I am currently in class 12. I would like to pursue a career in Marine Engineering? I wanted to know if Btech Marine Engineering if done from a top college has good market or not compared to the other engineering branches like CSE and Chemical Engg.? thank you.

I am currently in class 12. I would like to pursue a career in Marine Engineering? I wanted to know if Btech Marine Engineering if done from a top college has good market or not compared to the other engineering branches like CSE and Chemical Engg.?
thank you.

Grade:11

2 Answers

Aziz Alam IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 232 Points
9 years ago
Marine Engg. is indeed good. The gestation period is long compared to CS & Chemical., but the most important aspect of life is that you will have the best balance of work and personal life. In case of CS & Chem it may result into giving extra time after work but in marine it is very very rare.
In termns of monetary value CS does have a upper hand over Marine Engg., but Marine & Chem Engg are at par.
As far as market is concerned it is growing in India but is very huge outside. Also by the time you will graduate with Marine Engg degree the market size in India will also be great.

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
9 years ago
About course

Marine Engineering offers an exciting career for adventurous students. It involves the construction and maintenance of ships, other sailing vessels, ports and cargo facilities at waterfront. Also known as Ocean Engineering, it broadly refers to the engineering of boats, ships, oil rigs and any other marine vessel or structure. Marine engineers are responsible for maintaining a ship’s machinery such as the engine room, electric motors and propulsive engines and other devices to ensure proper functioning. Marine engineers apply the engineering sciences like mechanical engineering and electrical engineering to the development, design, operation and maintenance of watercraft propulsion and on-board systems; e.g. power and propulsion plants, machinery, piping, automation and control systems etc. for marine vehicles of any kind like surface ships, submarines etc.

Further education

After doing Bachelor’s, you can go for M.Tech or ME in Marine Engineering.

Job profiles

The job profiles of the Marine Engineers are as Marine Engineer, Navy Weapon Engineering Officer, Marine Engineering Officer, Harbor Master and Pumpman.

Core subjects

Ship structure and construction

Marine Boiler

Mechanics and Machines

Marine Internal Combustion Engine

Naval Architecture

Marine Electrical Technology

Marine Auxiliary Machines

Marine Machinery

Top recruiters

Merchant Navy,

Navy