At a certain stage of a criminal investigation, the inspector in-charge is 60% convince of the guilt of a certain suspect. Suppose now a piece of evidence that shows the criminal has brown hair is uncovered. If the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is not guilty then there is 20% chance that he/she has brown hair. What is the probability that the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is guilty given he/she has brown hair?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,

•G: event that the suspect is guilty

•C: event that he possesses the characteristic of the criminal

•P(G|C) is ?

•P(G|C) = P(GC)/P(C)

= P(C|G)P(G) / [P(C|G)P(G) + P(C|Gc)P(Gc)]

= 1(.6)/[1(.6) + (.15)(.4)] ≈ .91

Thanks and Regards
Shaik Aasif
askIITians faculty
3 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
if a 2 +b 2 +c 2 -ab-bc-ca=0 then prove that a=b=c

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below a² + b² + c² = ab + bc + ca Multiplying both sides with "2", we have 2 ( a² + b² + c² ) =...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 2 months ago
Let a,b,c E R and a (is not equal to 0) be such that (a+c) 2 2, then the quadratic equation ax 2 + bx + c = 0 has : Imaginary roots. Real roots. Exactly one real root lying in the...

Hello student, Please find my response to your question below Iam unable to interpret your query Because you didot mention the condition clearly here so without condition you may not get an...
  img

Hello student, Please find my response to your question below What does the line’a (is not equal to 0) be such that (a+c) 2 ’mean it does not have a meaning i think there should...
  img

in the first line it is (a+c)^2

Ujjwal 2 months ago
A cricket player played n (n>1) matches during his career and made a total of (n^2-12n+39)(4.6^n-5.3^n+1)/5 runs. If T r represents the runs made by the player in r^th match such that T 1...

Hello student, Please find my response to your question below I think there is some information part missing in the above question so iam not able to solve this problem please recheck the...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 26 days ago
One of the two events must occur. if the chance of one is 2/3 of the other, then the odds in the favor of the other are:

Hello Student, The upper is favor and lower is not in favor so 3 is not in favor means its in favor of other =>3/2 Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 3 months ago
if 2CosA = x+1//x and 2CosB = y+1/y then find 2cos(A+B) (A) x/y +y/x (B) x/y-y/x (C) 2y/x (D) 2x/y

Solve these as quadratic equations in x & y so that you get x = cosA + i sinA & cosA – i sinA; y = cosB + i sinB & cosB – isinB If x = cosA + i sinA then 1/x = cosA – i sinA ; y = cosB + i...

Y RAJYALAKSHMI 7 days ago

hey the ques you have given is not correct the answer for the ques you have given is xy + 1/xy The answer for 2cos ( A – B ) is x/y + y/x This can proved by the similar method of using x and...

Kaustubh Nayyar 6 days ago

sorry there is a mistake in my typing in question ie 2cos A= x + 1/x

divyanshu 7 days ago
what is meant by ccontunity of functions

Ans: Continuity of a function at a given point means that it should exist at the given point & left hand limit & right hand limit should exist & equal to each other &...
  img
Jitender Singh 3 months ago
View all Questions »