Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

How to find hybridisation of compounds like N2O4 and B2H6 ?

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Dear anurag

The unorthodox nature of N2O4 makes this problem a bit more confusing. Basically, the structure of N2O4 is (O=N(O))2, where you have a N-N bond, both nitrogens bear a positive charge and the two single-bonded O are negative (overal charge: 0). Nitrogen has in its valency 1 s orbital and 3 p orbitals. Since each nitrogen must make one double (pi) bond with oxygen, it must use 1 p orbital for this. This then leaves 2p orbitals to mix with 1 s orbital. Total orbitals must be conserved, so nitrogen will have 3 sp^2 orbitals. One for N-N single(sigma) bond, two for single (sigma) N-O bonds.

The hybridization of B2H6 (diborane) is sp^3 because each boron molecule has a tetrahedral geometry.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

I didnot get regarding N2O4..............

6 years ago

using formula- 1/2(v+m-c+a).......v- valency of central atom, m- no. of monovalent atoms, c- nharge on cation, a- charge on anion.......

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

What about order of strength of overlapping in 1s-1s, 2s-2s, 2s-2p, 2p-2p and 1s-2p??
Thank you sir but Directional bonds are more strong right?? I read in some book ,in that order is given as 1s-1s (because of size)> 2p-2p>2s-2p>2s-2s. I have a doubt so i asked here
Subramanya one month ago
@ subramanya the order of strength of overlapping is 1s-1s > 2s-2s > 1s-2p > 2s-2p > 2p-2p .. HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR DOUBT ALL THE BEST ..
Umakant biswal one month ago
what meant stationary and rotating polarcovalent molecule ?
@ mardana the covalent molecules which have dipole moment as 0 are called as stationary polar covalent molecules . there are also no degree of freedom of these molecules . rotating polar...
Umakant biswal 10 days ago
What do we mean by kinetically controlled product and thermodynamically control product. How to check whether the product formed is the former one or the latter one.
@ gagandeep suppose u have 2 product – Product a and product b then product a forms faster than product B beacuse activation energy of product a is lkower than that of product B . yet...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Where is POAC given in OP tandons book . What I difference between POAC and unitary method?​
@ sumit POAC is mentioned in the mole concept chapter of o.p tandon book , make sure u have purchased the latest edition book , not the old one. POAC is the principle of atomic conversion , ...
2017 years ago
Can`t understand how to name compounds in IUPAC and common names, and how are they attached to compounds??
@ pallavi KIndly be specific , as there are so much groups in alkanes which can be attached , else u can just post a pic of organic compound and i can give u the full explanation on how...
Umakant biswal one month ago
plsssss tell hybridisation structure of BF3...... and angle , and plsss tell did we get that.
sp2 should be its hybridization. and geometry should be Trignol Planer. and angle should be 120 degree.
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn