Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 550 off

I am 9th std student preparing for IIT-JEE.

Please send me the proof of heron's formula

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

A Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem From Heron's Formula

Let the sides of a triangle have lengths a,b and c. Introduce the semiperimeter p = (a + b + c)/2 and the area S. Then Heron's formula asserts that

S2 = p(p - a)(p - b)(p - c)

W. Dunham analyzes the original Heron's proof in his Journey through Genius.

For the right triangle with hypotenuse c, we have S = ab/2. We'll modify the right hand side of the formula by noting that

p - a = (- a + b + c)/2, p - b = (a - b + c)/2, p - c = (a + b - c)/2

It takes a little algebra to show that

16S2 = (a + b + c)(- a + b + c)(a - b + c)(a + b - c)
  = 2a2b2 + 2a2c2 + 2b2c2 - (a4 + b4 + c4)

For the right triangle, 16S2 = 4a2b2. So we have

4a2b2= 2a2b2 + 2a2c2 + 2b2c2 - (a4 + b4 + c4)

Taking all terms to the left side and grouping them yields

(a4 + 2a2b2 + b4) - 2a2c2 - 2b2c2 + c4 = 0

With a little more effort

(a2 + b2)2 - 2c2(a2 + b2) + c4 = 0

And finally

[(a2 + b2) - c2]2 = 0

For a quadrilateral with sides a, b, c and d inscribed in a circle there exists a generalization of Heron's formula discovered by Brahmagupta. In this case, the semiperimeter is defined as p = (a + b + c + d)/2. Then the following formula holds

S2 = (p - a)(p - b)(p - c)(p - d)

Since any triangle is inscribable in a circle, we may let one side, say d, shrink to 0. This leads to Heron's formula.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Algebra

if every pair of the equation x^2+px+qr=0 , x^2+qx+rp=0 , x^2+rx+pq=0 have a non zero common root then the sum of three common is ?
Sourabh Singh 24 days ago
let a be the common root then satifying the root in all the three eqns. we get, a^2 + ap + qr = 0 a^2 + aq + rp = 0 a^2 + ar + pq = 0 solving all three one by one by elimination method, we...
Vikas TU 24 days ago
Sourabh’s answer can be taken a bit further. Note that we have concluded that r is a root of the 1 st quadratic i.e. x 2 +px+qr = 0. From product of roots, the other root is q. Sum of roots ...
mycroft holmes 23 days ago
if a>0 ,b>0 ,c>0 and the maximum value of a(b 2 +c 2 ) +b(c 2 +a 2 ) +c(a 2 +b 2 ) is X abc ,then X is (a) 2 (b) 1 (c)6 (d) 3
From AM-GM inequality with equality when b=c. Repeat this for the other two terms and add and you will get RHS with equality when a=b=c
mycroft holmes 2 months ago
For Maximum value, of a(b 2 +c 2 ) +b(c 2 +a 2 ) +c(a 2 +b 2 ) every term needs to be maximum. = > that is considering a b c be triangle sides with a as hypotenuse for maximum for a(b 2 +c...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
In class 12, just few months left.. So just brushing up few topics. Need help with this complex number sum. Thank you.
Hello, I understand the situation. But unfortunately Your question in the attachement is blurred. It’s not clearly visible. So pls repost it this time try to type the question by yourself...
Vikas TU 24 days ago
IF A(cosA,sinA) B(cosB,sinC) and C(cosD,sinE) represent three vertices of the triangle . Then find the orthocentre of the triangle.
As the points A,B and C have same distance from origin (0,0). So it’s circumcentre is at (0,0) then it’s orthocentre is the of vertices of the triangle . Its orthocentre is...
Adarsh Srivastav one month ago
∫sin 2x.cos2x dx
Dear Student, Hint: Multiply and divide by 2, Use 2sinAcosA = sin (2A) and then integrate it. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
Dear Student, Use the hint as I provided. That will be easier compared to yours. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati one year ago
thanks vijay sir.. but if i substitute sin2x =t and then integrate i got different answer
sumit one year ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 550 off

More Questions On Algebra

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn