There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

How can we simplify complex circuit diagrams? Please explain with examples.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Typically, complex circuits are not arranged in nice, neat, clean schematic diagrams for us to follow. They are often drawn in such a way that makes it difficult to follow which components are in series and which are in parallel with each other. The purpose of this section is to show you a method useful for re-drawing circuit schematics in a neat and orderly fashion. Like the stage-reduction strategy for solving series-parallel combination circuits, it is a method easier demonstrated than described.

Let's start with the following (convoluted) circuit diagram

With electric circuits and circuit diagrams, the length and routing of wire connecting components in a circuit matters little. (Actually, in some AC circuits it becomes critical, and very long wire lengths can contribute unwanted resistance to both AC and DC circuits, but in most cases wire length is irrelevant.) What this means for us is that we can lengthen, shrink, and/or bend connecting wires without affecting the operation of our circuit.

The strategy I have found easiest to apply is to start by tracing the current from one terminal of the battery around to the other terminal, following the loop of components closest to the battery and ignoring all other wires and components for the time being. While tracing the path of the loop, mark each resistor with the appropriate polarity for voltage drop.

In this case, I'll begin my tracing of this circuit at the negative terminal of the battery and finish at the positive terminal, in the same general direction as the electrons would flow. When tracing this direction, I will mark each resistor with the polarity of negative on the entering side and positive on the exiting side, for that is how the actual polarity will be as electrons (negative in charge) enter and exit a resistor:

Any components encountered along this short loop are drawn vertically in order:

Now, proceed to trace any loops of components connected around components that were just traced. In this case, there's a loop around R1 formed by R2, and another loop around R3 formed by R4:

Tracing those loops, I draw R2 and R4 in parallel with R1 and R3 (respectively) on the vertical diagram. Noting the polarity of voltage drops across R3 and R1, I mark R4 and R2 likewise:

so finally we get a simple circuit.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Electric Current

does an ideal capacitor absorbs or delivers reactive power
@ kalyan an ideal capacitor will absorb the reactive power and will store it for future uses . it cannot be deliver by an ideal capacitor . HOPE IT CLEARS ‘ALL THE BEST ..
Umakant biswal 7 days ago
if current is passed through spring then spring will ? (A)expand(B) compress(C)remain same(D)non of these Please,also mention reason behind it.
@ pranav when a current will pass through the spring the magnetic filed will produce since the current pass in same direction in all coil of spring , the magnetic field wil have same...
2017 years ago
Please tell me how to find the net resistance in this case.please see pic.
It would only be solved after applyinh KVL in loop 3-3-3 ohm resistances and loop 3-4-5 resistances. Or U can also tryy with KCl. As wheat stone bridge consditions doesn't satifies here.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
@ ashutosh its not a wheatstone bridge combination . so, we need to take series and parallel combination here . 3 ohm and 4 ohm are in series , and anathor 3 ohm and 5 ohm they are also in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
sir what is the simplest way to solve laws of motion
@ akshay there are many problemswhich are associated with laws of motion chapter . like pulley poroblem , relative velocity proble , etc … so, which problem u want to explain me as a...
Umakant biswal one month ago
SSorry, but your question is something bewildered. Did U mean by laws of eqn.? if that is then u must knoq that the three newton's laws of eqns. are used to solve the problems related to...
Vikas TU one month ago
WHAT IS UNDER DAMPED OSCILLATIONS..................................?
Dear Gangadhar, Under damped oscillations when the amplitude is rapidly decreases and becomes to the rest position.
SAI SARDAR 7 months ago
The three resulting cases for the damped oscillator are ... When a damped oscillator is underdamped , it approaches zero faster than in the case of critical damped
Prabhakar ch 7 months ago
what is coundcters
Basically there are 2 types of conductors (1) good conductors and (2)bad conductors.(1) Good conductors are those which allow heat or electricity to pass through steel,copper...
Drovan Reddy one year ago
Conductors are substances which allows current to flow. Examples : Copper, silver Silver is the best conductorof electricity. Most metals are conductors except lead and most of the non...
A M S ARUN KRISHNA one year ago
An electrical conductor is a substance in which electrical charge carriers, usually electrons, move easily from atom to atom with the application of voltage. Conductivity, in general, is...
KARTHIK one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Electric Current

Ask Experts