At a certain stage of a criminal investigation, the inspector in-charge is 60% convince of the guilt of a certain suspect. Suppose now a piece of evidence that shows the criminal has brown hair is uncovered. If the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is not guilty then there is 20% chance that he/she has brown hair. What is the probability that the inspector in-charge is convinced that the suspect is guilty given he/she has brown hair?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hello student,

•G: event that the suspect is guilty

•C: event that he possesses the characteristic of the criminal

•P(G|C) is ?

•P(G|C) = P(GC)/P(C)

= P(C|G)P(G) / [P(C|G)P(G) + P(C|Gc)P(Gc)]

= 1(.6)/[1(.6) + (.15)(.4)] ≈ .91

Thanks and Regards

Shaik Aasif

askIITians faculty

2 months ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Let aplha + iota*beta : a, b belong to R be root of equation x^3 + qx + r =0 ,r belong to R. Find a real cubic equation ,independent of alpha and beta whose one root is 2 aplha

Hello student, Iam unable to interpret your query. please recheck the question and post it again so that i can provide you a meaningful answer.
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED one month ago
If ax2 - bx +5 = 0 does not have 2 distinct real roots, then find the minimum value of 5a + b?

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below Given equation is ax^2-bx+5=0. Since the equation does not have 2 distinct real roots, therefore discriminant 0 i.e. b 2 -20a 0...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 5 days ago

ax^2-bx+5=0. Since the equation does not have 2 distinct real roots, therefore discriminant i.e. b^2-20a 20a >/= b^2 5a >/= b^2 /4 5a+b >/= b^2/4 + b. b^2/4 + b is a quadratic equation whose...

Sargun Nagpal 5 days ago

ax^2-bx+5=0. Since the equation does not have 2 distinct real roots, therefore discriminant i.e. b^2-20a 20a >/= b^2 5a >/= b^2 /4 5a+b >/= b^2/4 + b. b^2/4 + b is a quadratic equation whose...

Sargun Nagpal 5 days ago
the number of words in SUCCESS in which the consonents appear in alphabetic order is? please give detail answer so that i can solve all alpabetic arrangement questions. thanks

Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below In any rearrangement of the word SUCCESS, there are 5!/3!2!=10 ways to permutate theconsonents in the word. Only 1 of out these...
  img
SHAIK AASIF AHAMED 12 hours ago
No. of solutions of x,where x belongs to [0,2pie] and satisfies the equation, |sin a| +|cos a | = |sin x| where a is any real number. (Plz provide solution with explanation)

Solution: 2 Consider the left hand side of the equation and find its range. To do that let’s take its square ( |sin a| +|cos a |) 2 =sin 2 a+cos 2 a+|sin 2a| = 1 + |sin 2a| Since 0...

Sandeep Pathak 7 days ago
if a parabola whose length of latus rectum is 4a touches the coordinate axes the find the locus of its focus

please check the attached file
  img
Sunil Raikwar 6 months ago

Let (h,k) be the focus of the hyperbola, since it touches the axis tangent at the vertex should be and the equation of its directrix should be and the perpendicular distance from direcrtrix...

sunil raikwar 6 months ago

Hi Pranjal, There is slight technical issue. Please post these questions again in analytical Geometry. We will upload the answers for the same. askIITians Faculty

sunil raikwar 6 months ago
COS(A-B)/COS(A+B)+COS(C+D)/COS(C-D)=0 THEN SHOW THAT tan A tan B tan C tan D=-1

STEP1:COS(A-B)/COS(A+B)=(COS(A)COS(B)+SIN(A)SIN(B))/(COS(A)COS(B)-SIN(A)SIN(B)) SIMILARLY OPEN THE EXPRESSION FOR THE OTHER TERM. STEP2:DIVIDE NUMERATOR AND DENOMINATOR IN BOTH CASES BY...

siddharth gupta one month ago
View all Questions »