Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

Hi i am sneha. i am slight confused in Finding the domain, Simplifying rational expressions...So plz help me ...

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

Simplifying rational expressions

Thinking back to when you were dealing with whole number fractions , one of the first things you did was simplify them: You "cancelled off" factors which were in common between the numerator and denominator. You could do this because dividing any number by itself gives you just "1", and you can ignore factors of "1".

Using the same reasoning and methods, let's simplify some rational expression

To simplify a numerical fraction, I would cancel off any common numerical factors. For this rational expression (this polynomial fraction), I can similarly cancel off any common numerical or variable factors.

The numerator factors as (2)(x); the denominator factors as (x)(x). Anything divided by itself is just "1", so I can cross out any factors common to both the numerator and the denominator. Considering the factors in this particular fraction, I get:

Then the simplified form of the expression is:  2/X

7 years ago

When you dealt with fractions, you knew that the fraction could have any whole numbers for the numerator and denominator, as long as you didn't try to divide by zero. When dealing with rational expressions, you will often need to evaluate the expression, and it can be useful to know which values would cause division by zero, so you can avoid these x-values. So probably the first thing you'll do with rational expressions is find their domains.

Find the domain of 3/x

The domain is all values that x is allowed to be. Since I can't divide by zero (division by zero isn't allowed), I need to find all values of x that would cause division by zero. The domain will then be all otherx-values. When is this denominator equal to zero? When x = 0.

Then the domain is "all x not equal to zero".                                                                                                           

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

sir does the sequence an=npi cosnpi converge or diverge
an=npi cosnpi an = npi* (-1)^n Thus on increasing n the magnitude would also increase in negative and positive x – axis both side. Thus it would go continuosly. thus it converges.
Vikas TU one month ago
The sum of first 9 terms of the series 1³/1 +1³+2³/1+3...... Is
[hint: find the nth term and then find its summation] Tn for the series is : Tn= {(n+1)^2 }/4 Then use the summation of this Tn with n from 1 to 9. ∑ Tn = 96. Hope this helps. Comment if...
Anuj Shrivastav one month ago
Can anyone plz solve the 10 problem plzIn sequence and series 10 problem is a doubt
Just rationalize each term and you will get D as all terms in middle will get cancel.
Harsh Patodia one month ago
my test is day after tomorrow give me advice please
go to bed at time and donot study till late night health is wealth so take a balanced diet no new concepts at this time just proper sleep and fresh mind helps you to give your best best of...
SAHIL 6 months ago
show that the right triangle of maximum area that can be inscribed in a circle is an isosceles triangle
Dear Student, If we consider a circle with center O and triangle ABC inscribed on it If Angle BC is a diamter then we know that angle in a semi-circle is right angle, which means Angle BAC...
Vijay Mukati 8 months ago
prove that (cosecA-secA)(cota-tana)=(cosecA+secA)(secAcosecA-2)
Harsh Patodia one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn