There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

If A = 2i + j - 3k and B = i - 2j + k,find a vector of magnitude 5 perpendicular to both A and B.

7 years ago

Answers : (3)

Let us suppose the vector is xi + yj + zk . Now take its dot product with each vector individually and equate it to zero , becoz since it is perpendicular to the given vectors , its dot product with the vectors must be zero.

So, u get two eq from this , nw since there are three variables u need one more eq, so u use the magnitude of the vector as the third eq and solve these three eq for the unknowns.

7 years ago

find the cross product of the two vectors A and B,that will be perpendicular to both these vectors(call that vector as C).find the unit vector along the direction of vector C and mutiply with 5,u will get the reqiured answer.

7 years ago

$ - means squre root.

the vector perpendicular to A & B is A x B

A x B = i(1-6)-j(2+3)+k(-4-1)

=  -5(i+j+k)

unit vector along A x B is =A x B / |A x B|

= -5(i+j+k) / $(75)

= (i + j + k )/ $3

therefore vector of magnitude 5 in directon of A x B is = 5(i + j + k)/ $3

and it may be in opposite direction that of  A x B

Ans.(+ or -)5(i+j+k)/$3

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Discuss with Askiitians Tutors

What is iota^iota . I really needed to know this so my friend told me that ask the iitians . So i am asking an iitian , hopefully you will answer my question ASAP thanks
@ lvanish iota is besically a greek letter which is used to define the imaginary part of a complex number lets say we have an equation x^2 +1 =0 the value of x will be the square root of -1 ...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
actually the ans is (-pie/2). here, lets assume that A=i ^i. taking log on both side, we can write> log A =ilogi logA=ilog(1i)...... logA=i[ log1+logi] logarithm property...
krunal 2 months ago
Iota is a complex number with the value of root under -1 , so iota to the power iota is , root under -1 to the power root under -1. THANKS POST IF ANY QUERY OR DOUBT
SAHIL 2 months ago
how much time i have to give in all subject to get 90% percent marks in cbse class 12 (pcm)
SAHIL one month ago
@ ashok it varies from diffrent student to student . so, whatever time u are giving just utilise it to be the maximum . and getting 90 percent in cbse is easy that i experienced , just u...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Which books can you recommend me for isi or cmi exam
Elements of coordinate geometry by S. L. Loney Elementary Number Theory by David Burton Problems in Calculus of One Variable by I. A. Maron THESE ARE SOE GOOD BOOKS YOU CAN CHOOSE WHILE...
SAHIL 3 months ago
@ shohan the following books are best for isi and cmi exam 1- modern geometry by m . a durrel plane geometry by sl loney elements of coordinate geometry by sl loney higher algebra by s...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Well,is computer science or ECE good ih hyderabad BITS campus, if not then in which campus is it good?, is it enough to score 330 in bits to get a seat in BITS(ECE/CSE) in a good campus??
Yes both are good branches if you are able to score in Pilani its good or Hyderabad is not bad either . Yes if you are able to get this much definitely you will get engineering branch in...
Sourabh Singh 5 months ago
It totally depends on your personal choice as well as your interest what you really want to be in your life, otherwise both the branches are equally good. To talk about good colleges or...
Aneesh Sehgal 5 months ago
plzz give me list of most scoring topics of all the three subjects..pcm
Maths-matrices,trignometry. Physics-electricity,magnetism,heat,fluid mech Chem-organic and physical. Gaseous state,chemical bonding
D Amirtha one year ago
Hello Sir, In the recent JEE Advanced 2015 , I have got seat in IIT Jodhpur for Mechanical Engineering.I also have BITS Goa for Mechanical Engineering. Which institute should I go for now ?
If the placements of any institute is better then other that directly means that the quality of education is better there. Regarding infrastructure, ofcourse BITS will have better as IITJ is...
Vijay Mukati one year ago
You can choose the IIT brand. Also compare the placements records of the both before selecting.
BITS Pilani is also awesome. You will have the bright future there too.
View all Questions »

• Complete AIPMT/AIIMS Course and Test Series
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • View Details

Get extra R 3,750 off

More Questions On Discuss with Askiitians Tutors

Ask Experts