Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 280 off
USE CODE: MOB20

Describe the bulk preparation of H2 by electrolytic method. What is the role of an electrolyte in this process?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi

Preparation of Hydrogen by Electrolysis

The chemical equation for electrolysis is:

energy (electricity) + 2 H2O ->  O2  + 2 H2 .

At the cathode (the negative electrode), there is a negative charge created by the battery. This means that there is an electrical pressure to push electrons into the water at this end. At the anode (the positive electrode), there is a positive charge, so that electrode would like to absorb electrons. But the water isn't a very good conductor. Instead, in order for there to be a flow of charge all the way around the circuit, water molecules near the cathode are split up into a positively charged hydrogen ion, which is symbolized as H in the diagram above (this is just the hydrogen atom without its electron, i.e. the nucleus of the hydrogen atom, which is just a single proton), and a negatively charged "hydroxide" ion, symbolized OH-:

H2O -> H+ + OH- .

You might have expected that H2O would break up into an H and an OH (the same atoms but with neutral charges) instead, but this doesn't happen because the oxygen atom more strongly attracts the electron from the H - it steals it (we say the oxygen atom is more "electronegative" than hydrogen). This theft allows the resulting hydroxide ion to have a completely filled outer shell, making it more stable.

But the H+, which is just a naked proton, is now free to pick up an electron (symbolized e-) from the cathode, which is trying hard to donate electrons, and become a regular, neutral hydrogen atom:

H+ + e- -> H

This hydrogen atom meets another hydrogen atom and forms a hydrogen gas molecule:

H + H -> H2,

and this molecule bubbles to the surface, and  We have hydrogen gas!

Meanwhile, the positive anode has caused the negatively charged hydroxide ion (OH-) to travel across the container to the anode. When it gets to the anode, the anode removes the extra electron that the hydroxide stole from the hydrogen atom earlier, and the hydroxide ion then recombines with three other hydroxide molecules to form 1 molecule of oxygen and 2 molecules of water:

4 OH- _> O2 + 2 H2O + 4e-

The oxygen molecule is very stable, and bubbles to the surface.

In this way, a closed circuit is created, involving negatively charged particles - electrons in the wire, hydroxide ions in the water. The energy delivered by the battery is stored by the production of hydrogen.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

the hybridization of phosphorus in PCl 5 (in solid state ) is 1)sp 3 2)sp 3 d 2 3)sp 3 d 4)both 1 and 2

sp3d is the right answer. In excited state, intermixing of a 3s, three 3p and one 3d orbitals gives five half filled sp 3 d hybrid orbitals, which are arranged in trigonal bipyramidal...

dolly bhatia one month ago

@ krishna option no 3 turns out to be the correct option , here , the orbitals are filled by electrons of five cl atom . there are 5 p-cl sigma bond , three in one plane and make an angle of...

Umakant biswal 3 months ago

i hope to no.3 because phosphours atom contain in last subshell is 5 electron and not contain a lone pair and here is 5 chlorine atom .then we add up eletron and we get a 10 and we devided...

sahabudin ali 2 months ago

It should be option 4 as PCl5 exists in [PCl4]+ and [PCl6]- in solid state....as in first case it is Sp3 and that in second it is Sp3d2

5 days ago
sir iam a iiit students in RAGIV GANDHI UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGIES, there is a semister it infront of me in 10 days.i don’t know any thing about chemistry.it is a ncert syllubus.please send...

@ badugu they are ncert books topic , i am mentioning some imp chapter name below 1- COORDINATION COMPOUND ( PART 2 CHEMI ) 2- GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY ( 11TH 2ND PART ) 3-...

Umakant biswal one month ago

Dear Vijay, Go through these topics first as atmost importat ones: Aldehyde and Ketones Biomolecules Alcohols and ethers Coordination Compounds Solid states Electrrochemistry Solutions D and...

Vikas TU one month ago

@ badugu , kindly be specific in asking the ques , earlier u told that u have ncert syllabus , and i have given the chapters from ncert textbooks only . kindly conform which publication u...

Umakant biswal one month ago
How many unpaired electrons are present in superoxide ion?

But the answer is 3.. As in molecular orbital theory the unpaired electrons in oxygen molecule is 2.. It accepts 1 electron to form superoxide ion.. That electron instead of pairing with 2...

Suraj Singh 17 days ago

And now I am agree with my solution.. You should check it once.... .. And thanq for the concern... .....

Suraj Singh 17 days ago

It`s unfortunately wrong..................................... ................. NOť less than 100 char

Suraj Singh 17 days ago
Hi pl tell the best book for organic chemistry for iit preparation of jee mains and jee advanced......its urgent....

HEY ARYAN YOU CAN REFER TO OP TANDN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY. The latest trends of different competitive examinations have been integrated with the fundamental concepts in the book. Some of the...

SAHIL one month ago

HEY DEAR OK NO PROBLEM YOU CAN REFER LG WADE BOOK ALSO INSTEAD OF OP TANDON. ACTUALLY IF YOU READ LG WADE AND SOLOMONS, YOU WILL COME TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS BETTER TO READ FROM LG WADE....

SAHIL 29 days ago

SORRY DEAR WE CANNOT POST EXTERNAL LINKS AT THIS SITE. MOREOVER THE BOOK IS NOT WITH ME IN ANY FORMAT. OTHERWISE THE BOOK IS GOOD FOR GOC. ALL THE THINGS ARE WELL EXPLAINED. IT WILL SURELY...

SAHIL 28 days ago
Cannizaro reaction is not given by Chloral HCHO 2-methylpropanal p-methoxybenzaldehydeThe answers are 1,2I have doubt in 3,4. Generally aldehydes without alphe hydrogen give cannizaro...

Here all the 4 compounds (HCHO, chloral,2 methyl propanal nd p-methoxybenzaldehyde will give cannizzaro reaction. In 2 methyl propansl,though alpha hydrogen is absent it will give cannizzaro...

2017 years ago

chloral would not undergo cannizaro rxn., it will give haloform rxn which is similar to Cannizaro reaction but not Cannizaro. When acetaldehyde is treated withCl 2 /NaOH for Haloform rxn....

3 days ago
What are biodegradable and non-biodegradable detergents?

Biodegradable detergents: Cleansing agents or detergents which are decomposed by microbes are called biodegradable detergents. Their molecules have less branching. Non-biodegradable...

SAI SARDAR 6 months ago

1. Biodegradable Detergents are those detergents which can be degraded or decomposed by microorganisms present in water.such detergents have straight chain of hydrocarbons in the...

somprasad 6 months ago

1.Biodegradable dete rgents :Detergents having straight hydrocarbon chains are easily degraded(decomposed) by microorganisms .e.g.sodium lauryl sulphate. 2.Non-biodegradable detergents...

xavier 6 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts