At a certain stage of a criminal investigation, the inspector in-charge is 60% convince of the guilt of a certain suspect. Suppose now a piece of evidence that shows the criminal has brown hair is uncovered. If the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is not guilty then there is 20% chance that he/she has brown hair. What is the probability that the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is guilty given he/she has brown hair?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,

•G: event that the suspect is guilty

•C: event that he possesses the characteristic of the criminal

•P(G|C) is ?

•P(G|C) = P(GC)/P(C)

= P(C|G)P(G) / [P(C|G)P(G) + P(C|Gc)P(Gc)]

= 1(.6)/[1(.6) + (.15)(.4)] ≈ .91

Thanks and Regards
Shaik Aasif
askIITians faculty
7 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
If a, b are natural numbers such that 2013 + a 2 = b 2 , then the minimum possible value of ab is Sol. (b - a) (b + a) = 2013 = 3 × 11 × 61 ( In what logic in their mind they split this ) ab...

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below Given a 2 +2013=b 2 it can also be written as b 2 -a 2 =2013 by prime factorization we have b 2 -a 2 =3*11*61 so...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 4 months ago
the position o the vectors A,B,C of a triangle are i-j-3k, 2i+j-2k and -5i+2j-6k respectively.the length of the bisector AD of the angle BAC where D is on the line segment BC,is 1-15/2 2-¼...

if this is not the answer then please post the solution .. but think this is a correct approach

abhidon3 3 months ago

see as AD is internal bisector o angle BAC , it ( that is the point D ) will divide BD and DC in the ratio of AB/AC i.e 1:3 . now using the division formula get the cordinate of D . and find...

abhidon3 3 months ago
how many 5 letter words can be formed from letters of INDEPENDENT

11 LETTERS.3N’S 3E’S 2D’S 1P 1I 1T. NO.OF 5 LETTER WORDS; CASE 1;OUT OF 5 3ARE ALIKE AND 2 ARE DIFFERENT 2C1.5C2.5!/3!=400 CASE 2;OUT OF 5 3 ARE ALIKE OF ONE KIND AND 2 ARE ALIKE OF OTHER...

yaswanth one month ago

11 LETTERS.3N’S 3E’S 2D’S 1P 1I 1T. NO.OF 5 LETTER WORDS; CASE 1;OUT OF 5 3ARE ALIKE AND 2 ARE DIFFERENT 2C1.5C2.5!/3!=400 CASE 2;OUT OF 5 3 ARE ALIKE OF ONE KIND AND 2 ARE ALIKE OF OTHER...

yaswanth one month ago

yaswanth one month ago
solve for x sin3x *sin(cube) x +cos3x *cos(cube) x=0 arun sir answered me but it was a tough method i need some easy way as i am in 11 th so a method which i couldget please answer>>>

Ans: It is a simple polynomial, you can easily solve. And if you have options, you can hit & trial.
  img
Jitender Singh 6 months ago

sir can u explain me how u solved the third last step not getting ?? is there any such identity??

rashmi 6 months ago
What is the value of ∫ e -x (1-tanx)secx dx .

Hi, Just differentiate your answer with respect to x, if you are getting the original function (as in the question), then your answer is correct, otherwise wrong....
  img
Shobhit Varshney 3 months ago

Hi, Please use the integration formula by parts and take e-x to be first function and the remaining to be second...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 3 months ago

I just want the answer to see whether my answer is correct or not.

Shibashis Mallik 3 months ago
please help .........

Hi student Let sinx= t 2t 2 +3t – 2 = 2t 2 +4t -t -2 = 2t(t+2) -1(t+2)= (2t -1)(t+2) Now given (2t-1)(t+2)>0 => t>1/2 or t<-2 => sinx> ½ or sinx <-2 (not...
  img
Harsh Patodia 3 months ago

in equation 1 ...can i write 2pi/3 (pi/2+pi/6).......instead of 5pi/6 ….….….…....

milind 3 months ago
View all Questions »