ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

How to calculate the bond order of carbonate ion?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear barnita,

Consider the carbonate ion, CO32-

carbon (C) has four valence electrons x 1 carbon = 4 e-
oxygen (O) has six valence electrons x 3 oxygens = 18 e-
The ion has an overall negative two charge so we add 2 e- to give a total of 24 e- to be placed in the Lewis structure.

This affords a bond order for the carbon - oxygen bond of 1 1/3. (4 bonds averaged over three structures.)

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is ncert level knowledge enough for doing competetion level inorgang chem. as it only requires learning by heart ( in aipmt or jee mains both have same level )

no my dear friend if you really want to have good command then you should read OPtandon inorganic chemistry along with NCERT.you can also try reading JDLEE but at the last.but optandon+NCERT...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
how many coordinate isomers are possible of compound [Cu9NH3)4][PtCl4]?

Coordinate isomers differ in the distribution of ligands between metal ions in complex compound [PtNH3)4][CuCl4] is the possible coordinate isomer
  img
Harishwar 23 days ago

Hi Student,I Information is Missing in the question.
  img
Harishwar 23 days ago
why does methyl chloride gives methyl cyanide on treatment with KCN and methyl isocyanide on treatment with AgCN

Because KCN is predominantly has ionic characterand provides cyanide ions in the solution. Although both carbon and nitrogen atoms are in position to donate electron pairs, the attack takes...

saurabh pathak 3 months ago
Which has higher resonance energy ch2=ch-f or ch2=ch-br?

ch2=ch-br has high resonance energy because lone pairs on Br involve in resonance easily giving more delocalization and hence more resonance energy. Flourine is more elctronegative thats why...
  img
Ramreddy 4 months ago

yes the other one has more resonance energy because resonanance is more effective in C-F bond than in C-Br bond

daksh 3 months ago

the other one has more resonance energy

agam goel 4 months ago
In Thomson experiment the electron is deflected downwards when only magnetic fied is applied (This deflection need to be left or right side). Why this happens? . But there is a logic/reason...

motion of achrged particle in presence of magnetic field If a positively charged particle moves with an initial uniform velocity in a direction perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, B,...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago

I can’t understand wich cicle you mean ? & Can you give the writings in the image as written becz I cant able to read from this image . and can you tll me how to post image when Im...

Vineeth 4 months ago
what are different types of reducing agents for reduction of aldehydes&ketones to alcohols

The reduction of an aldehyde You get exactly the same organic product whether you use lithium tetrahydridoaluminate or sodium tetrahydridoborate. For example, with ethanal you get ethanol:...

abhimanyu one month ago

The reaction product of the reduction of an aldehyde is a primary alcohol and that of a ketone a secondary alcohol . Reagents are lithium aluminium hydride , diisobutylaluminium hydride ,...

vineet chatterjee one month ago
View all Questions »