Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

In an exam 70% passed in English 65% passed in Maths while 27% failed in both.If 248 candidates  passed in both.Find the total number of candidates

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Vivek,

Solution:-Let the total no. of candidates are 'n'.

Then, no. of candidates passed in English (E) = 0.7n,

no. of candidates passed in Maths (M) = 0.65n, and

no. of candidates neither passed in English nor in Maths (E‾ ∩ M‾) = 0.27n.

[Here, E‾ and  M‾ are the complements of E and M respectively.]

no. of candidates passed in both (E ∩ M) = 248

We know, (E U M) = n - (E‾ ∩ M‾) [Very standard formula]

and (E U M) = (E) + (M) - (E ∩ M) [Another standard formula]

These two formulas will give-

n - (E‾ ∩ M‾) = (E) + (M) - (E ∩ M)

n - 0.27n = 0.7n+0.65n - 248

n = 400 (Ans)

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best Vivek!!!

Askiitians Experts

Priyansh Bajaj

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

if (x^5)-(x^3)+ x =a,x>0,then prove that (x^6)>=2a-1
Equivalently we have to prove that or and dividing by x 3 on both sides, we have Setting this is equivalent to the inequality which is same as or From A.M – G.M Inequality, we have 3"...
mycroft holmes one month ago
Later realized there is a far simpler way: We are given So, as by AM-GM, …........................................................................................
mycroft holmes one month ago
how to define following modules function? Ix 2 -6x+10I?
If |x| = y means x = y or – y. So the function inside the\ modulas can be positive or negative but the value after apply the modulas function will always be positive. Thanks,
Vijay Mukati one month ago
I am not getting the derivation of the formula nPr=n!÷(n-r)!. n=no. of objects and r=no. of times taken (the object)
Consider that you have three drawers and 10 balls of different colors. Now in how many ways can you fill all three drawers with balls from set of 10 balls so that each drawer conatins one...
Ajay 3 months ago
Please answer it fast! not able to understand permutations and combinations without it. 😢 Anyone kindly answer it. Hurry up please!!
riya 3 months ago
I need some help in this question. plz answer if u can. consider a line on z axis (or z axis itself) now shift it 30dgr towards x axis. then 30 dgr towards y axis. plz find the angle from...
Hii You can use vectors form. First the line is in xz plane .Write down its equation in terms of vectors , then the line moves to the 3D plane which can be used again with vectors . In this...
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
sorry sir i am not getting how to use vertor in this quesion can u plz explain me in more detail well thanks for your answer
Ankit Jaiswal 2 months ago
why electric current is not considered a vector quantity althogh it has magnitude as well as direction
@ shivam i agree than electriccurrent havemagnitude aswell as direction . but it does not obey the vector law of addition and substraction . thatswhy we cannot catagorised it as a vector...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
the subnormal at any point on the curve xy n = a n+1 is constant for?
The subnormal is constant for any value of x, y, and even n, . X, Y belongs to R and n belongs to N. Because given equation denotes a simple curve so subnormal have not any restrinction...
Pushparaj Patel one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn