Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 320 off

What is the origin of a function?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear paul,

To provide the classical understanding of functions, think of a function as a kind of machine. You feed the machine raw materials, and the machine changes the raw materials into a finished product based on a specific set of instructions. The kinds of functions we consider here, for the most part, take in a real number, change it in a formulaic way, and give out a real number (possibly the same as the one it took in). Think of this as an input-output machine; you give the function an input, and it gives you an output. For example, the squaring function takes the input 4 and gives the output value 16. The same squaring function takes the input − 1 and gives the output value 1.

A function is usually written as f, g, or something similar - although it doesn't have to be. A function is always defined as "of a variable" which tells us what to replace in the formula for the function.

For example, f(x) = 3x+2 \ tells us:

• The function f is a function of x.

• To evaluate the function at a certain number, replace the x with that number.

• Replacing x with that number in the right side of the function will produce the function's output for that certain input

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Differential Calculus

e x l og a + e alogx +e aloga
since we can write e xlog a =e log a^x =a x so the required answer is a x +x a +a a
Revti Raman one year ago
tell me tricks in calculations??????????????????/////???????????/
if you may know the shortcuts then you may solve many problems in a fraction of please try to know the shortcuts.
N JYOTHEESWAR 9 months ago
hi chethan Have someone type in any number between 1 and 900 into the calculator without letting you know what it is. (Actually, this trick will work for numbers greater ...
manichandra 9 months ago
dear iitian.. there are many skills to calculate calculation....first we have to know the shortcuts then only you have able to the solve problems..............
mohan 9 months ago
Give me very long seminar points for TOTAL DERIVATIVES ?
TOTAL DERIVATIVES is the derivative of the function with having more than 2 variables. Just like f(x,y,t) or f(x,y,z) And here derivative of f w.r.t t always assumes that all other...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Consider to curves ax 2 + 4xy + 2y 2 + x + y + 5 =0 and ax 2 + 6xy + 5y 2 + 2x + 3y + 8 = 0 . These two curves intersect at 4 concyclic points . Find ‘a’
Apply Faamily of circles concept here. that is : S1 + kS2 = 0 and then for the concylic concept it must be a circle. therfore coeff. of xy should be zero and coeff. of x^2 and coeff. of y^2 ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
If I= integral tan(tan^-1 (x)) than find the value of I. I=?
tan(tan^-1 (x)) = x So I = integral x dx so I = x^2 /2 now find I.I Thanks
Nishant Vora one month ago
What is the next number in series 1,3,7,25,103,? (i) 526 (ii) 521 (iii) 515 (iv) 509
I too feel the same but this question has been given in FIITJEE mental ability book for Udaya-I for class 8. In book its answer has been given as 521 but no logic has been given for it. If...
Akshit Khanna one year ago
1 * 1 + 2 =3 3 * 2 + 1=7 7 * 3 + 4=25 25 * 4 + 3=103 103 * 5 + 6=521 521 * 6 + 5=3131 Here the sequence is first multiply by 2 and then add 1 AND in the next number the reverse is following ...
Rudrajyoti Das 3 months ago
I feel that there is some mistake in the question since...there is no relation between the 4 th and 3 rd , 5 th and 4 th .. Please recheck the question.....
Shubham Kamleshbhai Patel one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 320 off

More Questions On Differential Calculus

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn