find the length of the laus rectum of the parabola-

4y^2+2x-20y+17=0

plz help..thanx in advance!!

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

the above equation can be written as 

( 2y-5)^2=2(x+4)

therefore the length of the latus rectum is 2

2 years ago

A small mistake in the above post.

(2y-5)2 = -2x-17+25 = -2x+8 = -2(x-4)

or, (y- 5/2)2 = -1/2 * (x-4)

So Latus Rectum is 1/2 .

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is the relation between the distances of Orthocentre, circumcentre and centroid in coordinate geomtry?

O = orthocentre G = centroid C = circumcentre so orthocentre , centroid and circumcentre belong to a straight line , called Line of Euler . thanks and regards
  img
Ajay Verma 2 months ago
if pair of lines ax^2+2hxy+by^2+2gx+2fy+c=0 intersect on y axis then ... a.2fgh=hg^2+ch^2 b.hg^2 not equal to ch^2 c.abc=2fgh d.none of these

A pair of equations intersecting on the y-axis is given by: (px+my+n)(qx+my+n)=0. You can see that by putting x=0 in each factor on the LHS, and observing that the y-coordinate is the same....
  img
bharat bajaj 6 months ago
A particle begins at the origin and moves successively, 1 unit to the right, 1/2 unit up, 1/4 unit to the left, 1/8 unit down, 1/16 unit to the right, 1/32 unit up etc.The length of each...

ans: total displacement in X direction : step-1 : 1 unit right (+ve X direction) step-3 : 1/2 2 unit left (-ve X deirction) step-5: 1/2 4 unit right ( +ve X direction) step-7 : 1/2 6 unit (...
  img
Ajay Verma 8 months ago

x coordinate = 1-(1/4)+(1/16)-(1/64)....... y coordinate = (1/2) -(1/8) + (1/32) ......... converge the above two series to get the X and Y as the result of converging coordinate Thanks...
  img
Saurabh Singh 8 months ago
Find the co-ordinates of the point on the curve y=x^2+3x+4 the tangent passes through origin.

Hi, Find the slope of tangent by differentation. The slope will be 2x+3, Here x is the point on the curve. Let it be h. So slope will he 2h+3. Equation of tangent passing through origin will...
  img
Yash Baheti 14 days ago
A unit vector in xy-plane that makes an angle of 45(degree) with the vector i(cap)+j(cap) and an angle of tan(inverse)(4/5) with the vector 3(icap)-4(jcap) is...

The vector in xy plane is ai + bj Since it is a unit vector we have a^2 + b^2 = 1 -------- (1) The angle made by the vector ai + bj & i + j cos 45 = (a*1 + b*1)/sq root(a^2 + b^2) * sq root...

Y RAJYALAKSHMI 2 months ago

I did not write (cap) for vector so that we do not get confused with thest signs. ^ means square ----- a^ 2 means ‘a square’ * means multiplication ------ a * 1 means ‘ a multiplied by 1’

Y RAJYALAKSHMI 2 months ago

Sir, Thankyou for your Reply but sir i. a^2 + b^2 = 1 ii.1^2 + 1^2 iii. a*1 + b*1 what is this stand for I dont know...means its 2ai(cap) or something else...

Pritesh 2 months ago
A body covers 2m in first 2 seconds and another 2.2 m in next 4 sec.Find its velocity at the end of 7 sec from the start.

Hii Student The exact data and direction is not given in the given problem . So for finding out velocity vector the given information is not exact. Ambiguity is present in the question....
  img
Sourabh Singh one month ago
View all Questions »