Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Describe the bulk preparation of H2 by electrolytic method. What is the role of an electrolyte in this process?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Preparation of Hydrogen by Electrolysis

The chemical equation for electrolysis is:

energy (electricity) + 2 H2O ->  O2  + 2 H2 .

At the cathode (the negative electrode), there is a negative charge created by the battery. This means that there is an electrical pressure to push electrons into the water at this end. At the anode (the positive electrode), there is a positive charge, so that electrode would like to absorb electrons. But the water isn't a very good conductor. Instead, in order for there to be a flow of charge all the way around the circuit, water molecules near the cathode are split up into a positively charged hydrogen ion, which is symbolized as H in the diagram above (this is just the hydrogen atom without its electron, i.e. the nucleus of the hydrogen atom, which is just a single proton), and a negatively charged "hydroxide" ion, symbolized OH-:

H2O -> H+ + OH- .

You might have expected that H2O would break up into an H and an OH (the same atoms but with neutral charges) instead, but this doesn't happen because the oxygen atom more strongly attracts the electron from the H - it steals it (we say the oxygen atom is more "electronegative" than hydrogen). This theft allows the resulting hydroxide ion to have a completely filled outer shell, making it more stable.

But the H+, which is just a naked proton, is now free to pick up an electron (symbolized e-) from the cathode, which is trying hard to donate electrons, and become a regular, neutral hydrogen atom:

H+ + e- -> H

This hydrogen atom meets another hydrogen atom and forms a hydrogen gas molecule:

H + H -> H2,

and this molecule bubbles to the surface, and  We have hydrogen gas!

Meanwhile, the positive anode has caused the negatively charged hydroxide ion (OH-) to travel across the container to the anode. When it gets to the anode, the anode removes the extra electron that the hydroxide stole from the hydrogen atom earlier, and the hydroxide ion then recombines with three other hydroxide molecules to form 1 molecule of oxygen and 2 molecules of water:

4 OH- _> O2 + 2 H2O + 4e-

The oxygen molecule is very stable, and bubbles to the surface.

In this way, a closed circuit is created, involving negatively charged particles - electrons in the wire, hydroxide ions in the water. The energy delivered by the battery is stored by the production of hydrogen.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Choose the correct ionization energy order for the given species: (A) O > S > S - > O - (B) F > F - > Cl - > Cl (C) O > O - >S - > S (D) F > Cl > Cl - > F -
I thinkthe answer ic (c)as Cl has highest IE.Therefore option(B) and (D) are ruled out. Again the IE decreses down the group and hence S should have less IE than O. Also as an electron...
Mudit 2 months ago
Explain why a sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond.
sigma bond is formed due to head on head overlapping of s orbitals. so ,they form stronger bonds as compared to pi bond which is formed due to parallel overlapping and gets easily broken...
ankit saurav 7 days ago
In coordination complex compounds when does nh3 acts as strong ligand
@ kumar in spectrochemical series the ligands are arrenged in their increasing delta value towards a metal ion . as the charge on the metal ion will increase the magnitude of delta alos...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
what is electrolysis..................................................?
DEAR SREE, The decomposition of a chemical compound in the molten state (or) in the solution state into constituent elements under the influence of an applied EMF is called electrolysis.
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ sree In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a method of using a direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. Electrolysis is commercially ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
WHAT IS MEANT BY SOLUTION.................................................?
Solution is the mixture of many or atleast two differnt propertiesess materials. The minor part is the solute and the major part is the solvent. Both get mixed and is called the solution.
2017 years ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn