Gupta 16 days ago
choose d correct statement vapour pressure of a liquid 1.increases linearly with increase in temperature 2.increases non linearly with increase in temp 3.decreases with increase in temp...

Vapour pressure is defined as the pressure exerted by the vapours above the liquid surface in equilibrium with the liquid at a given temperature. With increase in temperature it is found...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

thank u ma’am ,but cud u xplain why it varies non linearly ? y not linearly?

naina one month ago
View all Questions »