Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

Find all pairs (a,b) of real nos. such that whatever k is a root of x2+ax+b=0 k2-2 is also a root of the equation

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Let one root be k. Now the other root has to be equal to k^2 - 2. This is because a quadratic equation can have only two roots(equal or unequal). Now using the standard results, we get k+k^2-2 = -a (Sum of the roots = -(b/a). Here b=a, a=1.) Similarly, k(k^2 - 2)=b. These two equations now form an identity in k. For any value of k, we get a definite value for a and b. Thus there are infinitely many possibilities for the values of a and b. 

As a trial, try it out with k=3. we get a=-10, b=21. So, the quadratic equation formed is

x^2-10x+21=0. Factorising, we get (x-3)(x-7)=0. So x=3 or x=7. Now, we had taken k=3. So k^2-2 will be 7 which is also the root of the equation. Thus, the relation that we have found for a and b holds.
7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

Sir, this is my doubt please clarify, Let f:R->R be a function given by f(x+y) = f(x)+f(y) for all x,y belongs to R such that F91)=a, f(x)= Sir, Kindly give me the solution
Lim h->0 [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / h = f`(x) Lim h->0 [ f(x) + f(h) - f(x) ] / h = f`(x) As f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) Lim h->0 f(h) / h = f`(x) Transforming into differential eq. y/x = dy/dx (variable...
2017 years ago
Where can I get solutions of ml khanna or A das gupta?
@ pratyay there is a separate book coming , on the name of SOLUTION TO PROBLEMS IN IIT MATHS BY A DAS GUPTA , by bharti bhawan , just take it , it explained each and every ques of a das...
Umakant biswal 28 days ago
Given the three circles x 2 +y 2 -16x+60=0, 3x 2 +3y 2 -36x+81=0,x 2 +y 2 -16x-12y+84=0,find (i)the point from which the tangents to them are equal in length and (ii)this length.
let that point be (h.k) Now we know that Length of tangent is given by root(S1) So length of tangent to circle 1 is root(h2+k2-16h+60) Similarily for other two and then equate all the...
Nishant Vora one month ago
The radical axis of two circles has the property that the tangents drawn from a point on it to both the circles will have the same length. Radical axis equation quite naturally is S 1 =S 2...
mycroft holmes one month ago
Can you plz explain it clearly to me to understand?? thanking you Sir..............................................................................................................
Hansraj Gyanendra Singh Rajawat one month ago
There are 5 gun`s that when properly aimed and fired have respective probabilities of hitting the target as follows:0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8&0.9 one of the gun`s chosen at random aimed and fired what...
Each gun has a probability of 1/5 to get selected.Let the guns be A,B,C,&D having probability of hitting the target as 0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8 &0.9 respectively. Probability that the target is hit...
Gundeep Singh 14 days ago
sai kumar one year ago
Charles Babbage was considered to be the father of computing after his invention and concept of the Analytical Engine in 1837. The Analytical Engine contained an Arithmetic Logic Unit...
HARINATH one year ago
Charles Babbage was considered to be the father of computing after his invention and concept of the Analytical Engine in 1837. The Analytical Engine contained an Arithmetic Logic Unit...
Ankit Jaiswal 9 months ago
i want to s∫tudy number theory for rmo help ∫ pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
@ rohith Kindly let me know what problems u are facing in studying the number theory ?? so, that we can help you out in understanding this concept . WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE . ALL THE BEST ...
Umakant biswal 20 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn