Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

Hi friends,

The electric potential difference between two points is simply the difference in potential energy possessed by charge between those two points. Is dat true????

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Close, but not correct .

The difference in electric potential between any two points is simply the different in electric potential energy per charge between those two points.

Using a gravitational analogy, gravitational potential is the difference in gravitational potential energy per mass between any two points. Gravitational potential energy is dependent upon the amount of mass present at a location (m•g•h); the more mass present at a location , the more gravitational potential energy.

In contrast, gravitational potential reduces the importance of mass by defining itself as the potential energy per kilogram of mass (PE / m). By so doing, gravitational potential is now only location dependent - depending only upon the value of g at a given location and the height above some zero reference level.

In the same manner, electric potential energy at a given location is charge-dependent. The more charge present at a location, the more repulsive (or attractive) effects and the greater the potential energy. But electric potential makes the amount of charge unimportant since it is the electric potential energy per charge. Now electric potential is location dependent - dependent for instance on the location in a circuit and not upon the amount of charge flowing past that location in a second.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

Can u please find the values of current I1, I2, and I3 in the given figure... Answer is given in fig.
@Ayush by applying kirchoff’s laws we get 3 equations like: 3*(I 1 +I 2 ) = -3 7*I 2 – 4*I 1 = -2 I 1 = I 2 +I 3 therefore solving these equations we get I 1 = -(5/11) , I 2 = -(6/11) , I 3 ...
venketep prasad m c 3 months ago
what is a coulomb’s law….….….….….….….? explain it ////?
Dear Manjunath Coulomb's law , or Coulomb's inverse-square law , is a law of physics describing the electrostatic interaction between electrically charged particles. The law was first...
Prabhakar ch 9 months ago
. that the electrical force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of the quantity of charge on the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the...
sudarshan 9 months ago
dear manjunath, Coulomb's law states that the magnitude of the electrostatic force of interaction between two point charges is directly proportional to the scalar multiplication of the...
N JYOTHEESWAR 9 months ago
‘n' identical cells are joined in series with two cells A and B with reverse polarities. Calculate the potential difference across the cell A and B .
Asuming internal resistances be r and emf e for each cell joined in series. then Total emf = ne total resistance = nr Total Potential Differnce, (n-2)e – 2e = e(n-4) V = ir + e = 2e(1-2/n)
Vikas TU 2 months ago
what is coundcters
Basically there are 2 types of conductors (1) good conductors and (2)bad conductors.(1) Good conductors are those which allow heat or electricity to pass through steel,copper...
Drovan Reddy one year ago
Conductors are substances which allows current to flow. Examples : Copper, silver Silver is the best conductorof electricity. Most metals are conductors except lead and most of the non...
A M S ARUN KRISHNA one year ago
An electrical conductor is a substance in which electrical charge carriers, usually electrons, move easily from atom to atom with the application of voltage. Conductivity, in general, is...
KARTHIK one year ago
What is physical optics?
The branch of optics which deals wave behavioure of light.
Gavvala Ganesh one year ago
L GOUSE BASHA one year ago
SHANMUKESHWAR one year ago
Give some examples for elemental semiconductors????
Semiconductors are available as either elements or compounds. Silicon and Germanium are the most common elemental semiconductors. Compound Semiconductors include InSb , InAs , GaP, GaSb ,...
jayachandra 2 months ago
Silicon (Si) and germanium (Ge) are the main elemental semiconductors. Hope you got the answer. ALL THE BEST..
Adarsh 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts