What is the scope of mechanical engineering from IIT

What is the scope of mechanical engineering from IIT

Grade:12th pass

2 Answers

Pooja
askIITians Faculty 477 Points
5 years ago
Dear Student,
Mechanical engineering is the evergreen branch among all other branches of engineering. They deal with the concepts of mechanics, thermodynamics, robotics, kinematics, structural mechanics, fluid mechanics, power sector, refrigeration, air conditioning sector and aerospace. There is a great scope of mechanical engineering now-a-days. It is expanding beyond its boundaries and more of interdisciplinary in nature. It is one of the oldest branches of engineering. This field of engineering is the broadest of all engineering fields, job prospects on offer for skilled engineer are plenty and unending. They can find employment in both government as well as private sector. Mechanical engineers are required to design, test, manufacture, install, operate and maintain a wide array of machines and mechanical systems that are used in industries. There is a great scope of job avenues for mechanical engineers in India.
Indian Engineering Services
Gate- Indian Oil -ONGC, BARC etc.
Rithvik
46 Points
5 years ago

Doing engineering from IIT will make you earn in 10 digit figure. If you have the same belief, allow me to change your mind. If you had asked this question about 20 years back, the answer would be “ Engineering is the most prestigious career and will ensure you a safe and luxurious life”. But today with opening up of the engineering colleges at every street of this country, the charm that was associated with engineering is fading day and day.

Now lets talk about the salaries of the freshers in the field. The average salary offered is approx 4–5 lacs per year. This is what the top institute in India offers you. I am only referring to the jobs offered in the “core field” . One of the highest package is offered by Tata Motors Mechanical Engineer at ₹6,60,804 per year.

Now coming to the government jobs… you will be supersized to know that the average salary 12k -20k ….yes.. EVEN IF YOU ARE FROM IIT …!!!

One of my friends cracked a 8 lac deal with a company in Gurugram, Haryana. But let me tell you very honestly, the job profile has nothing to do with Mechanical Engineering.Yes, If you change from field and switch to some other branch of engineering or if you wish to pursue MBA from some IIM, you might get a better package. Are you that stupid to study your whole life — Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics ……????and then suddenly realize that it is not your field. If you have clear in your mind that MBA is the thing for you, start with something that will add on to it later.

PS: Go for the field ONLY and only if you are passionate about and you have the potential too.The starting is low and only those are able to survive who are excellent with their work. In case you have second thoughts, i would suggest you to look for something that would be a perfect match for you.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free