Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

why water doesn't burn?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Roopam

In chemistry we define the word burn to mean: “to undergo combustion, either fast or slow; to oxidize.” So when gasoline “burns”, the carbon and hydrogen atoms in the gas rapidly combine with oxygen atoms in the air to form CO2 and H2O

When charcoal “burns”, the carbon atoms in the chacoal combine with oxygen atoms in the air to form CO2. When iron or steel “burns”, the iron atoms in the piece of iron combine with oxygen atoms in the air to form rust.

So, why won’t water burn? It’s because the burning has already happened. When the hydrogen reacted with oxygen – in other words, when the hydrogen “burned” – water was the result.

Water is the result to hydrogen "burning"... it already combined with oxygen. You really could say that it already burnt and therefore will not burn again.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
 If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE  & AIEEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Show the value of Rydberg constant vary with the mass of the nucleus.
Boher showed the Rydberg’s Constant as a function of the mass of the nucleus. It is given as: R = (alpha)^2*m*c/2h where alpha is the constant with m is the mass of nucleus and c is speed...
Vikas TU 8 days ago
W​hich is the most basic---CrO3, Mn2O7, NiO, V2O5???? ​
The more the oxidation state the more ot’s oxide would be basic. As Cr has +3 oxidation state. Mn has +7 state. Ni has +2 state. V has +5 state. Mn2O7 > V2O5 > CrO > NiO
Vikas TU 11 days ago
The set representing the correct order of first ionisation potential is- K Be>Mg>Ca B>C>N Ge>Si>C
In the period the ionisation potential increases and in the group it decreases. thus, Be Mg and Ca are in group therefore othe order is correct.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What are biodegradable and non-biodegradable detergents?
Biodegradable detergents: Cleansing agents or detergents which are decomposed by microbes are called biodegradable detergents. Their molecules have less branching. Non-biodegradable...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
1. Biodegradable Detergents are those detergents which can be degraded or decomposed by microorganisms present in water.such detergents have straight chain of hydrocarbons in the...
somprasad 3 months ago
1.Biodegradable dete rgents :Detergents having straight hydrocarbon chains are easily degraded(decomposed) by microorganisms .e.g.sodium lauryl sulphate. 2.Non-biodegradable detergents...
xavier 3 months ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn