Formerly known as Regional Engineering College (REC), National Institute of Technology, Rourkela (NIT) is one of the leading national level institutions for technical education in the country. Funded by the Government of India and deemed a university, the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela nearly fifty years later, continues to contribute significantly to the growth of the techno-economic strength of the country.
The institute's campus is situated at the eastern end of Rourkela steel city, beyond Sector-1 covering an area of 2.62 km². The campus is fully residential consisting of the institute buildings, residence halls and staff colony, offering accommodation to faculty, staff and students. The Main Building of the Institute consists of the department buildings; Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical and Material Sciences Engineering and Civil Engineering departments, the Central Library, the Administrative and Academic sections. The campus also has a stadium, a Student Activity Centre (SAC), auditorium (AV Hall), canteens (Hexagon, Nescafe and Canteen), dispensary, co-operative store, post office, SBI Bank, computer centre, workshop, research centers and temples.
There are eight hostels within the campus each with a Mess of its own, financed and managed by the boarders themselves through their elected representatives. The Assistant Superintendent of Hall is mainly responsible for the Mess Management but major issues are referred to the Superintendent/ Hall Executive Body/ Hall Management Committee/Warden / Director.
- Biotechnology and Medical Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Applied Mathematics
- Computer Centre
- Central Workshop
- Training and Placement
- Humanities & Social Sciences
From various outdoor games to computer games, trekking to different activity clubs the college has everything for fun. The "student activity clubs" are a range of various versatile clubs like the AASRA, an Exclusive group for Social Work, DEGREE 361, the Institute Magazine by the student body, LEO, a smaller counterpart of Lion's Club, and ROTARACT a club allied to Rotary Club
NIT, Rourkela has over the years produced high quality engineers and scientists, and continues to do so. The alumni have shown great success in various capacities as entrepreneurs, managers, technocrats, administrators, consultants, advisers and as faculty and researchers, both in India and abroad. The amount of eminence research undertaken at the institute is also unparalleled.
Some of the notable alumni are:
- Er. TK Tripathi, Ex. Director General, CPRI
- Dr. Chandra M R Kintala(1970, Electrical), Yahoo! Labs India, Director of System Sciences and Academic Relations
- Sri CP Gurnani, (1981 - Chemical Engineering), President, Tech Mahindra, Pune
- Mr P.K.Mahapatra (1972-Chemical Engineering), President & CEO (Technology Business Sector), RPG Enterprises
- Prof. Barada Mishra (1981-Metallurgical Engineering), Director, Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar
- Mahesh Bulchandani, (1987 - Mechanical Engineering), Managing Director and Head of structuring and solutions, Asia ex-Japan, JP Morgan, Hong Kong.)
- Mr Zia Saquib (1985- Electrical Engineering), Executive Director, Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)
- Mr Vineet Vohra (1985- Mechanical Engineering), Regional Director, Citibank Singapore
- Sri L. N. Maharana (Chemical Engineering), alumnus of 1968 batch, is Head of Rare Earths Division, Indian Rare Earth Limited, Udyogmandal, Kerala.
- Sri Venkata G. Raju Bodapati, PMP, (1987 - Metallurgy), VP (Development), VisualSoft Technologies Ltd, Hyderabad.