Of Mysteries and the TruthÃ¢â‚¬â€Is BITSAT Tougher Than JEE-Main?
IITs have earned themselves a huge reputation across the world in technical education owing to many illustrious achievements in the past to its credit. Millions of engineering aspirants toil through days and nights to crack IIT-JEE in a hope of making it to the hallowed engineering institutions of India. But the claims of supremacy by IITs have been put to rest after the report of Times of India made the headlines.
According to the TOI report, BITSAT is more competitive exam than JEE-Main. To find out the truth, we must study different unique aspects of the examinations and compare them wisely.
Number of Seats V/S Number of Applications
The report published by the newspaper considered the statistics of number of seats available in BITS and IITs and number of students applying for the entrance examinations of the both institutions. Refer to the table given below:
The table shows that 1.36 Lakh candidates for BITSAT 2014 will compete for 2,000 seats at BITS campuses while 5.2 lakh IIT-JEE candidates will vie for 9,600 seats in all major IITs. BITSAT tops the list with the highest ratio of 68 followed by IIT-JEE.
Exam/Paper Patterns of the Examinations
BITSAT 2014 Exam/Paper Pattern:
There will be 150 questions in the paper. The number of questions from each section is given in the table given below:
|Subject||Number of Questions|
|Part I Physics||40|
|Part II Chemistry||40|
|Part III (a) English Proficiency
Ã‚Â (b) Logical ReasoningÃ‚Â
|Part IV Mathematics / Biology||45|
All questions in the paper will have multiple choice questions with four options. There will be only one correct answer. There will be negative marking in the paper. One right answer will fetch 3 marks while one wrong answer will fetch -1 mark.
BITSAT is a three hour exam and there is no time limit for individual parts of the test.
JEE-Main 2014 Exam/Paper Pattern:
JEE-Main 2014 had two papers.
- Paper 1 for aspirants of engineering courses (Candidates can opt for an Online Test OR Offline Test)
- Paper 2 for aspirants to the Architecture/Planning courses (available only as Pen & Paper Based Test)
- Duration of the examination was 3 hours.
JEE Main 2014 Exam Pattern for Paper 1
Ã‚Â 1.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Online – Computer Based Test (CBT):
- The CBT covered questions from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with equal weightage to all subjects.
- The JEE Main 2014 Question Paper consisted of three parts with equal weightage to all the three subjects
- The candidates had to opt for the correct response for each question out of four responses given.
- Each question was allotted 4 marks. There was negative marking in the examination. One wrong answer deducted Ã‚Â¼ of the total marks.
2. Offline – Pen & Paper Based (Paper 1):
- The total duration of the examination was 3 hours.
- There were 30 questions from each subject namely Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- The JEE Main 2014 Question Paper was a multiple choice question paper with one correct answer from a choice of four answers for each question.
- All subjects carried equal weightage with each question carrying 4 marks for a correct answer.
- Every wrong answer resulted in deduction of one mark due to negative marking of Ã‚Â¼ (one fourth) of the total marks.
BITS Pilani CampusÃ‚Â
|Ã‚Â BITS PilaniÃ‚Â Campus||Cut offÃ‚Â BITSAT 2014 score|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electrical & Electronics||320-345|
|B.E.(Hons.): Computer Science||350-365|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electronics & Instrumentation||300-315|
|M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences||260-285|
|M.Sc.(Tech.): General Studies||270-280|
|M.Sc.(Tech.): Information Systems||270-290|
|BITS Goa Campus||Cut offÃ‚Â BITSAT-2014 score|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electrical and Electronics||390-300|
|B.E.(Hons.): Computer Science||300-315|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electronics & Instrumentation||270-290|
|M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences||270-285|
|M.Sc.(Tech.): Information Systems||260-270|
|Ã‚Â BITS Hyderabad Campus||Cut offÃ‚Â BITSAT-2014 score|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electrical and Electronics||300-305|
|B.E.(Hons.): Computer Science||300-320|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electronics & Communication||290-300|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electronics & Instrumentation||280-295|
|M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences||260-275|
|M.Sc.(Tech.): Information Systems||270-290|
|Category||% Reservation||Total Seats||Cut off Marks||% cutoff|
All the aforementioned discussion and comparisons done between JEE-Main and BITSAT help us gain an insight into both the examinations. We can draw our own conclusion from the facts above. However, the supremacy of the two doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t really matter. What really matters is the fact that both have carved their special niches in their respective fields. They both have made the country proud. They both have made the entire take a notice of our engineers.