Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 280 off

I have few queries - plz help

1. Anhydrous AlCl3 is covalent while AlCl3,6H2O is ionic - why?
2.CO and N2 are isoelectronic, but differ in donor properties -explain
3.Account for the decrease of I1 between P and S
4. What is Inner Metallic complex (please suggest a good text available in net)
5.Electron affinity of Cl is greater than F. yet F is much stronger oxidant than Cl -explain
6. The atomic radii of Zn and HF are almost same -why?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Ashish ,

1.) In Anhyd. ALCL3 , since al^3+ ion is small and has high positive charge (=+3) , this ion has high polarising power and hence polarises Cl^-1 ion strongly.Due to high polarisation cl^-1 ion ion by Al^3+ ion, covalent charscter is produced in AlCl3.Hydrated salt is alcl3.6H2o which is obtained by dissolving anhydrous ALCL3 in H2o(polar solvent).In the formation of alcl3.6H20 ,alcl3 gets hydrated by water molecules and a large amount of hydration energy is also released.This hydration energy helps in the ionisation of hydrated salt alcl3.6h20 to give [Al(h20)6]^3+ and cl^1- ions.Reaction innvolved is :

Alcl3+6h20 ---> Alcl3.6h20 ---> [Al(h20)6}]^3+ + 3cl^1- + hydration energy

2.)  CO and N2 are isoelectronic because each have 2 nuclei and 10 valence electrons (4+6, 5+5respectively).They have different donor particles because in N2 there are two lone pairs on them while in case of CO there is only one lone pair .This can be also said in terms of electronegativity of N and O as N is more electronegative than O.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

How to find the magnetic moment of a coordination compound
@ anjana u can find out the magnetic moment of a coordination compound by the foillwoing formula u = root over of n (n+2 ) BM where u stands for magnetic moment n is the no of unpair...
Umakant biswal 12 days ago
Order of incresing solubility of agcl in other solutions
@ chandana your ques is incomplete , so, kindly recheck the ques and do get back to us . and i am assuming it to be the solution of water , nacl , bacl2 and NH3 . so, acc to the common ion...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
U will have to tell the solutions name. in which U want to arrange the order of increasing solubility of AgCl.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
While drawing a structure of a compound how do we decide that where to place the Lone pair
@ rahul u can place that anywhere , no doub t for symmatry , just u need to be clear with the meaning of the loan pair , that means theses are the electron pairs which cannot participate in ...
Umakant biswal 12 days ago
The l.p. should arrange in this way thatl.p.----l.p. don`t allow on 90° and l.p-----b.p.(bond pair) is≥ 120° .And keep in mind less repultion between l.p.and b.p.
satish gupta 6 days ago
what is meant by internal energy.................................?
@ sharda internal energy can be defined as the energy associated with the random , disordeerd motion of molecules . it is separated in scale from the macroscopic ordered energy associated...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
The energy in molecules or atoms or in system is defined due to the random motion collision or anny movment between them. that energy is called as internal energy. it depends on many...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
thermodynamics,chemistry question is attached....................................
U=nc(at const. vol.)dt=5000J, but how come the answer is 6000J.........................................................
Naveen Shankar 2 months ago
The system is working at constant pressure. hence Change in internal energy is given as: U = F/2 nRt + (F/2+1)nRt here t is change in temp from final to initial. F is degree of freedom. n...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
I m started late but still coverd 4 chapter in chemeestry but 5 and 6 (states of mater and thermodinimics) my sa1 is exactly after 11days both of them have 30. Marks withage out of 70 what...
@ mayank i think 11 days are sufficient to complete that two chapters . states of matter will take max 4-5 days and rest 6 days are easy to do with thermodynamics as far as school exam...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn