At a certain stage of a criminal investigation, the inspector in-charge is 60% convince of the guilt of a certain suspect. Suppose now a piece of evidence that shows the criminal has brown hair is uncovered. If the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is not guilty then there is 20% chance that he/she has brown hair. What is the probability that the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is guilty given he/she has brown hair?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,

•G: event that the suspect is guilty

•C: event that he possesses the characteristic of the criminal

•P(G|C) is ?

•P(G|C) = P(GC)/P(C)

= P(C|G)P(G) / [P(C|G)P(G) + P(C|Gc)P(Gc)]

= 1(.6)/[1(.6) + (.15)(.4)] ≈ .91

Thanks and Regards
Shaik Aasif
askIITians faculty
one month ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Prove that the determinant of a skew symmetric matrix of even order is a perfect square

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below see that for an [nXn] skew symmetric marix A, with n odd, we have [det A=0] , which is againa perfect square. if n is even, let...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 4 hours ago
if x be real number such that x^3+4x=8 then value of x^7+64x^2=?

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below (x^3 + 4x)^2 = 8^2 => x^6 + 16x^2 + 8x^4 = 64; Multiply both sides by x => x^7 + 16x^3 + 8x^5 = 64x; Add 16x^3 in both...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 13 days ago
if ln(a+c)+ln(a-2b+c)=2ln(a-c) find the relation between a,b and c

apply the properties of logarithm and obtain the result: ln(a 2 -2ab+ac+ac-2bc+c 2 )=ln(a 2 +c 2 -2ac) on equating arguments of log on both sides and solving you will get the equality:...

siddharth gupta 28 days ago
Integrate log(1+tan x) from 0 to pi/4

Ans: Thanks & Regards Jitender Singh IIT Delhi askIITians Faculty
  img
Jitender Singh one month ago
Sir in this question Prove that the vectors 3i+2j-2k,-i+3j+4k and 4i-j-6k can form a triangle. If we find the distance between the vectors and add them then we get zero so it is proved. But...

LET a =3i+2j-2k , b =-i+3j+4k and c =4i-j-6k,you see on adding b and c we obtain a therfore a,b and c form a triangle according to TRIANGLE LAW OF VECTOR ADDITION. with regards SIDDHARTH...

siddharth gupta one month ago
What does differentiation actually mean

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Differentiation is a preocess of finding the derivative. Derivative is a fundamental tool of calculus. Thederivativeof afunction...
  img
Jitender Singh 9 days ago
View all Questions »