ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What are differences between Polar and nonpolar solvents?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi

Chemists have classified solvents into three categories according to their polarity.

1. polar protic

2. dipolar aprotic

3. non-polar.

Polar Protic Solvents

Let's start with the meaning of the adjective protic. In the context used here, protic refers to a hydrogen atom attached to an electronegative atom. For our purposes that electronegative atom is almost exclusively oxygen. In other words, polar protic solvents are compounds that can be represented by the general formula ROH. The polarity of the polar protic solvents stems from the bond dipole of the O-H bond. The large difference in electronegativities of the oxygen and the hydrogen atom, combined with the small size of the hydrogen atom, warrant separating molecules that contain an OH group from those polar compounds that do not. Examples of polar protic solvents are water (HOH), methanol (CH3OH), and acetic acid (CH3CO2H).

Dipolar Aprotic Solvents

Here the key word is aprotic. In the context used here, aprotic describes a molecule that does not contain an O-H bond. Solvents in this class all contain a bond that has a large bond dipole. Typically this bond is a multiple bond between carbon and either either oxygen or nitrogen. Most dipolar aprotic solvents contain a C-O double bond. Examples are acetone [(CH3)2C=O] and ethyl acetate (CH3CO2CH2CH3).

Non-Polar Solvents

Non-polar solvents are compounds that have low dielecrtic constants and are not miscible with water. Examples include benzene (C6H6), carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), and diethyl ether ( CH3CH2OCH2CH3).

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
in inorganic chemistry which chapter should we read and revise properly from exam point of view???//

it is nothing else then basic chemical bonding added it is s block these chapters would provide the basics to solve the questions approve if useful

rahul one month ago

you should have a way over chemical bonding and then d block for knowing better about the periodic table and trends

grenade one month ago
Can I prepare complete Inorganic chemistry in 4 moths as I have not studied it at all.Can it be prepared in time that is left now.

Dear student yes you can definitely complete your inorganic chemistry in the period of 4 months,as it would be enough time for you.Don’t take stress while thinking that you...
  img
Aarti Gupta 9 months ago

Yeah, you can prepare Inorganic Chemistry in 4 months but just make sure you also keep in touch with other subjects .You can give majority of time to Inorganic but ewach subject is...
  img
Aziz Alam 9 months ago

Dear student NCERT book is very good but for the detail description of topics you should use other helping books also.As in such book you get the descriptions which you might need while...
  img
Aarti Gupta 9 months ago
a solution containing 10 g per dm3 of urea (molecular mass= 60 g/mol) is isotonic with a 5% solution of anon volatile solute is

becoz i try it alot but unfortunately i cant solve it

Rupali 8 days ago

What is the requirement of the question??

erra akhil 11 days ago
structure of xylene?

Xylene,or dimethylbenzene is an aromatic hydrocarbon mixture consisting of a benzene ring with two methyl groups at various substituted positions.It has molecular formula of C8H10,also...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

xylene is a compound in which there is a benzene ring and having two methyl gropus attached to it these are of three types ortho1,2 position meta1,3 position para1,4 position appprove if...

Gman Namg one month ago

i too have that doubt

britto george 2 months ago
Don’t the electrons in an electron pair repel each other?

Hello Student Yes the electron pairs respell each other. The repulsion among the electron pairs determine the geometry of any molecule. The order of repulsion is Bond Pair – Bond Pair...
  img
Gaurav 4 months ago

Yes, they do, and this is why pairing of electrons is related with an extra energy known as pairing energy. And this is why pairing starts only after each orbital has one electron.
  img
Gaurav one month ago

No I meant two electrons paired together ...dont they repel each other?

Satviki Pathak 3 months ago
explain irreversible reactions

The irreversible process is also called the natural process because all the processes occurring in nature are irreversible processes. The natural process occurs due to the finite gradient...

grenade one month ago

1) In the irreversible process the initial state of the system and surroundings cannot be restored from the final state. 2) During the irreversible process the various states of the system...

grenade one month ago

hope both helped u

grenade one month ago
View all Questions »