ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

How to calculate the bond order of carbonate ion?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear barnita,

Consider the carbonate ion, CO32-

carbon (C) has four valence electrons x 1 carbon = 4 e-
oxygen (O) has six valence electrons x 3 oxygens = 18 e-
The ion has an overall negative two charge so we add 2 e- to give a total of 24 e- to be placed in the Lewis structure.

This affords a bond order for the carbon - oxygen bond of 1 1/3. (4 bonds averaged over three structures.)

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
why atomic radii of iron(Fe) and cobalt(Co) is equal

atomic radii of iron(Fe) and cobalt(Co) is equal :- despite there is an increase number of protons which results in an increased nuclear attraction, the addition of an electron in a 3d...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
Is ethylene diamine a strong or weak field ligand ? Why is the shape of [Ni(CN) 4 ] 2- and [Ni(CO 4 )] different , although both CN - a nd (CO) are strong field ligands ?

1,ethylene diamine a strong field ligand as it has two group which is attached to the central atom. it form a "C" clamp looking structureSee the structure of EDTA(ethylene diamine)...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

ni z= 28 3d8 4s2 oxidation state 0 CO is neutral ligand and strong field ligand therefore e- pairing occurs and final e- config after pairing is 3d10 4s0 hence 4s and 4p orbitals will be...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

Where does the 4s 2 electron go?

Krishnendu Ronaldo 7 months ago
Compound A is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 ClBr]Cl Comound B is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 Cl 2 ]Br Question is attached with the image! [ALTSM 01/03 Q90] Pls show how you calculated EAN.

EAN=24-3+2*6=33 ATOMIC NO.---24 OXIDATION STATE---3 COORDINATION NO.---6 FOR BOTH THE EAN VALUE WILL BE SAME

nipun jain one month ago

ans is option 1

nipun jain one month ago
Please sort these bonds in decreasing order of strengths.. . 1.C triple bond O 2.C≡N 3.N≡N 4.C−C 5.C−H And please explain as to why they are correct. I feel that C−H is stronger than C−C...

sorry its a problem occuring in my connection so, that complete answers could be posted

Aman Bhambra one month ago

n2 is highly staable

ng29 one month ago

sorry its 3

Aman Bhambra one month ago
pl urgent help

hey its written only to consider balmer lines and we know balmer lines are the lines that are obtaines when the electrons jump from any orbit to 2 nd orbit or first excited state so i...

Ankit Sharma 9 days ago

but hav u found any flaw in my answer the answer in the book or site u refered might be wrong as the might have taken fourth excited state as fourth orbit or any other as i hav given my...

Ankit Sharma 9 days ago

@ankit answer the question this guy @manam if your logic is correct y not des passibilities and the answer is not wrong read the question again it is about 2 hydrogen so we cant a consider...

Akhil Verma 9 days ago
I have purchased the book for organic chemistry by ms chouhan, solomon, fryhle. So my question to you was that whether it is a good book for understanding organic chemistry or not or should...

both the books are enough for understanding organic chemistry. You can use MS chauhan for solving questions and solomon fryhle for theory. No other book is really...
  img
Ramreddy 6 months ago

Thank you

Utkarsh 6 months ago
View all Questions »